Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So what's the best sports tourer?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR

So what's the best sports tourer?

So whats the best Sports tourer currently?

New of course.

Shall we start with the old Bandit 1250? This has been on the market unchanged for 9 years now. And the current one on special is the GSX1250FA.

Strong reliable bikes that with a few mods can make 125hp and mid 80s flbs torque. Chuck some luggage at it and you can carry anything you would need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    S1000RR
    How deep is your pocket? I can think of couple of BMWs..

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    having just been looking around I would have to say the Sports Tourer idea is becoming less "Sport bike set up for touring" and more "adventure styled bike set up for road touring". Not many new models in the Sport Touring bracket really, unless you count the Super Duke GT and its not that new. Them and nekkids seem to be where the manufacturers are focusing.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    R1200r thingy or the S1000xr?

Im not buying one, say cost is no object but value is. You can buy 2 Bandits for one BMW.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post
    having just been looking around I would have to say the Sports Tourer idea is becoming less "Sport bike set up for touring" and more "adventure styled bike set up for road touring". Not many new models in the Sport Touring bracket really, unless you count the Super Duke GT and its not that new. Them and nekkids seem to be where the manufacturers are focusing.
    SDR GT could be called a Hyper-Sports Tourer?

But yes fair point.

Bike
    S1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Im not buying one, say cost is no object but value is. You can buy 2 Bandits for one BMW.
    Mmmm you are right... Then best bang for buck Sports Tourer? I'm gonna call Yamaha MT09 Tracer. Under $20k. Fancy electronics, full luggage and bonkers engine.

Your move.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    R1200GSA
    and yes, spend well over $30k and the world is your oyster
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Mmmm you are right... Then best bang for buck Sports Tourer? I'm gonna call Yamaha MT09 Tracer. Under $20k. Fancy electronics, full luggage and bonkers engine.

Your move.
    Forgot about that one. What about the Kawaka Z1000sx?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    R1200r thingy or the S1000xr?

Then why stick with new Alternatively, value of owning two identical bikes is no more than just own one, ie, the number you can ride at a time.

Yeh, I'm busting chops cos "what's the best..." is going to be subjective, thus should not be subject to just one subject's constraints

Oh, and it's obviously a heavily modified VFR800...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2010 Kawasaki Concours ZG1400
    As I haven't owned all of them I can't give an opinion on which one is ultimately the best.
    But I have owned a Bandit 1250 and currently own a Concours so can give my opinion on those two.
    My Bandit was the GSF1250SA with full touring package. Full fairings, 3 case hard luggage, touring screen and had aftermarket heated grips and an auto chain oiler.
    It was a bloody awesome bike that did everything quite well but it was not a good as the Concours.
    For two up touring with full luggage, the Concours has more space, a better seat for rider and passenger, it has quite a bit more grunt, and a bigger fuel tank and range between fill ups. There is no drive chain. It has the heated grips built in. I has a nice dash which displays just about everything you need to know. I love the tyre pressure sensors on the Concours. The Concours has far better weather and wind protection than the Bandit.
    The only slight advantage the Bandit has over the Concours in my opinion is the lighter weight of the Bandit. And then that only makes a difference when wheeling the bike around and riding at very slow speeds. Beyond walking pace the weight of the Concours just disappears.
    Both bikes are incredibly reliable.
    If I was looking for a replacement for the Concours, an FJR1300 would very likely be the next bike.

Bike
    2007 Suzuki SV1000s
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    yep, love the VFR800 but why does it have to be heavily modified? Is that a dig at NZSpokes, as in to carry his rather heavy load about + his b1tch Ed as pillion?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    First you have to define a Sports Tourer (if you're getting one). This could be anything from the Superduke GT (minimal wind protection but still has luggage), actually, the 990 Supermoto T could also be in that category, through to an ST1300/Concours 14. I wouldn't define those last two as tourers, as that's Goldwing / K1600GT territory. Others might say full dress means tourer.

Just to slice that cake a little more, you also have Adventure Tourers, like the R1200GS. Stats wise in the UK, most actually never leave the tarmac, but their upright ergos are favoured over the R1200RT for example.

For me, it would probably be an S1000XR, but there is no way I could have that and my licence at the same time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post

Ewwww really? By heavily modified you mean a VFR1200?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    First you have to define a Sports Tourer (if you're getting one). This could be anything from the Superduke GT (minimal wind protection but still has luggage), actually, the 990 Supermoto T could also be in that category, through to an ST1300/Concours 14. I wouldn't define those last two as tourers, as that's Goldwing / K1600GT territory. Others might say full dress means tourer.

Just to slice that cake a little more, you also have Adventure Tourers, like the R1200GS. Stats wise in the UK, most actually never leave the tarmac, but their upright ergos are favoured over the R1200RT for example.

For me, it would probably be an S1000XR, but there is no way I could have that and my licence at the same time
    ST and Concurs are more straight tourers? Not much sporty about them?

BMW call the S1000xr a Adventure Tourer?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzardNZ View Post
    yep, love the VFR800 but why does it have to be heavily modified?
    If you want it to be the best, then you gotta add some mods. None of this one size fits all racked suit type of bullshit, gotta go see a taylor at least

Ewwww really? By heavily modified you mean a VFR1200?
    Better than all the IL4 beigery anyway. Tourer should be something you enjoy riding for hours on end, not something designed to get you from A to B the most efficiently or economically. And no, the 1200 is irredeemably heavy.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Thread Information