Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A step in the right direction

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400

A step in the right direction

http://www.driven.co.nz/news/news/ne...ref=NZHNetwork

A shame I don't get to ride that road frequently anymore. But good to see that some of our money is being spent with us in mind.

Bike
    2008 R6
    Hey that's pretty cool. Those barriers are way better than the bare steel posts. I still think a solid barrier without "gaps" is better.... especially if they put some foam in front of it, but this solution for situations where "cheese grater" type barriers currently exist is awesome.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Finally seeing some progress towards Motorcycle Safety since the introduction of the MSL

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Hey that's pretty cool. Those barriers are way better than the bare steel posts. I still think a solid barrier without "gaps" is better.... especially if they put some foam in front of it, but this solution for situations where "cheese grater" type barriers currently exist is awesome.
    might find its cheese cutter, haven't seen any o those grater types.
    they should have air fences along all of our roads with at least 100m soft gravel runoff area to slow the offed rider down before they hit them. and add to that all riders should have automatically inflated air jackets and trou with roll cages around the bikes
    or here is a novel idea, ride to stay on ya fucken bike and focus less on fucken barriers.

try upskilling.

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    Finally seeing some progress towards Motorcycle Safety since the introduction of the MSL
    and you believe that heavily subsidized rider training is not progress towards motorcycle safety ?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    and you believe that heavily subsidized rider training is not progress towards motorcycle safety ?
    No not at all, I was directing what I said towards the one of the BIG issues that has be concerning a large number of motorcyclists for about nine years now.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I would have thought that these barriers would form part of the state highway system and be paid for by that body--If the $30 levy money is now being used for road barriers then this could well be the start of the slippery slope,one way to get rid of the pot of gold that has accumulated I suppose.

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    I would have thought that these barriers would form part of the state highway system and be paid for by that body--If the $30 levy money is now being used for road barriers then this could well be the start of the slippery slope,one way to get rid of the pot of gold that has accumulated I suppose.
    The barriers were existing along the stretch of road the story in the link is focused on. The levy paid for installing padding to the steel posts which hold those barriers up. Done purely in the interest of reducing injury should a rider come off his/her bike and be unfortunate enough to get tangled up in the steel posts.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
    The barriers were existing along the stretch of road the story in the link is focused on. The levy paid for installing padding to the steel posts which hold those barriers up. Done purely in the interest of reducing injury should a rider come off his/her bike and be unfortunate enough to get tangled up in the steel posts.
    that peice is an interesting peice of road, since the new alignment happened it's one of the worst wind spots on a bike anywhere, rode it on monday in gusty conditions and you had to be pretty positive on your skills, i bet it's taken a few riders, they cut a slice or two through some hills and now the wind comes from all sorts of angles

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloggy View Post
    Aha-sorry I did not realise the barriers were existing and it was just the padding,in which case I will gladly pay my levy-even though I have only used the hill once in the past 30 years.

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by russd7 View Post
    might find its cheese cutter, haven't seen any o those grater types.
    they should have air fences along all of our roads with at least 100m soft gravel runoff area to slow the offed rider down before they hit them. and add to that all riders should have automatically inflated air jackets and trou with roll cages around the bikes
    or here is a novel idea, ride to stay on ya fucken bike and focus less on fucken barriers.

try upskilling.
    Upskilling is good.... I truly believe it in. Having said that, back in the day when I was actually riding on the street, there was a particular corner that if we did a big group ride, even telling them before we started the ride, and taking it easy going through that stretch, we had at least 1 rider go down on ALMOST every ride. I know of 2 deaths on this particular corner (not the road related to the OP) .... now it was a blind corner decreasing radius tricky bugger, because just when you thought the road was going to go one way it went the other and tightened up. So many bikes/riders got mangled on that guard rail, we stopped going in that direction and started riding the road in the opposite direction, where that corner would no longer pose a hazard.

Upskill all you want, when a newbie panics and goes down, having the "cheese" whatever you wanna call it isn't a good idea.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm - alternatively don't fall off........

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    that peice is an interesting peice of road, since the new alignment happened it's one of the worst wind spots on a bike anywhere, rode it on monday in gusty conditions and you had to be pretty positive on your skills, i bet it's taken a few riders, they cut a slice or two through some hills and now the wind comes from all sorts of angles
    I agree, I felt the gusts really work against me the last couple of times through the Rimatakas.

As for the padding, the usual caution should still be taken, added padding or not.

Now if only we can get drivers to stay on their side of the lines, that'd be great.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Not sure if anybody has posted this yet, some info on the barriers from VicRoads which references the cheese cutter term.

VicRoads WRB

Bike
    2008 R6
    The article is correct.... the wires aren't the problem..... it is the posts that do the damage.

So... another time at band camp.... we were riding near Mont Tremblant and this one guy low-sided on a simple S bend (there was nothing to this corner - total rider error). Anyway, there were independent wooden posts.... he hit one at least, maybe more.... cleared one post from the ground. Yes, the post came out of the ground.... good thing it wasn't cemented in place. It was about 10 - 15 cm diameter. Dude almost died. fractured ribs, broken leg, punctured lung.... the list was huge. He was American and had to stay at the Hospital in Quebec for 45 days because he was too messed up to be moved.

Anyway - he made it.... and so did his limbs. Now if he had hit a bunch of solid metal posts..... I don't think he would have made it.

Thread Information