Thread: Honda CT110 burning oil

Bike
    1980 Honda CT110

Honda CT110 burning oil

Hello,
    My old CT110 is a 1980 model, dual-ratio, 6V electrics, points ignition. Starts and runs fine but burns oil and keeps fouling plugs. Compression 115 psi. I'm thinking worn rings? Can I replace the rings with the engine still in place in the bike? Any help or ideas welcome, thanks.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    What's the mileage? Also, how well has the bike been treated?

Bike
    1980 Honda CT110
    Mileage unkown - instruments disconnected, was a farm bike, now used off-road for hunting & fishing etc. I just need it to be reliable, which it isn't with the rate the plugs keep fouling.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    OK.

At a guess, it's been run hard on cheap oil and generally knocked about. It's not good.

Check parts availability and pricing (for all I know you can buy replacement motors complete at reasonable prices) before making a call, but from the sounds of things it's strip, check, and rebuild time. I don't think there's a quick and easy on this.

Bike
    1980 Honda CT110
    Thanks, good idea, will look into replacement motor availability. cheers.

Bike
    SV 1000 S

Honda CT110 burning oil

These motors are pretty robust and simple. If bottom end is still ok then pull off the top end and give the barrel, piston and rings to shop to hone and fit new rings. Give the valve seats a quick tickle up with valve paste and hand stick with sucker. Put back together with new gaskets.
    Shouldn't cost much.
    Did my one like that a wee while ago and it now uses petrol only instead of 50/50 oil and petrol

Sent from my portable microwave emitter

Bike
    1980 Honda CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by avago View Post
    These motors are pretty robust and simple. If bottom end is still ok then pull off the top end and give the barrel, piston and rings to shop to hone and fit new rings. Give the valve seats a quick tickle up with valve paste and hand stick with sucker. Put back together with new gaskets.
    Shouldn't cost much.
    Did my one like that a wee while ago and it now uses petrol only instead of 50/50 oil and petrol
    Cheers for that, how can you tell if the bottom end is ok? And how much did the parts cost for your top end job?

Bike
    SV 1000 S
    Honestly I don't remember as it was a few years ago.
    Ring kits are now only about $60 plus gaskets and a mechanic shouldn't take more than an hour to hone the bore and slip on the rings for you. $200 all up for the job. As for the bottom end. If it has been running sweet and not high mileage with no knocking but just burning oil, you should be ok. They are robust engines. Ask a bike shop as they might have a trick or two to get an idea of bottom end condition.

Sent from my portable microwave emitter

Thread Information