Thread: Motard gearing - road

Bike
    2010 Husaberg FE450

Motard gearing - road

Hi all,
    Anyone with a 450 KTM know a good gearing (sprocket) set up for the road? Lookinga t getting some dedicated road wheels to be able to swap out the dirt ones (heard it is a 20-30 min job once you know what you are doing and have a complete set to sub in).
    Am hoping to keep the front sprocket the same for dirt use and ideally keep the same chain.

Will not be 'racing' on road - just a bit of a blat around the Port Hills/Bays/Peninsula roads here in chch but prefer to do so on something more stable than the knobblies!

Cheers

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by Husabergkiwi View Post
    Hi all,
    Anyone with a 450 KTM know a good gearing (sprocket) set up for the road? Lookinga t getting some dedicated road wheels to be able to swap out the dirt ones (heard it is a 20-30 min job once you know what you are doing and have a complete set to sub in).
    Am hoping to keep the front sprocket the same for dirt use and ideally keep the same chain.

Will not be 'racing' on road - just a bit of a blat around the Port Hills/Bays/Peninsula roads here in chch but prefer to do so on something more stable than the knobblies!

Cheers
    I've got a set of motard wheels at home (Christchurch) that I no longer use if you are looking to buy.
    They have previously been fitted to my DRZ400/XR650R/KTM520..rear tyre has done less than 100km
    They are off a CBR400 and have been professionally painted black...call me on 021551969 if interested
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    I've got a set of motard wheels at home (Christchurch) that I no longer use if you are looking to buy.
    They have previously been fitted to my DRZ400/XR650R/KTM520..rear tyre has done less than 100km
    They are off a CBR400 and have been professionally painted black...call me on 021551969 if interested
    Do they slot straight into an XR650R? I'm looking for some motard wheels for my CRM 250 and apparently XR wheels (disc models) are a straight swap. I had intended getting some XR wheels and having 17" rims spoked onto the hubs so no need to have a brake caliper adapter. I've yet to find XR wheels, though......
    Manopausal.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    A Husky SMR450 can handle the road with 15/45. Do you know the KTM sprocket teeth and number of chainlinks?

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Do they slot straight into an XR650R? I'm looking for some motard wheels for my CRM 250 and apparently XR wheels (disc models) are a straight swap. I had intended getting some XR wheels and having 17" rims spoked onto the hubs so no need to have a brake caliper adapter. I've yet to find XR wheels, though......
    Not sure what you are talking about, there are no such thing as stock XR specific motard wheels??
    You can buy motard wheels from Torpedo7 etc that can be made up for any bike really, they are approx $1000 not incl tyres...I got my rims for $100 each.
    I have modified the CBR wheels several times to fit to my various road legal dirt bikes including my XR650R.Usually it was just a matter of machining up different spacers to fit each bike, but I've also had to change the bearing size to accomodate different width axles.
    You only need the adapter if you are changing brake disc size (I had a mate make up a adapter so I could use a 320mm disc)
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Thread Information