Thread: RD400 Dyna ignition modification

Bike
    RD400C, GS1000

RD400 Dyna ignition modification

Dyna used to sell an ignition (points replacement) for the RD400 but stopped as it would also allow the bike to run backwards, which I guess created a situation they didn't want to be liable for.
    I'm looking at adapting a Dyna S system from another bike which is a fairly straight forward process but am wondering if there was any modification that could be made to stop it from running backwards. Advice only goes as far as getting the timing set spot on 2mm BTDC and making sure to kick it right through when starting and checking the tach for a reading to indicate it is running the right way.
    I found one discussion where someone had been advised they could add another magnet on the rotor just behind the existing one (as far as how it triggers is concerned so that if it did kick backwards the added magnet would trigger first and being too far advanced for the low speed the engine wouldn't fire) but this seems like it could cause other problems, anyone got any ideas?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Just fit the dyna. The chances of your ever having it start and run backwards are slim at best.

Bike
    husaberg
    What Grumph said, it will not harm the engine running backwards, just the owners underpants.If it ever happens.
    I had a soft tuned trail bike that used to do it on occasion. No harm ever occurred
    Ignition wise There is little else available for the Rd400 anyway, unless you are going to race it.
    From memory the points cranked RD400 accepts any of the TZ spec ignitions of that era, but not the CDI version.

PS Coffin tanked RD400's are f-ing epic
    Post a pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    RD400C, GS1000
    Thanks for the replies guys, I'll get the Dyna S on.
    Still in the middle of a big rebuild, was a bit of a basket case when I got it so it has been completely stripped.
    Full engine rebuild, expansion chambers, EU spec wire wheels blah blah blah
    getting a bit carried away I think, just bought some new decals for the switchblocks

Top pic was when I got it 2ish years ago
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0919s.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	322832

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160426_212321.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	322833

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh bollocks, won't run backwards unless the timing is stupid far out.

Cool bike. I'm watching a couple I know of. Need spare money and the right moment to pounce.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information