Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    For what it's worth, your thread kind of turned to shit in your absence when a couple of blokes had a bit of a disagreement. Fortunately a mod pulled out a few offensive posts, which were of absolutely no value whatsoever.
    Right that explains things. We should have a lock in at the YMCA for them and then someone with a great mullet could go "I mean common" and everyone would be sweet again. If you do not get this reference then don't worry one day you will be old enough to make references no one else gets also and trust me it will be personally funny if nothing else.

Mean time I've started down the long great road to learning more about a custom build. I've felt overwhelmed (good to get that out of the way) encouraged (so many great builds and good info) and have settled in to learn mode.

I feel it is time to inject some LOVE for the Suzuki Katana 1100sz back into this link (sorry Katman if it's not your type of Kat and all power to you my friend your dedication to the Kat is undeniable and totally respected).

I love this bike!!
    http://thebikeshed.cc/2015/02/16/ico...leaks-til-152/ I would personally it a reach around (dual internals even)
    or at least the girl in this (fantastic mix of new old school) video of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXNRZou7Ws (godz the love).

I would walk into the shop RIGHT NOW and trade my fireblade in on this
    https://www.bemoto.uk/blog/suzuki-katana-concept-2016 (even though it is not as nice as a good original with a modern rebuild, can shocks actually sit at that angle? I don't care I would buy it and ride it till my ass caved in, then I stand up and ride it some more).

About to read through this one and then go looking for more build threads. I will get the Kat built, then I think I'd probably want an unmolested original (even a 750 and maybe even the popup headlight jobbie though I would probably have to mod one of those).

I love the icon so much I have to list another link for it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcaRkPTxno

And remember angry posters of all shapes and sizes if you have something hateful to say consider creating your own website, hosting it on your own machine, and not connecting it to the internet and saying it there.

Bike
    Various things
    Pull the air box off a cv carb bike, fire it up & whack the throttle open & see if you can see any flutter. Fucked if I know, but what I'm doing works for me. The short of it is that I can make cv carbs work with pods or no filters whatsoever, because I understand how the carbs operate.
    This flutter thing is brand new to me & sounds like somebody's excuse for not knowing how things really work. Not yours nesacarily.
    I have. On a dyno that is able to place a load on the rear wheel, with a huge fan that replicates head wind. It's more of a prob when applying light throttle openings rather than when you wack it wide open. I fully dig that what you're doing works, and I like your work. But flutter is an issue.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Paso that's just wrong.... on so many levels
    If you had said F2 Ducati
    Attachment 323856
    Yup that is cool. I had a ductai which was to embarrassing to mention (so ugly) being my only personal experience. I rode fine (in my limited experience at the time). My conclusions was 1) never ever commute on a ducati for any serious distance 2) never buy an ugly bike with a great write up 3) never ever use Motormart Wellington for anything other than clothes and perhaps chain lube 4) sitting up straight might seem comfortable but you get use to being forward and it is just such a better riding position 5) no bike will ever look as good to me personally as a Suzuki Katana 1100 (or the same type 750 but that will be disappointing in terms of pull).

So I've nothing worth listening to, to say about Ducati (actually it is a long list but Ducati is on it towards the top).

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Yup that is cool. I had a ductai which was to embarrassing to mention (so ugly) being my only personal experience. I rode fine (in my limited experience at the time). My conclusions was 1) never ever commute on a ducati for any serious distance 2) never buy an ugly bike with a great write up 3) never ever use Motormart Wellington for anything other than clothes and perhaps chain lube 4) sitting up straight might seem comfortable but you get use to being forward and it is just such a better riding position 5) no bike will ever look as good to me personally as a Suzuki Katana 1100 (or the same type 750 but that will be disappointing in terms of pull).

So I've nothing worth listening to, to say about Ducati (actually it is a long list but Ducati is on it towards the top).
    If you want reliability and cheap to run, but looks like a Paso just buy an Honda Aero CBR400-1000 and paint it red.

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    If you want reliability and cheap to run, but looks like a Paso just buy an Honda Aero CBR400-1000 and paint it red.
    Godz they are close. Yeah the Paso still looks outrageous in an engaging way (to my eye). I think the honda looks better. Bet the Paso would be parked up inside a year having cost twice the price to maintain and the honda would just run on and on with no dramas.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I have. On a dyno that is able to place a load on the rear wheel, with a huge fan that replicates head wind. It's more of a prob when applying light throttle openings rather than when you wack it wide open. I fully dig that what you're doing works, and I like your work. But flutter is an issue.
    I've been pondering the flutter thing, & I'm picking it's caused by intake pulses as each cylinder is on the intake stroke, or probably more accurately, the slide dropping during the period of still air in the port on everything except the intake stroke.
    The slide is the Venturi effectively, so the smaller the Venturi, the higher the airspeed over the jet tube, so, technically, what I'm probably achieving, is higher airspeed across the jet, rather than greater suction. Or possibly both.
    It has never occurred to me to drill the holes out in the bottom of the slides, as all they are is signal ports to the top of the diaphragm, it's not like they have a constant flow of air passing through them, just the displacement of the air moved above the diaphragm. Drilling them out would only have the effect of changing their orientation a bit, although I'm sure dynojet do it for a reason.
    I also ponder how adding weight to the slide would work. It would be a constant & have the same effect theoretically. Must try it next time.

Bike
    The C**t.
    I would walk into the shop RIGHT NOW and trade my fireblade in on this
    https://www.bemoto.uk/blog/suzuki-katana-concept-2016
    Mother of god....

Screw it i'm going to build it.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Pretty much the same reason why people throw away the excellent Rochester Quadrajet & put cheap nasty Holley carbs on V8's
    Don't remind me, I had a very nice setup on a 308 that I ruined by putting a Holley carb and mild-rise manifold on. Before I realised the error of my ways I had sold the std manifold and Rochester. Never got it performing as well as it did with the std setup...

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've been pondering the flutter thing, & I'm picking it's caused by intake pulses as each cylinder is on the intake stroke, or probably more accurately, the slide dropping during the period of still air in the port on everything except the intake stroke.
    The slide is the Venturi effectively, so the smaller the Venturi, the higher the airspeed over the jet tube, so, technically, what I'm probably achieving, is higher airspeed across the jet, rather than greater suction. Or possibly both.
    It has never occurred to me to drill the holes out in the bottom of the slides, as all they are is signal ports to the top of the diaphragm, it's not like they have a constant flow of air passing through them, just the displacement of the air moved above the diaphragm. Drilling them out would only have the effect of changing their orientation a bit, although I'm sure dynojet do it for a reason.
    I also ponder how adding weight to the slide would work. It would be a constant & have the same effect theoretically. Must try it next time.
    Do any of the CV carbs used on bikes have an oil damper such as SU's and Strombergs have? Would it help in this case?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    mutton dressed up as lamb and a 73 XL250
    I just looked up the bimota SB3 what an absolutely cool looking machine. Pretty decent stats for the day (bit lighter than the Kat somewhat less pony but all the style you could hope for). Good example of a bike you could not mess with the look of in any good way. Give me the same great feeling looking at a ducati paso does (no idea what they ride like but just love looking at them).

Coolies.
    you dont want a Paso mate I had an 89 750 Sport which was slightly better but still...no.
    Be the person your dog thinks you are...

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    you dont want a Paso mate I had an 89 750 Sport which was slightly better but still...no.
    907IE was apparently much better
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    907IE was apparently much better
    Fuck yeah. Still fucking ugly though.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Do any of the CV carbs used on bikes have an oil damper such as SU's and Strombergs have? Would it help in this case?
    No they don't, & yes it would help, think of the damper as the accelerator pump, once they run out of oil, cars with SU's would flat spot on acceleration.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by 98tls View Post
    Actually I don't really want any Ducati the last one was just one long pain in the butt and I'd sooner not ride than have the deal with Motormart again. Which in my experience was often the same thing.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    No they don't, & yes it would help, think of the damper as the accelerator pump, once they run out of oil, cars with SU's would flat spot on acceleration.
    I was aware that they function as an accelerator "pump" (slowing the slide lift so vacuum would raw more fuel up the jet) but wondering if it would dampen small slide movements.
    (Envisioning quad 1.5" Stromberg CDs on the Kat? Nasty, god knows the single one on Hillman Hunters and Avengers was hard enough to get tuned (the later ones without the adjustable jet underneath)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information