Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I made the wrong decision last night

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVISE.

The only time I see people flash their lights coming up to an intersection is to signal other vehicles that you are letting them in. By flashing your lights, you're encouraging people to pull out in front of you.

Imagine lying on the side of the road with your bike wedged in a car door and the driver gets out and says "but you flashed for me to go".
    Yes, I was in the habit of flashing (sounds dodgy) but I thought about the message it was sending and I agree with you, it could easily be misinterpreted.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by haydes55 View Post
    DO NOT FOLLOW THIS ADVISE.

The only time I see people flash their lights coming up to an intersection is to signal other vehicles that you are letting them in. By flashing your lights, you're encouraging people to pull out in front of you.

Imagine lying on the side of the road with your bike wedged in a car door and the driver gets out and says "but you flashed for me to go".

Thanks for the heads up, I have not done this but have seen others. I forget that bikes have blinkers and still use hand signals.

Bike
    z800
    Always good to share these close calls and what ifs. Every time I feel I could have done better in a situation i have a quick think on what I would do differently next time.

When I was first starting out few years back had the car in front of me turning left, there was a car from that road wanting to turn right across my path. Needless to say due to my inexperience my positioning was so that the car turning right couldn't see me behind the car turning left. The car turning right pulls out, luckily I managed to brake and stop about 30cm from his drivers door. The look on the drivers face was "Holy shit where did you come from!" Very valuable lesson learnt that day. I was paying attention so was able to stop in time. But had I been in a better position to start with the whole situation could of been avoided. I only imagine what the outcome would of been if I wasn't alert.

Learning everyday....

Bike
    2000 kawasaki zzr1100, 88 1500 goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowDog View Post
    Thanks for posting. Yes, it is that last couple of KMs when we tend to go into auto-pilot.

I've had a couple of those happen in wet conditions and have had my arse saved by the ABS. Evertime I feel it kick in, I curse my poor decision making.

My 'heads up' from this is that: Pipping the horn, in a non-offensive manner and at all intersctions/roundabout, helps to alert the air-head cagers.

I now pip the horn, without having to think about it
    i could see that becoming real annoying if one happens to live near an intersection and every motorcyclist pipped their horn.

as the OP has said, be aware and have on out, no need to piss off the general public

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Isn't this a 'big pat on the back' circle.

The OP had a spastic moment. End of story.

Bike
    z800
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post

Always good to share a spastic moment, might save some one on here, somewhere, some time.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The US Hurt report found that 50% of all bike accidents were within a few miles of the riders home. Everytime I'm tempted to go for it on the miniature Eau Rouge at the bottom of our street, I remember this stat and back off.

Another 25% occurred after 10 PM on Saturday nights.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I have never had any problem with powerful brakes as if I dont want to stop too suddenly I just use one finger on the lever which reduces the sudden feel. I once demoed a Suzuki where the dealer warned me about the power of the brakes and when I returned it I said I had no problem with the brakes as they felt just like BMW brakes in how sudden they came on as I had experience riding one.
    double disc front brakes should be a lot more effective at stopping you, I think you'd notice a difference between something like a Hyongsungbung 250RRR and something fitted with a premium brand dual front disc brakes.

In other words, you might be compensating for strong brakes on bikes with strong brakes, but that may not be sufficient braking on bikes with weaker braking. So therefore the reverse could be true for someone coming from a bike with weaker brakes.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650

Who invited you ???

Just piss off and get ready for the Cold Kiwi - OK?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Who invited you ???

Just piss off and get ready for the Cold Kiwi - OK?
    The toy has been tested. Bloody motor had been on the floor in my garage when Tawa got flooded a few years ago...had to swap the fucken barrels and a piston the other night. Nearly ready now though.

Bike
    The toy has been tested. Bloody motor had been on the floor in my garage when Tawa got flooded a few years ago...had to swap the fucken barrels and a piston the other night. Nearly ready now though.
    Well off topic but good shit anyway.
    Pics?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Well off topic but good shit anyway.
    Pics?
    These ones are a surprise.

Not really off topic. The toy is fucken lethal, even more so now that it'll run on four.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Dual disks make fuck all difference untill temperature becomes a contributing factor.

Would you lot please fuck up about shit you no nothing of.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    My reply was to another poster that said they do make a difference in terms of braking effectiveness. All brakes heat up if you didnt know so I dont know what the fuck you are on about with your ramble about temperature being a "Contributing Factor".
    But he said "please".
    That was really restrained and polite in this case.
    Must have got a bonk this morning.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    These ones are a surprise.

Not really off topic. The toy is fucken lethal, even more so now that it'll run on four.
    Phuck, I Hope it has twin front discs that wont heat up too much. lol

Thread Information