Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I think I made the wrong decision last night

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    My reply was to another poster that said they do make a difference in terms of braking effectiveness. All brakes heat up if you didnt know so I dont know what the fuck you are on about with your ramble about temperature being a "Contributing Factor".
    Yes, but untill that heat is high enough that the braking is affected, a single disk will overcome the available traction or the weight of the bike every bit as well as two disks.

I will reiterate. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about, so shut your cunt mouth.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Phuck, I Hope it has twin front discs that wont heat up too much. lol
    Non at all up front.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yes, but untill that heat is high enough that the braking is affected, a single disk will overcome the available traction or the weight of the bike every bit as well as two disks.

I will reiterate. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about, so shut your cunt mouth.
    I asked this question on another forum, relating to middle weight adventure bikes with twin discs and nobody replied. I guess more for dissipating heat and keeping braking consistent rather than outright effectiveness. I've boiled the fluid on a single disc a couple of times. Eek!
    And yeah, not hard to lock the front with just a single disc, got that t shirt, too. Probably on the same day I boiled it.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Wonder if dual front discs on a large cruiser are beneficial. But them HDs aren't made for stoppn. Just drop the old boots down to de road and use dem engine brakes.

Exercise vigilance when approaching others on de road

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Wonder if dual front discs on a large cruiser are beneficial. But them HDs aren't made for stoppn. Just drop the old boots down to de road and use dem engine brakes.

I locked up the front wheel on my H-D Dynaglide T-Sport once, those behind me said they could see the smoke coming from the tyre.
    Oh, and it had a twin disc front.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    CB1300
    What you are wanking on about has nothing to do with the original discussion which was to do with different bikes having more powerful brakes than others and how a beginner rider could come to grief with trying to stop a bike with very powerful brakes. The issue you have brought up about heating up of brakes is a completly different topic for some reason you have got off on. Start a different thread if you want to discuss the stopping power of different brakes under different temperatures.
    Why?
    You didn't start a new thread to discuss different stopping powers or show off your skills with stronger than standard brakes when the original thread was someone questioning the choice to even use the brakes when other choices would have been safer and more efficient.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    What you are wanking on about has nothing to do with the original discussion which was to do with different bikes having more powerful brakes than others and how a beginner rider could come to grief with trying to stop a bike with very powerful brakes. The issue you have brought up about heating up of brakes is a completly different topic for some reason you have got off on. Start a different thread if you want to discuss the stopping power of different brakes under different temperatures.
    I pointed out that you didn't understand brakes, you should have looked into what I said and understood them before trying to make me look the ignorant one.

I was trying to contribute to the thread and it's original intent. Two ways even. The number of disks makes nowt difference unless you are on the track seriously riding like a cunt on the road..unless of course there's something wrong with them or the single disk is on a Buell. So don't pay that any attention. Also and more subtly, trying to encourage riders not to over analyse shit.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    I locked up the front wheel on my H-D Dynaglide T-Sport once, those behind me said they could see the smoke coming from the tyre.
    Oh, and it had a twin disc front.
    I thought the Harley brakes were shit when I've ridden them. But I was expecting the wrong thing. When applied the front end doesn't dive, apply more and the wheel locks. Rear brake at the same time though, loads the front and the bike finally turns. They work just fine, just gotta use them right.

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post

Exactly the tact I use on the ol Trumpy especially in the wet, and it's got the famous Lockheed calipers (as fitted to jet planes) Maybe why runways in GB are so long, (heard in pilot cabin "open flaps........wheels down........feet down".
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I thought the Harley brakes were shit when I've ridden them. But I was expecting the wrong thing. When applied the front end doesn't dive, apply more and the wheel locks. Rear brake at the same time though, loads the front and the bike finally turns. They work just fine, just gotta use them right.

Thanks Drew. Riding this 310kg bike is Certainly a big learning curve for me.

Bike
    Exercycle
    So to sum up, the OP made a correct decision in that he survived and neither bike or car suffered damage..

BUT he then made the wrong decision in coming on here and subjecting himself to abuse....

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    BUT he then made the wrong decision in coming on here and subjecting himself to abuse....
    Or provided a valuable learning experience for new motorcyclists...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Horn. Use it. All credit OP and great to have these frank discussions. So let's start using our horns more. Beep beep on my stebel wakes a possible hazard up real quick and then a friendly wave of thanks keeps them happy.
    We're are allowed to use them to creat awareness of our presence and it works a treat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    2017 Yamaha MT07
    Thanks for the good post, as a complete newbie to riding I will keep that advice locked away in my head!!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Steve View Post
    Take care out there, don't relax and always have your Plan B.
    I think you carried out your plan B subconciously as a lot of experienced riders would have. You recall a great level of detail so that shows your mind was active and recording hazards.
    Its a good practise to be wargaming in your mind various scenarious when you have the spare mental space and time to do it.

You did the best thing of all and that was to immediately reduce your impact velocity otherwise known as speed. I had a remarkeably similar incident about 200m after leaving my driveway. Cold tyres and cold brakes, old lady pulled out in front of me and stopped halfway across lane. I had the back wheel off the ground and landed sideways upright and inches from bumper like you. Bizarrely a family memeber was behind the old lady in the que also and witnessed!
    When its this close I'm not sure if you could accelarete past in time, your instincts chose to brake and they were evidently right.
    You should be able to stop in a bike length for each 10km/h of speed so at 40ish thats 8m, the car is 2m wide, big gamble to try and get past instead of low speed impact.
    But well done.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information