Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear sprocket swap question

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDuck View Post
    A mate tried retightening his rear axle a while back with a combination spanner and no idea whatever that it was supposed to go to 100 Nm... then went on tour. He got away with it but only just, it was far too loose and the alignment bolts ended up carrying chain loading. Chain was quite slack when we got back...
    Yeah mine is 150Nm and if i was doing by guesswork i wouldnt do it tight enough.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries

Support 250 topping out at 90-100?

I am disappoint.

Suuuurely a 250cc bike in 5th gear can manage 120. Going up 1 in front or down 2 on the rear should boost that top speed by about 10 KPHs but your bike should be capable of more than 95 at max RPMs.

Anyhoo, changing the sprockets is going to mess with your acceleration and your newtons and unless you do a lot of highway cruisin' you should put your money towards your next bike.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Convert it to the 520 chain.

You might gain a few horsepowers.

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Go buy the 17 tooth front sprocket, straight on swap chain fits fine.
    Look for the 17 tooth sprocket to fit a KeeWay Super Shadow. Its a bolt on change.
    No torque wrench needed, no special tools, just a simple little lock tab held on by two 6mm bolts.
    Bike will run comfortably at 100kph without sounding busy, all you loose is grunt when into a head wind.
    Then drill four 10mm holes in the top muffler backing plate and eight 10mm holes in the bottom muffler backing plate.
    Better sound and allows the engine to breath You will find the power increase doing this is small but worth it.
    Take the stupid plastic headlamp off and trow it in the bin, fit an aftermarket chopper lamp. Better light at night over the std 35amp shit unit.
    35,000 k on mine and still runs sweet as. Its been around the south island several times including the Brass Monkey Rally in one day from Blenheim.
    Attachment 323095
    I looked into changing the front sprocket but everyone said not to bother as id never find a 17t with the same internal spline. Guess they were wrong! Thanks for that info, and the muffler info too, the previous owner drilled a few holes and then riveted them up so ill look into that too

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    I am disappoint.

Suuuurely a 250cc bike in 5th gear can manage 120. Going up 1 in front or down 2 on the rear should boost that top speed by about 10 KPHs but your bike should be capable of more than 95 at max RPMs.

Anyhoo, changing the sprockets is going to mess with your acceleration and your newtons and unless you do a lot of highway cruisin' you should put your money towards your next bike.

The gears have always felt to close, and the motor is pulling high revs in 5th at 90kph. Most of my riding is daily to work, and is an hr round trip mostly on open highways.
    1st feels like an idle only gear
    2nd isnt used much at all, feels alot like 1st
    3rd is good for rolling up and through round abouts
    4th is a short stop between 3rd and 5th
    5th gives me about another 10kph from 4th

It feels like i need to stretch it out a bit as its clearly geared at the factory for city cruising, not highway use.

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    Quote Originally Posted by Subike View Post
    Go buy the 17 tooth front sprocket, straight on swap chain fits fine.
    Look for the 17 tooth sprocket to fit a KeeWay Super Shadow. Its a bolt on change.
    No torque wrench needed, no special tools, just a simple little lock tab held on by two 6mm bolts.
    Bike will run comfortably at 100kph without sounding busy, all you loose is grunt when into a head wind.
    Then drill four 10mm holes in the top muffler backing plate and eight 10mm holes in the bottom muffler backing plate.
    Better sound and allows the engine to breath You will find the power increase doing this is small but worth it.
    Take the stupid plastic headlamp off and trow it in the bin, fit an aftermarket chopper lamp. Better light at night over the std 35amp shit unit.
    35,000 k on mine and still runs sweet as. Its been around the south island several times including the Brass Monkey Rally in one day from Blenheim.
    Attachment 323095
    The headlamp is pretty lame, thats the next thing in the pipeline when i get my hands on some parts, twin headlights.

35,000kms, thats good to know, mine has only just clocked up 8,000km

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    Quote Originally Posted by malcy25 View Post
    As expected, Yamaha have a relatively std sprocket ID and bolt spacing across different models, just differing tooth count and chain size.

Buy one of these. But check yours first for that ID etc to make sure.

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR865

"50" Chain aka 530.
    Cheers for that, I was getting sick of catalogues that follow models not measurements , and was precisely what I was after

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    a few bar and seat mods
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160712_150604.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	797.9 KB 
ID:	323151  

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Quote Originally Posted by djsubjective View Post
    a few bar and seat mods
    Gag.....sorry but but youre making a bad thing worse

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Gag.....sorry but but youre making a bad thing worse
    Sorry, we cant all have OC (Otara County) choppers like you

Bike
    Dont have one now
    Sorry, we cant all have OC (Otara County) choppers like you
    There are usually redeeming features in most builds but what youve got there is seriously sick(in a bad way)
    as for what i have, look at my history......you might feel a bit shit.....

Bike
    TF125
    a few bar and seat mods
    Skippa's onto it, that's more than a bit shit. Do you by any chance rock any Sons Of Anarchy merchandise also? The SOA fleece track pants would look mean as fuck on a Lifan with upside down bars.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    He might no too Skip! likely he 'will though. OP=Original Poster That's you djsubjective I sincerely hope you aint travelling an hour a day on that piece of ply, bar work, OK your choice.
    Wife's first bike a Lifan LF250'(2008)could and did travel at 120-140 all day, sold it to a guy I knew in Wellington, so rode her down there too. Went OK, passed a guy in a Merc 350 SL going down the hill to Atiamuri at a clocked 150K, fastest it ever went, still going strong, great little bike.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2013 Lifan LF250
    They are reliable, but not much fun to ride as much as I have had to in the last cupla months.

Every day ive ridden into town through lots of wind & rain. i dont mind the rain, but ive hated these fine frosty mornings.

I flipped the bars for less wind drag on the frosty mornings, and easier to steer over ice on our rural road. Finished all my placements for uni so bars back to normal, but I like the lower seat, the original is like sitting on a couch.

No SOA fleecies for me, got a mate to sew some kevlar into my snowboarding threads.

Thread Information