Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 BMW R1200GS Adventure Long Term Review

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
    Bloody good review!
    I have a 2009 r1200gs. Thinking about going up to a GSA. Either a cam head or maybe at a stretch a GSA wet head.
    Can any answer this. I know the cam head had a engine upgrade. Now, am I correct in saying than my aftermarket goodies on my 2009 airhead would be able to be transferred to the cam head. Farkles like protection etc ?
    It probably depends on the part. I know the exhaust isn't compatible 09 to 10 for example. GS and GSA in 2010 got the upgrades (the GSA wasn't a year behind like some other points).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2016 R1200gs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    It probably depends on the part. I know the exhaust isn't compatible 09 to 10 for example. GS and GSA in 2010 got the upgrades (the GSA wasn't a year behind like some other points).
    I was thinking swapping accessories like brake /clutch cylinder protection, side stand foot enlarger,
    Headlight protection etc etc. what do ya think?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitdion View Post
    I was thinking swapping accessories like brake /clutch cylinder protection, side stand foot enlarger,
    Headlight protection etc etc. what do ya think?
    I would say it's probably going to depend specifically on each accessory (and who made it). Definitely better than average odds as those parts shouldn't change much, but there could be some variaton. ie, a quick look at side stand feet, some parts go 06-12, others go 06-09...

eg: https://shop.touratech.co.nz/headlig...p-to-2013.html
    Looks like that headlight protector is generic. What I actually did was previously bought the makrolon protector, then recently bought the metal mesh plus quick release, so now with the same brackets I can swap between the different protectors in seconds.

Failing that, try GS Boxers on AdvRider. A lot of guys on there know their stuff.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    interesting reading. I have just gone from the 1150RT to the F800ST. did look at the GS but as the main reason for getting out of the RT (apart from the ks getting up) was managing the size & weight, am not the tallest guy. I had 167000 on the RT & from the sounds of it I got away lightly with nothing breaking (apart from mirrors )
    Have written my thoughts on the ST in the Touring section if you are interested.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If you read AdvRider there are quite a few that switch from GS/GSA to RT and vice versa. The GS range actually make good tourers bar the extra wind protection and not totally suitable for the shorter folk. Some RTs also have the extra stuff like radio.

The last 6 months and 4000km haven't quite been smooth sailing. The final drive wore out, requiring replacement and very shortly after the drive shaft almost crapped out (luckily lasted long enough to get home), so the 120k mark was mostly spent in the shop

New final drive would have been $3k+ and drive shaft $1.5k... someone has become an Ebay addict scoring both lightly 2nd hand for $1.5k all up. I've just recently finalised purchase of an alternator, based on an international visitor having theirs fail at 140k a few days ago in the South Island... this is BMWs version of preventative maintenance - stockpiling spare parts.

Still wouldn't have anything else and gave it a good workout over Xmas break in the Waikato back country, including a few paper roads.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    . The GS range actually make good tourers bar the extra wind protection .
    Second that. Actually, less fairing is an advantage in howling crosswinds as recent trip to Invercargill and back attests.

. gave it a good workout over Xmas break in the Waikato back country, including a few paper roads.
    Don't suppose you have a GPS track?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Don't suppose you have a GPS track?
    Of course. When I get ... ahem, a round tuit, I'll update data on Adventure Riding NZ and NZ Open GPS. Ed already has the Gayne Rd track and it will be up in due course, and the other was the end of Moerangi Rd (I'll put up some pics). Both in the NZ Open GPS maps already, just things like Gayne Rd being marked as sealed... uh, not even a gravel road

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    sounds like I got really lucky with mine then.
    I didnt find the RT that bad with crosswinds, you just have to let the bike move under you to allow the weight to lean into it & maintain a good speed, certainly get moved around more on the ST.
    I never used the radio.
    SIGN HERE X

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's like watching a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    What a soft cock, who wears pants when posting on facebook?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skinman View Post
    sounds like I got really lucky with mine then.
    I didnt find the RT that bad with crosswinds, you just have to let the bike move under you to allow the weight to lean into it & maintain a good speed, certainly get moved around more on the ST.
    I never used the radio.
    To be fair I've kinda put it through hell. Almost 120k of everything you can pretty much do on a bike including gravel, mud, clay, seal, 2 up, long distance etc etc. Previous bike was a KTM 990SM and doing a fraction of what I've done on the BMW, I dinged the front rim twice and broke the rear sub frame twice in half the distance... nuff said I reckon.

Thread Information