Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 and printing

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Windows 10 and printing

Updating Win7 PCs at work to Win10 before the July 29 deadline. PCs are all identical, on a domain. Printing is very hit and miss after the update - some PCs pick up the printers (shared from domain controller) straight off, others don't. Spooler is stopping and restarting. The number of Google hits indicates I'm not alone, but so far none of the fixes are consistently working. Printer drivers are up to date, PCs patches are up to date, DC patches are up to date.

Any one have any suggestions? (And before you say it Ax, Linux is not an option, we are too deep down the Microsoft rabbit hole to change)

W10 is ok but so far the changes are not worth the agro, W7 was probably as good as Microsoft are ever likely to get
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2011 Thunderbird
    Tried to update home computer from windows 8 to window10. Complete waste of time, one major problem was the accounting package had a complete hissy fit with w10 and decided not to talk to each other and play nice. Had to get hold of Microsoft and got the computer back to original state. Had similar probs with laptop, took about 2hrs on phone reboot and restart, IF it an't broke don't fix it!!!!!

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    I had the same problem at the office. Fucking Microsoft decided to auto-install Win10 without my permission. Completely screwed up our network, including printer. It cost me a morning trying to fix it all - if I could I would send the pricks a bill.
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Interfacing with hardware (even within the machine like the camera in a laptop) and the related drivers is the number 1 reason changing OS can be troublesome. If you're not alone it would appear whatever printer you're using doesn't have a good Win10 driver.

Honestly (and I'm getting this a fair bit) why, when everything is working fine, would you upgrade simply to get a free OS? Win7 will not magically break, has extended support through to 2019? (maybe 2020) which is around a hardware cycle away. Hell, I only ring MS for licencing issues anyway, fixing everything else ourselves. That said, if your IT is charging you by the hour, then this is an excellent money maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Virago View Post
    I had the same problem at the office. Fucking Microsoft decided to auto-install Win10 without my permission. Completely screwed up our network, including printer. It cost me a morning trying to fix it all - if I could I would send the pricks a bill.
    Give it a crack. This is because Microsoft changed the X at the top (against their very own design rules) so instead of it selecting the negative/cancel/no option, it now selected the postive/yes option. They've since released a patch because of the court case where a woman in the US took them to court and got $10,000.

Unfortunately I spend my time stopping/reverting it for clients. If I was personally affected (which obviously I avoid) I'd invoice them for all the hassle. Only way for them to learn. Take them to disputes tribunal, they can't send their lawyers in and it doesn't cost you much (other than time).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Updating Win7 PCs at work to Win10 before the July 29 deadline.

W10 is ok but so far the changes are not worth the agro, W7 was probably as good as Microsoft are ever likely to get
    What happens after July 29?

The comp genius at work says the same about W10 vs W7. Not worth the trouble.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    What happens after July 29?

The comp genius at work says the same about W10 vs W7. Not worth the trouble.
    You have to cough up for the hassles instead of getting them for free.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    You have to cough up for the hassles instead of getting them for free.
    They want you to pay them for making your perfectly good computer worse...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonu View Post
    They want you to pay them for making your perfectly good computer worse...
    No OS is perfect, but yeah that's the cost of early adoption! Still a better to be going 7 to 10 rather than those poor souls going 8 to 10. 8 was like Vista 2.0.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    If only we had a forum for Tech requests.....
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    CB1300
    Print drivers very rarely come via updates because they tend to break legacy systems.
    Back up your existing drivers before attempting anything.

If there is not an updated driver available from the printer supplier, Usually the fix is to uninstall your driver and run the installer in compatibility mode for the last known working OS.
    Alternative is to use a generic driver over lpt or raw.

Less likely but often fruitful make sure you can print via your server from your server. Uninstall the driver from the first. Connect from the run line to the printer: \\server\printer and let it sort itself out. Windows should select the right compatibility mode for any driver you have previously used. Natively compatibility modes are not employed during install via an installer because the installer was written before the os if you have a legacy one.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries

but srsly. the next windows release is going to be nix. but not functional polished nix like mac. shitty gen 1 (like windows 1) proprietary crap.

on the upside, we're soon to have a port of DX and then microsoft is going to end.

taking bets.
    Last edited by Akzle; 25th July 2016 at 17:22. Reason: fucking vowels and shit

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Appreciate all the comments - turned out to be WSD (web services for devices) automatically installing itself. A neat tip from Microsoft was to create a registry entry that prevents WSD for installing - but this has to be done before upgrading. But you don't know WSD is going to cause a problem till after the upgrade...
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    If only we had a forum for Tech requests.....
    I've had better answers from here than in "proper" IT type forums. Experts Exchange was good until they started charging
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I've had better answers from here than in "proper" IT type forums. Experts Exchange was good until they started charging
    True - Fuck Experts Exchange and their Paywalls.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    True - Fuck Experts Exchange and their Paywalls.
    Expert Sexchange?

Thread Information