Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PunctureSafe

Bike
    ZZR 1100

PunctureSafe

Do any of you guys/gals recommend or not recommend using a product in your tyres like PunctureSafe?

Its seems sensible and logical to me to protect yourself against punctures, but does it work, is it safe and does it have any adverse effects on tyres?

https://www.puncturesafe.com/

Bike
    A
    When you get a puncture you still have to get the tyre repaired or replaced. The tyre fitter will love the slime in the tyre...

IMHO - Just get a puncture repair kit, it'll get you home or to a bike shop for repair.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    I would research a couple of things, does it work well with a big puncture like a stone gash and how much does it cost per tyre, given that the rear tyre will only be good for around 5000km on average. I would weigh it up against the dog turd type repairs which are easy to do and will also work on your mates bike. As I found out the other day at opua.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    When you get a puncture you still have to get the tyre repaired or replaced. The tyre fitter will love the slime in the tyre...

IMHO - Just get a puncture repair kit, it'll get you home or to a bike shop for repair.

The manufacturer claims you wont have to get it repaired or replaced so I wonder...

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    The manufacturer claims you wont have to get it repaired or replaced so I wonder...
    Ask yourself whether you're happy to punt your bike around with a cut or holed tyre? With some fancy slime holding the air in... Or would you prefer a proper repair?

There is a place for this type of slime, but I'd not rely on it for a big road bike myself.

Bike
    ZZR 1100
    Ask yourself whether you're happy to punt your bike around with a cut or holed tyre? With some fancy slime holding the air in... Or would you prefer a proper repair?

There is a place for this type of slime, but I'd not rely on it for a big road bike myself.
    I see your point about a repair. I just dont like the idea of getting a puncture at all especially at 100-120k's

My attitude is, if its got slime in the tyre after a puncture that was stopped and needed a proper repair, pay some other fucker to fix it.

Bike
    less than I used to have

...what he is really saying is, don't be silly...the only thing between you and the road is a few millimeters of rubber...think about it...or get the bus, it's much safer...

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    There's also the potential balance issue, and addition of unsprung weight, for what is likely no gain whatsoever...
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassai View Post
    I see your point about a repair. I just dont like the idea of getting a puncture at all especially at 100-120k's

My attitude is, if its got slime in the tyre after a puncture that was stopped and needed a proper repair, pay some other fucker to fix it.
    Generally speaking a puncture will go flat slow enough that you will get warning about what is happening. A blow out is different and no amount of slime is going to help out in that situation. I have not seen a blowout on a motorbike in a long time and doubt that modern tyre construction would let go like that.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Steer well clear if you have stuff like tyre pressure monitoring systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    crack a couple of #5 lead shotshells into your tyre with a slop of green antifreeze.

same diff.

Bike
    GSX1300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Generally speaking a puncture will go flat slow enough that you will get warning about what is happening.

That's true but it still PITA parking the bike on the side of the road and calling the wife to make a 100K round trip to help.

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Buy yourself a puncture kit. I have one I have used twice I have just bought new gas cartridges.

All you need to do is find hole, push dog turd repair into hole then pump up tyre with the supplied gas cartridges. Then Ride bike slowly to nearest petrol station check the tyre pressure is close to correct and ride home.

Like I said, it has saved my bacon twice.

"No matter what bike you ride. It's all the same wind in your face"

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepLogic View Post
    That's true but it still PITA parking the bike on the side of the road and calling the wife to make a 100K round trip to help.
    Ive used a turd punture kit 3 times, twice on other peoples bikes and once on mine. Works every time and only take a few mins to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Ive used a turd punture kit 3 times, twice on other peoples bikes and once on mine. Works every time and only take a few mins to use.
    Same as that

Thread Information