Thread: Riding in the Rain

Bike
    Wots I gots.

Riding in the Rain

Sometimes, can be quite fun.

A few years ago when I was working in Asia, we never had a car; the bride and children used taxis, and I rode an '02 Dyna daily to and from work, regardless of the weather. Which was fortuitous, as it rained most days, usually two or three times a day.

I brought that bike back with me, and as a result of all that wet weather riding she is outwardly pretty crappy and rusty - but still is fun and still very reliable.

Today I took one of the V8 bikes up to Turangi and back; The Excuse was, we were getting Internet installed at the Holiday Shed. Talk about wet - I did slow down compared to the usual (dry-weather) pace, but with a full-face helmet, Rev-It wet weather gear and Sidi boots, and care in the corners, it was still a terrifically fun ride.

Here's to wet roads in autumn with little traffic and lots of nice open straights with good wet weather gear!!!

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    I'm hearing you.
    I quite like the challenge of riding in rain and other adverse conditions.
    It all add to your experience and in the end you probably become a better rider because of that.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Sometimes, can be quite fun.

A few years ago when I was working in Asia, we never had a car; the bride and children used taxis, and I rode an '02 Dyna daily to and from work, regardless of the weather. Which was fortuitous, as it rained most days, usually two or three times a day.

I brought that bike back with me, and as a result of all that wet weather riding she is outwardly pretty crappy and rusty - but still is fun and still very reliable.

Today I took one of the V8 bikes up to Turangi and back; The Excuse was, we were getting Internet installed at the Holiday Shed. Talk about wet - I did slow down compared to the usual (dry-weather) pace, but with a full-face helmet, Rev-It wet weather gear and Sidi boots, and care in the corners, it was still a terrifically fun ride.

Here's to wet roads in autumn with little traffic and lots of nice open straights with good wet weather gear!!!
    Did you go Paraparas or Bulls way?

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Bulls up (well the Marton 'shortcut') Paras back. Still 4 traffic light stops and a few more single lane stretches to be wary of; plus mud and some rockslides along various edges. Would not have wanted to do it in the dark again yet, until after more repairs.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Gotta admit I'm getting less enthused riding in the rain. That said, I did about 10 years all weather etc. Now I've had a car licence for 3 odd years, yeah, when it's bucketing down I'm thinking fuckit, may as well be dry

My commuting is odd random hours though, to various places, so not like morning and night slogging through rush hour. Then I'd probably stay on the bike more. It's the short hops that mostly drive you nuts (like 5-10min). Get soaked, try not to soak the place you're visiting, gear up for short distance, repeat. Easier just getting in and out of a vehicle. The people that know me think it's hilarious I'm riding less
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    Yeah, I don't learn haha.

This morning the sun was shining (briefly, OK, so what :-) so I took a bike down to work. This late afternoon when I rode back home there was a majestic thunderstorm. But no worries... Just parked the bike to dry off, lit the fire, and left all the gear on the rack.

I'm sure a lot of the caged population were wondering what on earth that guy was thinking of riding in (Draggin') jeans and a (Rev-It) summertime jacket; but Que Le Foutre (WTF) as the French would say.

It's always a better day when I have been able to ride.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
    Bulls up (well the Marton 'shortcut') Paras back. Still 4 traffic light stops and a few more single lane stretches to be wary of; plus mud and some rockslides along various edges. Would not have wanted to do it in the dark again yet, until after more repairs.
    I know, I did the Paraparas on Sunday in a car in the rain. You sir are a hard man.
    It's borderline adventure bike material at the moment.

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Yep, often used to put my wet weathers on and go for a 3 or 4 hour ride for the hell of it. It can be a really good ride

Bike
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 RR
    I commute rain or shine about half an hour each way. The biggest downer with riding in the rain is having to put all the wet weather gear on - especially in the summer. That and my helmet likes to drip down the back of my neck when I look over my shoulder before changing lanes. 😠

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Riding a v8 bike would be a blast.... period.

My cbr1000f & sv1000 wiring slowly disintegrated from all my rainy commutes... very sad

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Supersize Me

Bike
    Wots I gots.
    My venerable '02 Dyna has actually done most of its 80+K in the rain, as a commuting, shopping and touring bike in the tropics. The engine came already powdercoated black, and over the next couple of years I powdercoated or flat-black-painted everything else apart from the forks and the brake discs. So it is looking fairly tatty but not rusty. I think flat black is a great colour for my version of a rat bike. (I should also say the only time it left me by the roadside was in the first 150 K of ownership, with what turned out to be a defective coil. Replaced under warranty and bike's never stranded me since).

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries
    buy that lanolin oil stuff from INOX --- keeps parts from ever rusting... just after the initial application gets wet, your bike smells like sheep/wet jumpers does the trick though (designed for digger tracks etc to not surface rust to shit) -- been fun riding the bike in the auckland rain today

Thread Information