Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Great read man. Long way from that damn ugly red thing you used to have anyway

What a journey!
    Just ride.

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneY View Post
    Great read man. Long way from that damn ugly red thing you used to have anyway

What a journey!
    Nnnnoooooo for the record I believe the early Ducati Multistrada to be the most ugly and unreliable bike I've ever owned, gives me Motormart flash backs. There are no true upright sports bikes, learn to bend.

Good to see you here StoneY.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Nah. That'll be Mike Strand. He has many Pop Up Headlight Kats. Mike was in spares, I was in sales. Office on the cnr by the counter. I only brought my Katana after I'd left there.
    Right. So you are pre-popup also then huh. Nice. If they had made an 1100cc popup I'd be in. I'd not have the heard to mess up a standard Katana but mine came pre-messed so they are open to more.

I've got to sell my 7/11 and the 92 GSXR750. I might put them up on a tread here see what people think they are worth. I remember when I brought the 7/11 the guy discussed it on kiwibiker and someone said something like "I'll give you a dozen and packet of chips, no kettle fry."

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    I'd not have the heard to mess up a standard Katana but mine came pre-messed so they are open to more.
    Mines one I got in from California, so a GSX1000. It's also got some quite cool (to me anyhow) period correct hot rod parts on it, so it's not one I'm too worried about trying to make/keep original. Need to get a few other bike projects out of the way before I can afford to start the build.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Mines one I got in from California, so a GSX1000. It's also got some quite cool (to me anyhow) period correct hot rod parts on it, so it's not one I'm too worried about trying to make/keep original. Need to get a few other bike projects out of the way before I can afford to start the build.
    Someone else with a Kat and plan to do one up! Excellent. Really I didn't do the work myself. I brought it done (for the track) and had Bruce Lewis from Wellington Motor Cycle Inspection Services sort it for the road. I've still got the 1992 GSXR750 (running parts bike) and 7/11 which I'd love to do but more realistically will sell.

Be really interested to follow your build if you post it.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Arronduke View Post
    Hi I have built a 750/1100 Kat. the best option for an engine is a 1135EFE, these are grunt motors and are still used for drag racing today.
    They are the last of the roller crank motors and the crank come welded from factory. You can take them out to 1400cc but the most popular is the 1230 kit.

The engine goes straight in, with new bottom engine mount which you can find drawings for on line.
    I went with the EFE CDI and changed the wiring to suit which was not hard, I most likely will have the drawing some where.

The bike is quite different now as this is an old photo. I have the standard swingarm running a 170 18in and 120 17in on the front. CBR 900 discs with Kawasaki twin pot calipers on the front.

I am also building a GSX1100E with GSXR11 USD forks, Honda triple clamps as the are raised to gain ground clearance, bandit swingarm and wheel. I have most parts and the build will start after some Kat work and my RG5 is finished. I purchased most of the fitting parts for the GSX11 of bandit man as the link earlier in this thread.

The 1135 engine is a beast... last of the air cooled. They come from 84-86 GSX bikes.

let me know if you have ant questions.
    cheers

Just looking back on this epic answer (thanks). It turned out the bike I ended up with has the 1135 and it really is great. I do not find myself thinking about the Fireblade when I turn on the 1135. Sits at a nice just over 4000 at 100km/r. Pulls from everywhere. Smoothies are a little interesting to live with but I'm getting use to shutting them off manually. Be great to see that Kat of yours one day. Once mine is in paint etc I will ride it everywhere (next summer) and see if I cannot hook up a wee look with some faithful.

Bike

Just brought another GSX1100EFE (aka 1135 aka 1150) engine for the Kat

So now we are road legal the bike needed a few more things to make it road worthy. This week it got a set of S21 tires (great wearing semi track tires which have been good on track on the Blade and survived a fair amount of commuting). Also getting a 520 chain conversion targeting a narrow chain to get some more clearance between the tire (which the chain notched at some point and is very close to) and frame which it is also very close to). That will make it good enough for regular commute (though the non-shutting off smooth bore carbs are still tricky I kind of like their cruise control features).

Just tonight I went mad and brought another GSX1100EFE engine (which is what it has now). Reason? Current engine has 80,000kms and I do around 40,000 a year plus probably take it to the track (gently) and maybe the street sprints etc. Finally I am pretty sure it popped out of gear a few times in the low gears. These engines are so rare I know I'd hate myself for not getting it (and kick myself at some point due to expense of inconvenience of taking bike off road for rebuild).

Now I have to sell the old 7/11 Katana I also have (someone coming to look at it next weekend). Also the old 92 GSXR750 I got to help do the 7/11 up (front end changes over) the GIX cost me $1200 and have no lights, missing/broken fairings etc but it runs. Finally I'll go full retard and sell the fireblade for $$ to really get into the Kat (paint, rebuild new engine, probably rebuild suspension etc).

Godz in the end it will be a great machine that never will ride like the Blade and possibly kill me trying to commute in the Wellington filter... We will see.

Bike
    motocompo
    Re the lower front engine mount, 1135 bolts straight in where 1100 came out, it is only when bolting them into a 750 frame that the mounts are needed, as the mounting point on the chassis is further back.
    Most hot rodded katanas were 750's to start with, because they were cheaper & easier to get.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Re the lower front engine mount, 1135 bolts straight in where 1100 came out, it is only when bolting them into a 750 frame that the mounts are needed, as the mounting point on the chassis is further back.
    Most hot rodded katanas were 750's to start with, because they were cheaper & easier to get.
    Yeah that is another reason I love my 1135 as it was a genuine 1100 originally. Personally I think you should not mess up an 1100 but I can still like it given it came that way.

I really have to sell some gear it has been REALLY expensive recently in bike land. The Kat still has plenty of $$ to go in paint, 520 conversion etc. I wonder how many people in history have sold a 2015 Blade to do up a 1982 Katana . Some would call that insanity but the I'm sure many others understand. It will be even funnier when the reality of the Katana sees me riding a KR150 150kms a day while it gets painted etc. The mighty KR a 150cc two stroke that is said to do 160km/h from standard. Gods it needs some $$ to for chain, sprockets, tires and re-registration. I'll want to do all the fluids etc also.

I'll know why I did mind every time I see the finished product sitting in town or carving up the commute. I LOVE to see a Kat on the road and I almost never do. I've not even seen one at a bike show in ages (other than when I took my soon to be sold standard 7/11 to chrome rockers last year and parked it between some Harleys (one with a totally chewed up back tire which I was really impressed to see).

A Blade and a Katana makes me think I should be driving a Rapier.

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah that is another reason I love my 1135 as it was a genuine 1100 originally. Personally I think you should not mess up an 1100 but I can still like it given it came that way.

I really have to sell some gear it has been REALLY expensive recently in bike land. The Kat still has plenty of $$ to go in paint, 520 conversion etc. I wonder how many people in history have sold a 2015 Blade to do up a 1982 Katana . Some would call that insanity but the I'm sure many others understand. It will be even funnier when the reality of the Katana sees me riding a KR150 150kms a day while it gets painted etc. The mighty KR a 150cc two stroke that is said to do 160km/h from standard. Gods it needs some $$ to for chain, sprockets, tires and re-registration. I'll want to do all the fluids etc also.

I'll know why I did mind every time I see the finished product sitting in town or carving up the commute. I LOVE to see a Kat on the road and I almost never do. I've not even seen one at a bike show in ages (other than when I took my soon to be sold standard 7/11 to chrome rockers last year and parked it between some Harleys (one with a totally chewed up back tire which I was really impressed to see).

http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/2035
    http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/2053
    front from
    http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTF308
    Rear seems to be
    http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/sprocket/JTR1825
    I always wondered if a GN400 was good for anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle

God no...a thousand times no....

An Olds Cutlass would fit nicely with the Kat.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Or a Stiletto...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stil2.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	284.0 KB 
ID:	330957  
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    God no...a thousand times no....

An Olds Cutlass would fit nicely with the Kat.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Or a Stiletto...
    Sorry guys Droop snout of the Kat Screams Vauxhall Chevette

or maybe if i drop the sarcasm level

Plymouth Superbird
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Sorry guys Droop snout of the Kat Screams Vauxhall Chevette
    or maybe if i drop the sarcasm level
    Plymouth Superbird
    Disqualified as not named for a blade....

The only other one I can remember - Buick LeSaber.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Disqualified as not named for a blade....

The only other one I can remember - Buick LeSaber.
    I was more making a statement of the styling
    but if swords are the prerequisite Excalibur

Dagger

Scimiter

Triumph Toledo
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information