Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Royal Enfield ADV/TOUR

Bike
    16' xtz125e super-adventure, Ninja 650
    Blog Entries

Royal Enfield ADV/TOUR

probably old news, just spotted it on their website : http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/bike/

called the Himilayan looks heavy and underpowered but that makes for a real ADVADVADV especially when you ADD-V stickers to it... rather awkward standing position there

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubbo View Post
    probably old news, just spotted it on their website : http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/himalayan/bike/

called the Himilayan looks heavy and underpowered but that makes for a real ADVADVADV especially when you ADD-V stickers to it... rather awkward standing position there
    Is that meant to be a 'beak'?? Talk about superfluous mudguard-age. Other than that I like it.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture

I think you'll find it a pleasant wee bike to ride. I rode the Bullet and the new conti' GT 500 a couple of weeks ago. Allowing they are still based on a 50 yr old design. They were reasonable rides. The GT was the obvious pick. With bikes based around an old 'brit single', you either get it, or you dont. It isnt about power or neck bending acceleration. They are 'putterers' they 'chuff' rather than pound.
    What people nowadays have lost sight of, is yeh 27bhp, and what seems modest torque? These bikes were attached to and used with sidecars back in the day. It's like the Czech made Jawa/CZ 350 2T, or simlar, only?25 bhp with good torque, and attached to a single adult sidecar and will cruise at 80km's all day.
    That 400 may seem underpowered, but it's a LONG STROKE engine it will produce brilliant 'low down grunt'.
    QUOTE:
    "The LS 410 comes with 24.5PS produced at 6,500rpm. But naturally, being a Royal Enfield the riding experience is going the be all about the torque that comes with the thump. 32Nm is a very generous amount and it’s just 3Nm less than the frenetic 372.3cc motor from KTM produces. However, in the Himalayan, torque peaks from a low 4,000-4,500rpm which is 3,250rpm lower than in the KTM. Royal Enfield says that given the amount of low end torque, 6-speed gearbox simply wasn’t needed so this bike sticks with a 5-speed."

http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusiv...d-test-review/

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-roy...t-ride-review/

I loved the Conti' GT, it was a grin inducing ride over the Paekak' hill both ways.... it isnt going to produce awesome acceleration or top speed, hardly much faster than a GN250, but the GT's harris design chassis was a gem on those tight bends, and riding it as you need to... 4-5 gear and let the torque, not rev's do the work??
    I also think the bike felt a bit 'strangled' a sport muffler and free flow air filter may free up a little 'extra'.

When TSS get the himalayan in, I will try an blag a road ride on it from Jimmy.... I had an XTZ660 a 'few' yrs ago, so will be an interesting 'comparison'.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    a Blue one
    Not coming to NZ though according to the dealer

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I hear the latest year models have a much smoother engine, I rode one of the GT when they came out a few years ago? it put my full knobblied DRZ to shame in terms of buzzy vibrating rides at highway speed >.>

Bike
    I hear the latest year models have a much smoother engine, I rode one of the GT when they came out a few years ago? it put my full knobblied DRZ to shame in terms of buzzy vibrating rides at highway speed >.>
    It would'nt have been a 'new' GT, if you rode it few yrs ago. They were only released last year. It's a 'homage' to the 250 continental GT of the 60's but has a Harris brothers designed frame, and is a 'pukka' cafe racer design.
    I rode one on a nice twisty 'back road'. 50-60mph and it was in it's element. It's not fast, it's just 'fun'.

https://rideapart.com/articles/first...continental-gt
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    I think you'll find it a pleasant wee bike to ride. I rode the Bullet and the new conti' GT 500 a couple of weeks ago. Allowing they are still based on a 50 yr old design. They were reasonable rides. The GT was the obvious pick. With bikes based around an old 'brit single', you either get it, or you dont. It isnt about power or neck bending acceleration. They are 'putterers' they 'chuff' rather than pound.
    What people nowadays have lost sight of, is yeh 27bhp, and what seems modest torque? These bikes were attached to and used with sidecars back in the day. It's like the Czech made Jawa/CZ 350 2T, or simlar, only?25 bhp with good torque, and attached to a single adult sidecar and will cruise at 80km's all day.
    That 400 may seem underpowered, but it's a LONG STROKE engine it will produce brilliant 'low down grunt'.
    QUOTE:
    "The LS 410 comes with 24.5PS produced at 6,500rpm. But naturally, being a Royal Enfield the riding experience is going the be all about the torque that comes with the thump. 32Nm is a very generous amount and it’s just 3Nm less than the frenetic 372.3cc motor from KTM produces. However, in the Himalayan, torque peaks from a low 4,000-4,500rpm which is 3,250rpm lower than in the KTM. Royal Enfield says that given the amount of low end torque, 6-speed gearbox simply wasn’t needed so this bike sticks with a 5-speed."

http://overdrive.in/reviews/exclusiv...d-test-review/

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-roy...t-ride-review/

I loved the Conti' GT, it was a grin inducing ride over the Paekak' hill both ways.... it isnt going to produce awesome acceleration or top speed, hardly much faster than a GN250, but the GT's harris design chassis was a gem on those tight bends, and riding it as you need to... 4-5 gear and let the torque, not rev's do the work??
    I also think the bike felt a bit 'strangled' a sport muffler and free flow air filter may free up a little 'extra'.

When TSS get the himalayan in, I will try an blag a road ride on it from Jimmy.... I had an XTZ660 a 'few' yrs ago, so will be an interesting 'comparison'.
    Why do you keep putting question marks after statements? Is it because you know how dumb it sounds to talk about torque the way you do?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    It would'nt have been a 'new' GT, if you rode it few yrs ago. They were only released last year. It's a 'homage' to the 250 continental GT of the 60's but has a Harris brothers designed frame, and is a 'pukka' cafe racer design.
    I rode one on a nice twisty 'back road'. 50-60mph and it was in it's element. It's not fast, it's just 'fun'.

https://rideapart.com/articles/first...continental-gt
    I bet you the DRZ which is a dirtbike would have been a more fun on that same road... anyway--- was looking into one because it looked nice, but after reading how badly made they are and myriad of problems if ever actually abused on rough roads i'll look past it --- next goal.. W800 with some panniers. least it'll get to 60000KM without engine problems and a lot more bang for buck whilst still having that look.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Why do you keep putting question marks after statements? Is it because you know how dumb it sounds to talk about torque the way you do?
    Why do you have to make dumb statements? to make yourself look a twat? Actually, you dont need to try!

troll FAIL !! <<<< ooooh look two exclamation marks, wanna make a dumbarse remark on those too?

Bike
    I bet you the DRZ which is a dirtbike would have been a more fun on that same road... anyway--- was looking into one because it looked nice, but after reading how badly made they are and myriad of problems if ever actually abused on rough roads i'll look past it --- next goal.. W800 with some panniers. least it'll get to 60000KM without engine problems and a lot more bang for buck whilst still having that look.
    Seems Kwaka are 'canning' the W800, not enough sales it seems. I'd agree completely on your comment on the pre last 5 or so yrs about Enfields, but like the Italians, Enfield has upped it's game with a modern factory. But I do agree they are not japanese type 'thrashable to bits', bikes. They are 'stately old gents' that are modernised in a way the original bikes needed to be.
    I havent read that the himalayn is badly made, most 'adventure' bikes need SERIOUS work on suspension, frame strengthening, etc to cope with real harsh terrain. Even the Bimmer GS's cant do it 'out the box'.
    The test I linked said they are simple, rugged, basic machines... exactly the type of bike that is an easy fix on the roadside.

Bike
    They're just bikes for hipsters and old men wanting to relive their youth now. Nothing wrong with that, but there are much better rides out there for those with more practical, and maybe fun, priorities .

Bike
    Suzuki Smash 2016. (Yes, really!)
    At 410 cc it's hardly overpowered.
    "Statistics are used as a drunk uses lampposts - for support, not illumination."

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    They're just bikes for hipsters and old men wanting to relive their youth now. Nothing wrong with that, but there are much better rides out there for those with more practical, and maybe fun, priorities .
    Well I'm close to 60, so fit the old. Re-living my youth? Hardly. I never stopped riding, and dont own a car. I am seriously considering adding a conti to my 'stable' next year. As I said in an earlier post, you either 'get it' or you dont with old 'brit singles'.... and having ridden the Conti over the Paekak' hill both directions?? may be low powered, but it was no slouch for handling. Sometimes FUN, isnt about BHP, speed or 22 million RPM.

Bike
    Sometimes FUN, isnt about BHP, speed or 22 million RPM.
    Didn't say you couldn't have fun on it. You can have fun on any bike

Conti is a 'different' bike and market.

Considering some owners of RE's with those same motors say they'd be fucked if they had an RE as their only bike, I think as something you want to take off the beaten track you're in for some decent spanner time ironing out and keeping away the faults.

As for the 'getting it' comment, have you ever thought that maybe you actually just don't 'get' BHP, high RPMs and or whatever else you deem unworthy?

I wouldn't throw an RE H out of bed, but if I had the cash in my hand to buy one for the purpose of an ADV bike, not a coffee chaser (nothing wrong with that either to be fair, you still get to ride a bike ) I'd be looking elsewhere, easily.

Thread Information