Thread: Honda GB500

Bike
    1990 Honda GB500

Honda GB500

Hey guys, I have a 1989 GB 500. I am wondering if any of you know how to take out the carburetor on this bike? It is a one cylinder single carb bike, it is jammed up under the frame and I am confused on how to take it out. Does anybody know? Or if not does anybody have a manual that I can use to? Thanks!

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    I owned one, never had to remove the carb, but the manual stated remove the seat, rear wheel, mudguard, battery box, airbox, the carby is removed through the rear frame. For a 'supposedly basic' design, it seemed a hellva lot of work to remove a single carb from a single cylinder engine.

Check this 2009 KB thread for links.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ook-PDF-wanted!
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    1990 Honda GB500
    Ok thank you very much! I am looking through the manual as we speak. I much rather a CB175 carb removal lol! Much more simplistic.

Bike
    1990 Honda GB500
    Quote Originally Posted by awa355 View Post
    I owned one, never had to remove the carb, but the manual stated remove the seat, rear wheel, mudguard, battery box, airbox, the carby is removed through the rear frame. For a 'supposedly basic' design, it seemed a hellva lot of work to remove a single carb from a single cylinder engine.

Check this 2009 KB thread for links.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ook-PDF-wanted!

Ok thank you very much! I am looking through the manual as we speak. I much rather a CB175 carb removal lol! Much more simplistic.

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    I used to own a GB400 (different bike, yeah I know). Similar ordeal with the carburettor. I used to undo the insulator plate and stub pipe, push the carb back into the airbox a bit, rotate stub pipe 180 and push down, remove, then the carb could be taken out sideways through the frame. With a lot of fiddling.

Be careful if you're keen to try this, the insulator plates on these bikes get delicate with age and they're like hen's teeth to source. When I found mine was cracked and a bit had fallen off, I ended up having to hack something up out of sheet Teflon, there weren't spares anywhere.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I agree with OddDucks method,in fact its the only way.Sometimes I remove all the periphery stuff you can,especially the choke cable mechanism which is also easily damaged.Just take your time and don't force anything,eventually it will just fall out and you ask yourself "how did that happen"?-Over time you will get good at it.I have seen guys cut the airbox open which allows the carb to slide back further but you then need to fit a pod filter.

Thread Information