Thread: Rhonda is not happy - Advice sought

Bike
    I Ride No More

Rhonda is not happy - Advice sought

Rhonda and I have been together for just over 7 years now, and have enjoyed
    over 83 thousand happy kms together. Over that time, she has been very well
    looked after, serviced regularly, with valve checks at recommended intervals.
    She is a 2008 Honda VFR800 VTEC.

However, more recently she seems to be showing signs of the seven year itch,
    and she has been causing me some concern. In the last six months, I've had
    to replace a stator, a wiring harness and most recently, the thermostat.
    She had not been idling at all well, and seemed to be running rich.

When I picked her up from the bike doctor in Lower Hutt this morning (after
    her thermostat operation), she was still idling high (2000 rpm instead of
    her normal 1200 rpm) when started from cold, and idling at 3000 rpm instead
    of her normal 2000 rpm when stopped after having been properly warmed up.

When cruising through slow traffic, she used to sit comfortably at 2000 rpm
    without need for throttle, whereas now she sits at 3000 rpm and is constantly
    trying to increase speed.

She sounds and feels rougher, more like a twin than her usual 'sewing machine
    smooth' V4. I also note slightly more engine noise from just behind the engine
    block, close to where the header pipes connect to the exhaust, but can't seem
    to locate the source.

The reason for posting was to see whether anyone else might have experienced
    similar symptoms with their dearly beloved (specifically the failure to idle well),
    but had managed to find a mutually satisfactory solution.

While one or two of you might suggest that I just 'ditch the bit..', Rhonda
    is well suited to my needs, and I'm not yet emotionally ready for separation.

Plus I don't have enough cash for divorce and to shack up with a younger model.

If any of you could come up with some helpful suggestions to explore, I'd be
    pleased to hear from you. Thanks.

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I'm wondering if you have semi clogged injectors?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    I'm wondering if you have semi clogged injectors?
    what was the bike doctors answere?

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    what was the bike doctors answere?
    MotoMart in Lower Hutt did the thermostat replacement and radiator flush, and said that the old thermostat had definitely failed and needed replacement. I took it for a 100Km+ run this afternoon to see if the situation had improved, but no noticeable improvement. No mechanics working this afternoon, so while they acknowledged there was still an issue, no diagnosis or comment at this stage. The machine is back with them to investigate further. Cheers.

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    MotoMart in Lower Hutt did the thermostat replacement and radiator flush, and said that the old thermostat had definitely failed and needed replacement. I took it for a 100Km+ run this afternoon to see if the situation had improved, but no noticeable improvement. No mechanics working this afternoon, so while they acknowledged there was still an issue, no diagnosis or comment at this stage. The machine is back with them to investigate further. Cheers.
    Erm, it's Motomart. I'd be inclined to take your Honda to a proper motorcycle workshop. I suspect a repair will be both quicker and cheaper.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    bike sold :-(
    sounds like the idle speed circuit is blocked, have a look at http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...ttle-body-assy and look at part number 3. this is a wax fast idle control and the water feed to these are very small and block up. not unusual to do a coolant flush on these disturb some sludge in this circuit and block it up, or if the coolant system hasn't been bled of air properly there may be a air lock stopping flow to the idle control wax assy. would get this checked first.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    sounds like the idle speed circuit is blocked, have a look at http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/...ttle-body-assy and look at part number 3. this is a wax fast idle control and the water feed to these are very small and block up. not unusual to do a coolant flush on these disturb some sludge in this circuit and block it up, or if the coolant system hasn't been bled of air properly there may be a air lock stopping flow to the idle control wax assy. would get this checked first.
    Hi, Thanks for the diagram and for the comments. I have been through the Haynes manual for the VFR, but there is not much material on trouble-shooting. Was trying to rationalise whether the issue was one of electronics (ECU) and air/fuel mixture, or whether it was one where the coolant circuit was not functioning as required. Appreciate the feedback. Cheers.

Bike
    I Ride No More

Rhonda is now much happier

Quote Originally Posted by spanner spinner View Post
    Hi, Thanks for the earlier feedback and the diagram. In the end, it turned out to be an actuator arm connected to one of the throttle bodies that was sticking (cylinder 4) and being held open. I passed on your diagram and comments to the head mechanic who was going to work on it this time, and can say that she is now idling at the right speeds and much more smoothly. Now to catch up on some missed riding. Cheers

Thread Information