Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki Katana 1100sz

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by IronPawz View Post
    Thanks is that an XX Blackbird in your tag? Always wanted to try one out. Read some great reviews and they look fantastic. There was one regularly in Welly I use to go out of my way to walk past.
    It was my Hayabusa. I wouldn't mind a Blackbird but if I could have another hypertourer, easily a top 5, my first choice would be another Hayabusa.

To be fair, before I chose I'd have to test ride a blackbird, zx14, zx14 concourse, FJR1300 and a st1300.
    Trouble is I'd end up owning more than one or yearning for whatever in didn't buy.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2015/18 Blade, 81 Katana, KR150R
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    It was my Hayabusa. I wouldn't mind a Blackbird but if I could have another hypertourer, easily a top 5, my first choice would be another Hayabusa.

To be fair, before I chose I'd have to test ride a blackbird, zx14, zx14 concourse, FJR1300 and a st1300.
    Trouble is I'd end up owning more than one or yearning for whatever in didn't buy.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Ahh the mighty busa truly one of the greats. I've never ridden one but I'd love to. I've followed a few into Wellington and been impressed with how nimble they look on the move. There is a purple one I've seen a few times just carving it up (I was pushing hard on the blade to stay with him, good times). There is also a black one I see at times before I generally just let it go (mad man rolling in style I only filter so hard).

Those are all big powerful machines (nice in all cases). Especially the zx14 those look so insane. Still I just never got over the Kat loving and am yet to see if I can really live with one 2 hours a day (which I am sure I can). The new one seems more polite in position than the original (but I will be able to compare them tomorrow).

There is a blackbird at TSS Red Barron Wellington which I might well ride (and report on) because I just so love the look of it! I've never really done the big size crazy power bike so might be something that suites me and I don't even know it..

Bike
    CB1300
    Lol. My fighting weight would be 120kgs. 150 is more likely.
    Big functional bikes come before petite form based bikes any day.
    Nimble is cool but comfort is king.
    The one draw back of the Hayabusa is that there are a few corners where you will find you have the back wheel on or near the outside fog line while your front is on or over the apex.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    CB1300
    Half the fun of these bikes is developing the skills to be graceful on a hammer.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Half the fun of these bikes is developing the skills to be graceful on a hammer.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Yeah that resonates. A good man I know heading away from IT to work full time training people to ride has a sizable beast and while I never asked him directly I got the distinct impression there is a category of bike lovers who find the mastery of the heavy, comfort based but still powerful machines their main joy on two wheels. Done well it really does look artful. I just love the Kat's for being such a great looking original super sport but at my level of commute I want it to handle more and break better. Part of what I get kicks from is bending my being around a bike not suited to commuting. I don't come from a place of great experience in a variety of bikes so there are things to explore. I've developed a love of pure sports bikes and the body has just had to get use to it. I do still really like my time on the F650 BMW mind that was a really bloody great bike (in my estimation). Keen to try an XX and a busa just to experiance that big awesome and see if I can handle it.

Bike

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

I should really add that that done up Kat has a much more polite (so it seems yet to fully test) seating position than my Blade or original Kat and that doesn't upset me AT ALL. I'm not getting younger and some comfort is making more sense as I continue to not do so.

Bike
    suzuki
    Yeah that resonates. A good man I know heading away from IT to work full time training people to ride has a sizable beast and while I never asked him directly I got the distinct impression there is a category of bike lovers who find the mastery of the heavy, comfort based but still powerful machines their main joy on two wheels. Done well it really does look artful. I just love the Kat's for being such a great looking original super sport but at my level of commute I want it to handle more and break better. Part of what I get kicks from is bending my being around a bike not suited to commuting. I don't come from a place of great experience in a variety of bikes so there are things to explore. I've developed a love of pure sports bikes and the body has just had to get use to it. I do still really like my time on the F650 BMW mind that was a really bloody great bike (in my estimation). Keen to try an XX and a busa just to experiance that big awesome and see if I can handle it.
    lots of words, would be hard to beat you in scrabble....

Bike

Kat is road legal at last

For the first time since 1986 the bike is fully certified and all legal. Lots of thanks to Bruce Lewis and Wellington Motor Cycle Inspection Services. Good team in that ever more popular business.

I've given it a few hundred KM's and it is good. No problems in the commute. Needs some softening up as the suspension is still in race setting makes it unsettled over bumps and a bit harsh in areas.

Seating position is pretty good but it needs resets to allow experimenting with foot peg location. Seating is more comfortable than standard.

Tank is in primer black. So the bike is mostly black with orange wheels. Getting Battalax T21's to replace the old (been on bike probably 10 years) and worn tires.

Compared to the Fireblade I ride it is still surprisingly good. Power in low gears is similar but the rev range is shorter on the GSX1135. I need new tires and softer suspension to test it more (next week). It is a bit like riding an overly lowered car, great on track but not on uneven roads.

I'm just totally into now and keen to get on refining, improving and riding. Keen to get it to a MotoTT or similar track day for a run.

Bike
    Various things
    Lots of thanks to Bruce Lewis at Motor Cycle Inspection Services. .
    He's a good chap. I sent him pics of my GSXR1100 shock setup for your job. Glad to hear you've got it sorted at last.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    He's a good chap. I sent him pics of my GSXR1100 shock setup for your job. Glad to hear you've got it sorted at last.
    Yup I enjoy working with Bruce and his team. Every time I go there, more bikes. There was a nice track bike in there recently.

Nice to see the Frankenzuki getting some specs from your GSXR. Quite enjoy the history of the bike.

Bike

Getting to know the Kat

Frame : 1983 Katana GSX1100SZ
    Front end : 1992 GSXR1100
    Swing Arm : 2000? After market AJS Internal suspension
    Rear shock : 2000? AJS Kit (I am not sure but I am sure I'd like to improve on it)
    Breaks front : 1992 GSXR1100 3 pot on slotted but undrilled disks
    Breaks rear : 1992 GSXR1100 single
    Engine : 1984 GSX1100EFE also known as a GSX1135
    Exhaust : 4 into one with cut down noisy short muffler
    Wheels : 1992? GSXR1100

Things I'd like to do short term

Convert chain to lighter narrower 520
    Change exhaust to something quieter
    Get new tires (in shop for these a the moment)
    Setup suspension with road settings and track settings
    Work out best tire pressures

Medium term (by summer)

Paint it. Still not sure on colours still, maybe traditional, maybe gun metal, maybe black, maybe combination. I prefer anonymous given all the commuting. Not bright showroom combinations.

Start some lightening. Exhaust and chain are good starting points. Battery is good for a few KG. Wheels maybe.

Rear sets so I can move the footing about and see what suites best.

Breaks. At least better disks and pads (likely medium term solution). Cylinder upgrade? Ideally I'd look for lighter and better options.

Bling. Stickers, look at leavers, grips etc.

Long Term

All sorts of things, never ending.

Bike
    Various things
    Yup I enjoy working with Bruce and his team. Every time I go there, more bikes. There was a nice track bike in there recently.

Nice to see the Frankenzuki getting some specs from your GSXR. Quite enjoy the history of the bike.
    I worked with him at WMCC for twenty years. He knows his stuff. Was happy to help out, as I have a Katana as well. Saw yours in his shop.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    I worked with him at WMCC for twenty years. He knows his stuff. Was happy to help out, as I have a Katana as well. Saw yours in his shop.
    Right I've talked to you in WMC and had my 'standard' 7/11 Katana in WMC plenty of times back then. Unless someone else there also had a few Kat's in the shed.

I like that Bruce will have these massive chopper projects next to outright sports bikes. Be good when he gets low volume certification.

Now I have a 1981 GSX750SZ fitted with a GSX1100E engine (jets changed to Katana spec) 520 chain conversion, new clutch that has to go. Also a 1992 GSXR750 (no headlight or indicators) which goes OK and was going to be a track bike and/or front end donor to the 7/11 that has to go. So expect them on trade me at some point.

Bike
    Various things
    Right I've talked to you in WMC and had my 'standard' 7/11 Katana in WMC plenty of times back then. Unless someone else there also had a few Kat's in the shed.

Nah. That'll be Mike Strand. He has many Pop Up Headlight Kats. Mike was in spares, I was in sales. Office on the cnr by the counter. I only brought my Katana after I'd left there.

Bike

Colours I like so far

Hope the images show up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KatBlack and Grey.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	330447   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black shiney.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	330448  

Thread Information