Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R

Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Years back I started a thread on doing up a 7/11 1982 Katana which I have.

Since then I've changed the chain and sprockets over to the lighter (530 conversion) and purchased a Bandit 1200 1997-2002 swing arm (but nothing else). Presently it is in getting the clutch sorted with Bruce from Motorcycle Inspection Services who is sharpening it up with better springs and will look it over generally.

I'm still keen on the suspension and breaks (more so than the motor which is good enough for now). I've read this site a lot

http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_suspension.html

Particularly

"upside down forks, 1993 GSX-R 750 front ends fit best for the Katana. '93 are the longest but the 1994 and 1995 also work.'92-'98 GSXR 1100 forks work ... The GSX-R 750 forks however, are 1" shorter than the GSX-R 1100, which can be augmented by installing Honda 954 drop triples. "

I've looked for ages but they are rare at least I've never found them or another GSX1100 engine (so I can eventually do one up and swap them also). Lots of general reading still really gets me to the same issue, parts. Once collected I am happy I can find people to get it sorted but I though hey its been a few years why not come back here and see if anyone has some ideas or parts or likes to talk modified KAT.

I have a long commute on my current Fireblade and while I love that bike to ride it just is not as much fun on doing it on a modernised Kat (even if it never gets close to the blade in performance as long as its a big improvement on stock handling and breaks I'd ride it 2+ hours a day and be happy to sell the Blade). Makes you wonder if the Blade could be changed to Kat styled... Like they do with the GSX1400's.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The dollar is good. Ebay will be your friend.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    The dollar is good. Ebay will be your friend.
    Yeah come to think of it others said much the same last time. I've just never done it and really need to fix that specific retardation in this case. So good reminder I will do exactly that. I've plenty of friends who do this after all. Tones of people have done up Kat's world wide so it is nothing new and if only parts are holding me back this is the clear solution.

Ebay here I come!

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    Sign up for Paypal mate,makes the process so simple,ive been buying bike stuff for years os and never had a problem.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    So I spoke to another bike builder group http://www.thepacificmotorcycleco.com and had a really great chat. Very good guy, good business (seemed to me) doing good work with a good waiting list. Very genuine advice (I have had before in part) being ideally collect parts and when ready off we go.

Anything can fit anything with $$. But looking about the parts list known to work with reasonable $$ is very hard to find (early GSXR). No luck at all on ebay. No ability to ballpark figures (which is I think perfectly reasonable). I feel sunk in this project and hopelessly out of my depth in terms of understanding what can be done reasonably or finding the parts effectively. Is this $10k, $20k, $50k? Does anyone actually have experience locally in this specific type of build who can source parts? Am I just dreaming here?

It seems to me the only actual way to know what the cost is, if the bike works and to actually own one is to try source one completed in the world (so many have been done) and just stump up and pay for it. with really no idea of a build cost (at all) and no one who can give it a number range at all (so it seems) and no real ability or time to learn the trade and do it personally is that my only (still far fetched) option?

On the bright side (I am disheartened and whining I know) I am not selling the old girl and can ride it with the wet noodle suspension it has on nice fine days for some years and just come back to it. Perhaps I'll get sorted to the point of an open cheque book build at some point.

First world problems!!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'd be looking for viable alternatives.

The hayabusa is a tall bike - have you measured up the front end length on one of these? I'd pose they may be a suitable length and if so I'd be scouting for a full front end including brakes. That would keep it in the family.

I've seen them on ebay in the past but also do some research into USA motorcycle wreckers (breakers) - start Googling to see if there are Suzuki specific ones. I've seen all but new bikes with sweet all damage (cosmetic) being broken into parts as they were new bike insurance write-offs.

Beyond that have you been you you local Suzuki dealer with a tape measure checking out the relative length of models front ends? If it is short a small amount a machined top clamp with suitable offset can take up the missing length. I've seen some radical ones on line. Like this type of thing

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/...le-clamp-lower

Klasmo will probably have a conversion kit. Nothing is cheap on there though. Purdy stuff .....

Bike
    motocompo
    Unless you you actually want to change the front end for styling purposes, then modifying what you already have is viable.
    I have a gsx1100 pre '82 race bike with original forks with some internal mods, It has a pair of Lockheed calipers on it with a bandit 1200 front wheel & discs assembly. It works great.
    Would be happy to send you some pics & measurements.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Bloody good point. a Bandit 1200 front is possibly a similar length and you can upgrade internals easily plus use the better stoppers. Or a GS1200ss front end - better stoppers.

And the bonus is it will still 'look' period correct, unless you are looking for the muscular USD front.

Bike
    I'd be looking for viable alternatives.

The hayabusa is a tall bike - have you measured up the front end length on one of these? I'd pose they may be a suitable length and if so I'd be scouting for a full front end including brakes. That would keep it in the family.

I've seen them on ebay in the past but also do some research into USA motorcycle wreckers (breakers) - start Googling to see if there are Suzuki specific ones. I've seen all but new bikes with sweet all damage (cosmetic) being broken into parts as they were new bike insurance write-offs.

Beyond that have you been you you local Suzuki dealer with a tape measure checking out the relative length of models front ends? If it is short a small amount a machined top clamp with suitable offset can take up the missing length. I've seen some radical ones on line. Like this type of thing

https://cognitomoto.com/collections/...le-clamp-lower

Klasmo will probably have a conversion kit. Nothing is cheap on there though. Purdy stuff .....
    Those look fantastic. My issue is really I just don't know enough about it. So I've tried to stick with what does seem to be known and cannot find the parts. I drowned in all the information and still have little to no idea outside a well detailed 'done it' discussion. No idea where to start measuring things just makes me thing doing that is going to see me buy things that are just a bad idea.

Realistically you need some idea I think to start and getting something like a well understood 1991-93 GSXR front end means they just bolt on whereas something else needs all kinds of converting making one option viable and the other seemingly needlessly expensive (someone else will do the fitting but again they want you to do the buying of parts). It just seems impossible right now (I don't have weeks to learn it all). I'm really getting over trying to find more details I've been at it for ages at different times over a few years now and I just keep coming back here http://www.suzuki-katana.com/katana_suspension.html and looking for those parts to no avail. As for going outside this that is a leap that really needs knowledge before you get the tap measure out. Most likely I will just find one of those front ends one day and that will start the process.

Appreciate the comments, hate to sound like the whinny little birch sapping I do in here. If I can source some known bits (and I will) find a builder with time (and I will) then it will get there in time.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Unless you you actually want to change the front end for styling purposes, then modifying what you already have is viable.
    I have a gsx1100 pre '82 race bike with original forks with some internal mods, It has a pair of Lockheed calipers on it with a bandit 1200 front wheel & discs assembly. It works great.
    Would be happy to send you some pics & measurements.

Totally reasonable point. It is a 750 frame with a 1100 motor so I really do want that modernised look without loosing the style. This is the one:
    http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-katana

That is totally what I want. Surprisingly they use a later front end
    * CBR954 Yokes (triple clamps)
    * TL1000 Clip ons
    * GSXR750 k4 forks and mudguard

Much easier to get hold of but implications on fitting costs / height for road use I just don't know. Really great offer for sure. I've had it in mind well before I brought the bike (some years back) and if it takes me 5 years to get real time, learn slowly or just stump up the funds to go silly open checkbook reputable builder then all good. Anything less and I'll being going, cool to ride but it doesn't have those sexy USD forks. This bike it going to get frequent commuting. It is not for show generally but still that is my ideal and I've not given up on it yet (that is finding the old school when known to work options that are not expensive to fit). Having said that I don't really understand the cost differences so i the scheme it might not be that much.

When I get it back (in shop for clutch) I will start to measure up what it has, that is a start.

Bike
    Bloody good point. a Bandit 1200 front is possibly a similar length and you can upgrade internals easily plus use the better stoppers. Or a GS1200ss front end - better stoppers.

And the bonus is it will still 'look' period correct, unless you are looking for the muscular USD front.
    Yeah it is USD or Die its just been dreamed of in that form for to long. They just look so much nicer with them, like my version of sex on wheels http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-katana. That bike makes me reach for the kleenex.

Bike
    This is sooo close and the person very nicely offered to let it be returned if it is does not go. It is just outside the listed years known to go well.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1139977419.htm

By the time I could understand if it would work (through a builder) it would be unreasonable to ask to return it. Still now with front wheel it would be a great deal (unless I guess it needs a complete rebuild but then at that age it should get one anyway and I don't actually know what that costs either).

If there was someone in the know I could pay for these answers I'd have no issue dropping reasonable coin just on that (the knowledge like a build project manager). I've no issue spending some coin in this way. Be happy to do it. A $1000 spent in this way for a good result would make itself back easy in terms of over all build expense.

Bike
    Katana 1135, RG500, GSXR1100, KX250
    Hi I have built a 750/1100 Kat. the best option for an engine is a 1135EFE, these are grunt motors and are still used for drag racing today.
    They are the last of the roller crank motors and the crank come welded from factory. You can take them out to 1400cc but the most popular is the 1230 kit.

The engine goes straight in, with new bottom engine mount which you can find drawings for on line.
    I went with the EFE CDI and changed the wiring to suit which was not hard, I most likely will have the drawing some where.

The bike is quite different now as this is an old photo. I have the standard swingarm running a 170 18in and 120 17in on the front. CBR 900 discs with Kawasaki twin pot calipers on the front.

I am also building a GSX1100E with GSXR11 USD forks, Honda triple clamps as the are raised to gain ground clearance, bandit swingarm and wheel. I have most parts and the build will start after some Kat work and my RG5 is finished. I purchased most of the fitting parts for the GSX11 of bandit man as the link earlier in this thread.

The 1135 engine is a beast... last of the air cooled. They come from 84-86 GSX bikes.

let me know if you have ant questions.
    cheers
    One for the road...
    Kat1230 (81), GSXR1100 (86), RG500 (86)
    The 80`s - Back in the days when men looked like women, women dressed like whores and the music F@#KING ROCKED!

Bike
    motocompo
    If you want all the benefits of an 1135 but prefer the older look engine, you can use the crank & rods, clutch, sleeves & Pistons & bigger inlet valves & cams in the earlier cases & head with virtually no fuss.
    Machining the head for the valves & boring the block for the bigger sleeves is the only machining cost.

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Yeah it is USD or Die its just been dreamed of in that form for to long. They just look so much nicer with them, like my version of sex on wheels http://www.bikeexif.com/suzuki-katana. That bike makes me reach for the kleenex.
    I've never understood why anyone would go for the empty space under the seat where the airbox and battery box would normally go.

It just looks wrong.

Thread Information