Thread: AC or DC lighting

Bike
    Suzuki SMX50 2002

AC or DC lighting

Hey all

Hoping someone can please help me on this - my Suzuki SMX does not have a battery, and I am trying to work out if the lighting circuit is AC or DC. There is a rectifier/regulator, but I think that this is just used to supply flashing voltage to the turn signals (the rectifier has 4 wire - one earth, one common (which comes from the stator i think, and 2 wire L1 and L2 that are supplying the turn signals). So i don't believe there is 12v DC on the bike, but is there any way of telling with a multimeter? I have tried but cannot interpret the voltage values to work it out!

If the lighting circuit is indeed AC, is it possible that it is not regulated, and only the turn signals are regulated?

I would expect to see a power input from the stator, and an output if it was an AC regulator would I not? I am 100% sure that the other 2 outputs are solely for the indicators....

Cheers
    B

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by bazbo View Post
    Hey all

Hoping someone can please help me on this - my Suzuki SMX does not have a battery, and I am trying to work out if the lighting circuit is AC or DC. There is a rectifier/regulator, but I think that this is just used to supply flashing voltage to the turn signals (the rectifier has 4 wire - one earth, one common (which comes from the stator i think, and 2 wire L1 and L2 that are supplying the turn signals). So i don't believe there is 12v DC on the bike, but is there any way of telling with a multimeter? I have tried but cannot interpret the voltage values to work it out!

If the lighting circuit is indeed AC, is it possible that it is not regulated, and only the turn signals are regulated?

I would expect to see a power input from the stator, and an output if it was an AC regulator would I not? I am 100% sure that the other 2 outputs are solely for the indicators....

Cheers
    B
    either ac or dc would have to be regulated or you'd get massive voltage differences through the revs and the bulbs would be shit low done, or blow if over revved

Bike
    A
    https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...50k1-k1-725033

The parts list for the SMX50 lists a rectifier, so that answers one question for you.

Bike
    Suzuki SMX50 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dl...50k1-k1-725033

The parts list for the SMX50 lists a rectifier, so that answer one question for you.
    yeah, but it is also referred to as a regulator in some places, and actually I have just found a wiring diagram (with the help of some Norwegian friends) and that says regulator too...diagram attached.

So i think it's AC., cos if it was a rectifier in the diagram, it would have to have an AC in from the magneto and a DC out? Whereas the diagram just shows a single wire in (Y) from the magneto, an earth, and Orange and LightBlue which are the flasher relay outputs....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rmxsmx-ledningsdiagram.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	323561

Thread Information