Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    And to add... yes the front mud guard has been lowered to suit, indicators are now LED version on the side of the top fairing.
    Electrics are to be up graded as are the forks, I have new stanching's and progressive spring when the forks are to be done. Love the USD but I have not this on the Kat, to far gone with the kat to change now...the EZ will have long swingarm, USD and look mean.
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I've never understood why anyone would go for the empty space under the seat where the airbox and battery box would normally go.

It just looks wrong.
    Could not agree more!
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Could not agree more!
    It's one thing if the space is utilized to fit a single shock but the plastic side covers just look odd with the empty space behind them.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Hi I have built a 750/1100 Kat. the best option for an engine is a 1135EFE, these are grunt motors and are still used for drag racing today.
    They are the last of the roller crank motors and the crank come welded from factory. You can take them out to 1400cc but the most popular is the 1230 kit.

The engine goes straight in, with new bottom engine mount which you can find drawings for on line.
    I went with the EFE CDI and changed the wiring to suit which was not hard, I most likely will have the drawing some where.
    The 1135 engine is a beast... last of the air cooled. They come from 84-86 GSX bikes.

let me know if you have ant questions.
    cheers
    Some great bikes there! My Kat has a GSX1100E engine so bits of two of your bikes. As for the 1135 how about this one?
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1133008879.htm

I talked to that guy (good man on the phone) and considered doing a deal (swap mine). He mentioned that engine is getting tired so I think mine is ok for now (first suspension etc and later engine not other way around).

I sure do have a question if you know and that is just any estimate for costs involved in any specific USD option for the Kat which I think is essentially the same as period GSX1100s generally. I hear the later GSXR forks are just to short and the early ones are just to hard to find (but I will keep trying). Totally inspired by your stable and pics. I'm not generally up and down but I seem to be over the poor Kat recently, still summer is coming and once I am riding it as is things might change. The standard shocks with those I would imagine well improved breaks look good. That is what I notice most riding it, slow to pull up (unfair to compare to Blade though not sure how much difference is in the better setup on the standard suspension. Bigger wheels on standard swingarm could be a go still with decent back shocks replacement.

Thanks heaps for sharing those wire wheels look fantastic! Maybe I just need to see something like that in the flesh and get a new perspective.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    If you want all the benefits of an 1135 but prefer the older look engine, you can use the crank & rods, clutch, sleeves & Pistons & bigger inlet valves & cams in the earlier cases & head with virtually no fuss.
    Machining the head for the valves & boring the block for the bigger sleeves is the only machining cost.
    That is good to know. I don't mind so much either way, I like that big wide standard motor and it find it decent as it (mine is GSX1100E but with Kat spec carb setup (as told by seller) and horrible loud single exhaust. Of course I have ridden my Blade down the drag strip for an afternoon and in 6-7 open days (in the slow group) and daily for 53,000kms since I rode it last so I might have a change in perspective since then. I do remember it just pulling like mad but would be nice to have another gear on the long commute.

Nice to know you can drop in the 1135 (if you can find one as I've looked for another GSX1100 engine for years with no joy at all so one could be done up on the side) or just get the benefits and keep the original. Mmmm you guys are leaning me back to keeping more original look and just improving the ride and breaks. Way more achievable and they are great to look at in any form (to my eye).

Bike
    I've never understood why anyone would go for the empty space under the seat where the airbox and battery box would normally go.

It just looks wrong.
    Reading the threat on that build most people say the same thing. I like some space in there because it looks modern but I agree with the comments that at least an angled up end to the plastic sides would be nicer. The pot bigger filters as images above look better than tiny ones (to me) but I'd probably get over the noise on the commute. I'm starting to see reason though. Maybe long term what I actually need is two Kat's one full retard and another just slightly improved on standard (both 750 base I refuse to mess up a perfectly good 1100 Kat when you can just create one from a 750 with additional engine mounts).

Bike
    The C**t.
    Very nice, can also use tl1000r or re-sprung nsr 250 USD's, share the same tokico 4 pots but youll need a drop knuckle triple as mentioned earlier.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Very nice, can also use tl1000r or re-sprung nsr 250 USD's, share the same tokico 4 pots but youll need a drop knuckle triple as mentioned earlier.
    Sweet. Looking at it what I need is enough to understand a front end to buy and the implications to price and ride of said front end. On that what really are the differences. Some front ends 'bolt on' it seems with just bearing changes. Others need a lot of machining or adjusting the frame generally. I guess what I need to understand is what front ends can bolt on and if one option is say a few hundred and others are many more hundreds. Or concepts like a good builder could be expected to charge up to X in time and you'd need up to Y in additional parts.

If a GSXR750 1991-1993 front end just needs a few bearings and a day of effort but a tl1000r requires about two days of machining and then it is similar. That is really where I have no idea. Collecting a list of ends that would be suitable (and the tl1000r would seem to be great, in the family, comes from big bike, looks great, love the bike never hurts) that are not substantially more expensive than another option (say $500 either way on a build like this is no big deal or if it is actually available verses impossible then $1000 difference is completely acceptable).

So I am adding them to the list but what I would love to understand is if they are 'will work but three times the price of other options that will work' or will work and relatively the same as the idea options.

It is good though because I am just starting to understand really this is about the front end, the back is fairly understandable and I actually have an appropriate Bandit 1200 swing arm, understand what it needs (generally) and wheels for it are no hens teeth to find.

Another question generally is aside from ebay (which I've had no joy at all on my list of parts I'd just buy if I could find them) are there other good sources like maybe local wreckers that do older GSXR or say US/UK big breakers that are worth contacting and who will ship overseas.

Bike
    The C**t.
    For my GS650 i literally lopped the triple tree in half and had a certified welder stick a big steel bar up the middle of it and welded it in when i used the nsr250 front end to make it tall enough to fit through the katana frame. the front did sit around 32mm down from stock mostly due to the fact i didnt respring the nsr shocks. Still rode well but i always intended to respring them... I sold the motor out of it years ago and the bike ended up lapsing so if you want to buy the NSR front end with twin tokico 4 pots and front wheel with tyre im happy to take a decent offer on it, then you can look into a drop knuckle triple and whats involved in fitting it. It's been done alot on various bikes over at www.customfighters.com if you are looking for more info/ try asking there.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Various things
    Could not agree more!
    It's one thing if the space is utilized to fit a single shock but the plastic side covers just look odd with the empty space behind them.
    Nah fuck that! Kat's with single shock rear ends look like poos. Nothing wrong with this look I say...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KATANA1135R-8b90b.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	323817

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Nah fuck that! Kat's with single shock rear ends look like poos. Nothing wrong with this look I say...
    I see tears on our horizon.

Bike
    Various things
    I see tears on our horizon.
    Lol. I wonder what it would look like, if you made up some side panel extentions and tried to get it to flow into the underside of the seat...

Bike
    motocompo
    Anyway, this katana build should be a hoot, I reckon he should turbo it, that's the bit of awesome it needs.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Anyway, this katana build should be a hoot, I reckon he should turbo it, that's the bit of awesome it needs.
    The sc12 superchargers off the 4age aw11 toyota mr2's are a damn good giggle, be a nice linear pull on a bike... heck with it lets slap a turbo on there too a bit of Group B rally compound

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    He could get the heads punched as well.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Thread Information