Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What can be done about diesel spills? Rider crashed 3/07/16 on Takas

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Others made it though according to the OP as did the 5 riders you speak of here.......The difference?......Rider skillset?...Blind luck?.

Rider error...
    Yeah, you're good enough to pick up the front off your elbow and save it.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Others made it though according to the OP as did the 5 riders you speak of here.......The difference?......Rider skillset?...Blind luck?.

Rider error...

...fuck off cocksuck...another f-f-f-fucking hero is all we need...keyboard wanker or warrior...you are whichever one comes first...

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yeah, your good enough to pick up the front off your elbow and save it.
    Nope just not stupid enough to lay it over that far on a road well known for having diesel spills on it......

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...fuck off cocksuck...another f-f-f-fucking hero is all we need...keyboard wanker or warrior...you are whichever one comes first...
    A hardly ferguson rider and a southie.....You poor cunt.....Almost feel sorry for you almost......Prob a ranga too

Bike
    less than I used to have
    A hardly ferguson rider and a southie.....You poor cunt.....Almost feel sorry for you almost......Prob a ranga too

...carry on knobsuck...you are now my favourite, all round queer cunt...and keep dishing out your skill set gems...laughter is good for the soul...

Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...carry on knobsuck...you are now my favourite, all round queer cunt...and keep dishing out your skill set gems...laughter is good for the soul...
    Got a bit of a thing for gays and knobsucking the old southies don't they.

I see you get your witty come backs from Crasher also........Keep working on the sense of humor and I may forgive you...

Bike
    R100GSPD
    there is an element of luck for sure.I rode over the rimutakas for years,every weekend at speeds that i now cant beleive..At the same time i was involved in two motorcycle schools.I was very aware of the road surface,etc.As has been said you can smell the fresh diesel.and i usuually did.But one weekednd when a bus spilt diesel over half the hill(on the other side of the road) i did i nice overtake on a long right hander,but i didnt spot the slick as i crossed back over the centreline after completing the overtake.Lost the front in an instant.None of the others i was with crashed,and i would say that i was at least as observant as them,if not more so.It was the only crash i had on the road over a period of 15yrs or so.At that time i was prolly doing 40 k a year.So there is an element of luck involved.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    That was a useful tip there about looking for diesel spills on the first corner as an early warning of potential future spills further along the road. I'll note that down in future.

And guys, stop fighting. A fellow rider seriously hurt himself and you're at each other like wolves over whether or not it was his own fault.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    5 of the riders that went down would have likely done so because they were too focused on one another and not the road or had been under pressure to keep up. I had a rider go down in front of me once on a wet road and did not even come close to hitting him as I left a decent following distance.
    Or the lead rider could point out the hazards to the group behind, reducing the risk to those following. Sena comms are handy for warning others in your group about hazards too. #PairUp #BenefitsofGroupRiding

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Or the lead rider could point out the hazards to the group behind, reducing the risk to those following. Sena comms are handy for warning others in your group about hazards too. #PairUp #BenefitsofGroupRiding
    or even simple hand signals to each other,road cyclists do it a lot

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    5 of the riders that went down would have likely done so because they were too focused on one another and not the road or had been under pressure to keep up. I had a rider go down in front of me once on a wet road and did not even come close to hitting him as I left a decent following distance.
    None of the riders went down.

Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    Difficult to see how he could highlight the complete lack of traction any better than by sliding across it. Maybe he could have stopped, got off the bike and demonstrated that you couldn't actually stand on it either...

Chances are in the example given the lead rider would have been down before he had a chance to warn everyone. I think I would place more trust in having a decent following distance rather than rely on an intercom system.
    Again, none of your advice is relevant, and if you'd read the original post you'd discover why. Mind you, if you ever actually read anything you'd discover that the world is full of shit that doesn't involve "riders too focused on one another".

Now why did I bother with all that, eh?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    less than I used to have
    Sorry I just interpreted from your comment "stepped out" was your lingo for coming off.

...fuck off...there is no 'lingo', you understand...obviously...

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Forger about diesel spills...

Listenig to Cassina makes waterboarding sound like fun....
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Chances are in the example given the lead rider would have been down before he had a chance to warn everyone. I think I would place more trust in having a decent following distance rather than rely on an intercom system.
    That's because nobody wants to speak to you. HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    So old you won't care

Rider error...
    No - its just not that simple as blaming everything on rider error as is the trend with people usually selling rider training...

The biggest accident I ever had was in my teens when frankly we were riding desperate old shit heaps well outside their design parameters BUT in this case it had fuck all to do with it..

Descending left hander with farm entrance at the apex. My mate was riding 2 up in the left hand track and I was riding the right but behind by a safe margin. Farm track had be re gravelled and it spilled onto the road - he missed it - I didn't - low sided in a flash, didn't even hear the loose gravel rattling on the bike. I rode that road every week back then - was riding on gravel roads regularly and rode dirt bikes. OK - your first thought would be shitty old 6V lights but no - I'm an engineer - my bike had shit hot 12V lights thanks and no we were not going fast and there was even a street lamp - neither of us saw any gravel at all until we picked me out of the ditch...

Point is - even riding sedately - if you are looking through the corner - you are onto some hazards before you are even aware of them!

Weirdest hazard - hitting a truck (think BIG truck) load of horse carrots 2 up with Vicki and luggage on the Guzzi... Thankfully a car or 2 had been over already so it was compressed carrots. I was finding bits of carrot wedged in places for months (no not there - on the bike)

Thread Information