Advertise with Kiwi Biker
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 62

Thread: What can be done about diesel spills? Rider crashed 3/07/16 on Takas

  1. #31
    Join Date
    14th January 2013 - 18:39
    Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    No - its just not that simple as blaming everything on rider error as is the trend with people usually selling rider training...

    The biggest accident I ever had was in my teens when frankly we were riding desperate old shit heaps well outside their design parameters BUT in this case it had fuck all to do with it..

    Descending left hander with farm entrance at the apex. My mate was riding 2 up in the left hand track and I was riding the right but behind by a safe margin. Farm track had be re gravelled and it spilled onto the road - he missed it - I didn't - low sided in a flash, didn't even hear the loose gravel rattling on the bike. I rode that road every week back then - was riding on gravel roads regularly and rode dirt bikes. OK - your first thought would be shitty old 6V lights but no - I'm an engineer - my bike had shit hot 12V lights thanks and no we were not going fast and there was even a street lamp - neither of us saw any gravel at all until we picked me out of the ditch...

    Point is - even riding sedately - if you are looking through the corner - you are onto some hazards before you are even aware of them!

    Weirdest hazard - hitting a truck (think BIG truck) load of horse carrots 2 up with Vicki and luggage on the Guzzi... Thankfully a car or 2 had been over already so it was compressed carrots. I was finding bits of carrot wedged in places for months (no not there - on the bike)
    I am going to have an eye check, I know that with advancing age my eyes are not as sharp, the granddaughters often see the deer before I do these days.
    Another consideration for us returning more mature riders.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    10th December 2009 - 22:42
    Bike
    Honda Harley Suzuki Velocette and shit
    Location
    Canterbury
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I am going to have an eye check, I know that with advancing age my eyes are not as sharp, the granddaughters often see the deer before I do these days.
    Another consideration for us returning more mature riders.

    ...you ride with your eyes open?...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    14th January 2013 - 18:39
    Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Location
    Wanganui
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by ellipsis View Post
    ...you ride with your eyes open?...

    usually, until something is coming towards me..... lol

  4. #34
    Join Date
    4th October 2010 - 17:53
    Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Location
    On top of your wife
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    No - its just not that simple as blaming everything on rider error as is the trend with people usually selling rider training...

    The biggest accident I ever had was in my teens when frankly we were riding desperate old shit heaps well outside their design parameters BUT in this case it had fuck all to do with it..

    Descending left hander with farm entrance at the apex. My mate was riding 2 up in the left hand track and I was riding the right but behind by a safe margin. Farm track had be re gravelled and it spilled onto the road - he missed it - I didn't - low sided in a flash, didn't even hear the loose gravel rattling on the bike. I rode that road every week back then - was riding on gravel roads regularly and rode dirt bikes. OK - your first thought would be shitty old 6V lights but no - I'm an engineer - my bike had shit hot 12V lights thanks and no we were not going fast and there was even a street lamp - neither of us saw any gravel at all until we picked me out of the ditch...

    Point is - even riding sedately - if you are looking through the corner - you are onto some hazards before you are even aware of them!

    Weirdest hazard - hitting a truck (think BIG truck) load of horse carrots 2 up with Vicki and luggage on the Guzzi... Thankfully a car or 2 had been over already so it was compressed carrots. I was finding bits of carrot wedged in places for months (no not there - on the bike)
    Ohhhhh Fuck off here mate.....

    So if theres a tree in the middle of a bare paddock and 5 riders on bikes ride towards it and 4 riders see the said tree and avoid it via good luck or management the last one does not and hits it....

    WTF is this?.........

    That's right numb nuts the last riders fault for not seeing the hazard!!!....or tree in this case.

    Fuck off and google common sense will you..

  5. #35
    Join Date
    7th December 2007 - 12:09
    Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    2,145
    Now I get it....

    RGVforme is just out to ruffle anybodys feathers.....

    I mean nobody can be this thick and obnoxious

    Only cassina

    And her brother
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

  6. #36
    Join Date
    30th January 2004 - 11:00
    Bike
    2017 MT-09
    Location
    In a happy place - Kapiti
    Posts
    2,144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    There's no fucking way a low side caused by a diesel spill is rider error.

    I've come close to losing it a dozen times over there, and that's knowing full well the scope of the problem. I've followed 5 others going through the last right hander coming down the Hutt side where all six of us stepped out 4", both ends, one after another.

    The number of dodgy diesel tanks on the road is amazing, and the 'Takas cops a liberal dousing regularly from trucks filling up at Rimutaka or Featherston.

    And the only way you're ever going to fix the problem is to change the COF requirements so that a pressure test is done on every tank.

    Like every other bike related safety issue, not going to happen.
    Lets put aside the bitching on who's a safer rider blah blah. This point above gets me. Why the hell are trucks running around with fuel caps that are not fuel caps? I'm no truckie, so excuse my ignorance but every car I have owned takes 2 or 3 twists on a cap and hey presto - it's water tight! So it's not a lack of technology to blame.

    Sure truck fuel tanks are external but that is a cosmetic difference no more relevant than what colour is the vehicle to whether it will spill fuel or not. Car tanks are similar shape with similar 45 degree rising spouts ..with a cap on the opening. A cap that actually works.

    I'm stunned that WOF/COF checks on trucks & vans don't inspect the whole safety aspect of the explosive fuel containment. Sort of an obvious risk factor.

    I bet if I pulled into a VTNZ spilling petrol all over their feet, as I jump out of the car lighting a fag they would scream blue murder at me and fail the car. So how can trucks/vans get away with it?

    And to the Poster who said don't corner with lean that might cause a crash. Really! That's the whole point of being on a bike on a hilly road. It gives the rider a feeling often described by words like; happy happy joy joy, fun, enjoyable, exciting, exhilarating, friggin awesome...
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

  7. #37
    Join Date
    24th July 2006 - 11:53
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Why the hell are trucks running around with fuel caps that are not fuel caps? I'm no truckie, so excuse my ignorance but every car I have owned takes 2 or 3 twists on a cap and hey presto - it's water tight! So it's not a lack of technology to blame.
    There's a few standards car tank caps are mnufactured to comply with, most of them incorporate pressure/vacuum break systems, all of them fit for purpose. So as long as you're not running around with a rag stuffed in the hole chances are you'll be sealed up pretty good.

    I don't know about standards truck tank caps might be built to, but in my experience anything over 10 years old is likely to leak any time diesel laps up to the cap.

    I don't actually know what the COF rules say about fuel caps, (anyone?) But like I said tested compliance to a standard that actually ensures a seal is the only way you'll ever see any improvement.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

  8. #38
    Join Date
    8th January 2005 - 15:05
    Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    8,821
    Blog Entries
    1
    IIRC there is a section of the law that says it's an offence to drop stuff on the road. Stock trucks are specifically excluded. The exclusion does not relate to diesel.

    Where are SD and Rastus when you need them?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

  9. #39
    Join Date
    14th June 2011 - 01:46
    Bike
    Tracer GT
    Location
    Dunedin
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I don't actually know what the COF rules say about fuel caps, (anyone?)
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ms/fuel-system

    Relevant fail items are:
    8. The fuel filler cap or capless fuel filler seal is missing, insecure or likely to allow fuel spillage when the vehicle is in normal use.
    9. The fuel tank is fitted with a ‘temporary use’ fuel filler cap.

    Of course how the hell you test whether a cap is 'likely to allow fuel spillage in normal use' is a fine question, especially if the truckie turns up for the COF with a near empty tank.

    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    In a perfect world yes but Errrrrrrrr Nahhhhh.
    This isn't 'perfect world' stuff, we're not talking about a drip here and there.

    I wonder if the 5-0's are briefed at all about periodically checking trucks/campervans/etc for fuel spillage. Something as simple as, is the bodywork (or neck) under the filler wet with diesel.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

  10. #40
    Join Date
    4th October 2010 - 17:53
    Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Location
    On top of your wife
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ms/fuel-system

    Relevant fail items are:
    8. The fuel filler cap or capless fuel filler seal is missing, insecure or likely to allow fuel spillage when the vehicle is in normal use.
    9. The fuel tank is fitted with a ‘temporary use’ fuel filler cap.

    Of course how the hell you test whether a cap is 'likely to allow fuel spillage in normal use' is a fine question, especially if the truckie turns up for the COF with a near empty tank.



    This isn't 'perfect world' stuff, we're not talking about a drip here and there.

    I wonder if the 5-0's are briefed at all about periodically checking trucks/campervans/etc for fuel spillage. Something as simple as, is the bodywork (or neck) under the filler wet with diesel.

    Wank me a river of cum over this will you please.......Perfect world who lives in that....

  11. #41
    Join Date
    24th July 2006 - 11:53
    Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Location
    Wgtn
    Posts
    5,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Erelyes View Post
    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ms/fuel-system

    Relevant fail items are:
    8. The fuel filler cap or capless fuel filler seal is missing, insecure or likely to allow fuel spillage when the vehicle is in normal use.
    9. The fuel tank is fitted with a ‘temporary use’ fuel filler cap.

    Of course how the hell you test whether a cap is 'likely to allow fuel spillage in normal use' is a fine question, especially if the truckie turns up for the COF with a near empty tank.



    This isn't 'perfect world' stuff, we're not talking about a drip here and there.

    I wonder if the 5-0's are briefed at all about periodically checking trucks/campervans/etc for fuel spillage. Something as simple as, is the bodywork (or neck) under the filler wet with diesel.
    I could easily make a ring that fits over the neck of the fill pipe that changes colour if exposed to diesel. Get pulled over with the wrong colour showing = Green sticker.

    There are fixes for the problem, it's just that none of the entities required to implement a fix give a fuck.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

  12. #42
    Join Date
    4th October 2008 - 16:35
    Bike
    R100GSPD
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    9,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    I could easily make a ring that fits over the neck of the fill pipe that changes colour if exposed to diesel. Get pulled over with the wrong colour showing = Green sticker.

    There are fixes for the problem, it's just that none of the entities required to implement a fix give a fuck.
    because trucks make money for the govt,and those who are inconveienced are only mad cap motorcyclists,who will cry a river but continue to create a noce set of statistics for them selves

  13. #43
    Join Date
    27th September 2007 - 12:32
    Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    332
    What can be done ?.....

    Make sure... health, bike / car, life, house & mortgage repayment Insurances up to scratch in case you come a cropper from the shit these careless mother funkers dump on the road

    Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
    Supersize Me

  14. #44
    Join Date
    4th October 2010 - 17:53
    Bike
    2009 KTM990
    Location
    On top of your wife
    Posts
    226
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    Now I get it....

    RGVforme is just out to ruffle anybodys feathers.....

    I mean nobody can be this thick and obnoxious

    Only cassina

    And her brother
    .....You know any other tunes?......You played that one already...

  15. #45
    Join Date
    24th June 2004 - 17:27
    Bike
    So old you won't care
    Location
    Kapiti
    Posts
    7,827
    Quote Originally Posted by RGVforme View Post
    Fuck off and google common sense will you..
    Why? Do you need some help with common sense? In your case its unlikely to help...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •