Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Squared-off tires, or is it tyres?

Bike
    2008 R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Recommended by who and where?
    In all fairness when I was going through my bike's shop manual (I don't have the owner's manual) it did recommend 36psi front and 42 rear..... and it went on to say not to exceed the recommended pressure.

Having said that. My take.... I rarely ride with a pillion and I'm not all that heavy. If I put the rear at 42 and it is cool out...... what happens when it gets got and the tire warms up even more with use? I put these tires at 34 front/38 rear.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    The bike I bought this week (bike weight 230 kgs) it had 36 rear and 29 front, and they rode prominently two up. I increased the psi to 42 rear and 32 front because that is what I like my tyre pressure to be. Tyre pressure basically comes down manufactures guidelines V personal choice.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Why would he set the pressure so low? I have seen in the US forums they set their pressures super low like 30-35 in the rear which is stupid when manufacturer recommended is 42.
    I run 34 in the rear most of the time. I'd call it a normal pressure for a sports bike, if not slightly high.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    To the OP - agree. I test rode a SV1000 some years back - I did not get far, took it back to the dealer and told him I'm not interested in any of their bikes if they let them out the shop with a rear tyre like that one had - about as square as my car tyres! You had to heave it over to corner. His response was something like 'buy the bike and I'll do a deal on a tyre..' He missed my point.

Tyre pressures - manufactures recommend varying pressures depending on bikes etc. I see way to many internet posts talking of high pressures that have been read off the tyres sidewall maximum..... NO.

Altering them to suit yourself and tyre is fine. My Hornet factory rear pressure was 42 - I'm a relative lightweight and that was way to harsh - 38 was much better. You change brand of tyres and you may find a couple psi either way performs better than the previous rubber.

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post

Tyre pressures - manufactures recommend varying pressures depending on bikes etc. I see way to many internet posts talking of high pressures that have been read off the tyres sidewall maximum..... NO.

Altering them to suit yourself and tyre is fine. My Hornet factory rear pressure was 42 - I'm a relative lightweight and that was way to harsh - 38 was much better. You change brand of tyres and you may find a couple psi either way performs better than the previous rubber.
    I respectfully disagree that advising people to adjust tire pressure to suit themselves is "fine" (especially if they don't check tire pressure often). There are very good safety reasons why you should have the correct tire pressure and low pressure reduces fuel economy and tire life.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by WristTwister View Post
    I respectfully disagree that altering tire pressure to suit yourself is "fine". There are very good safety reasons why you should have the correct tire pressure and it reduces fuel economy and tire life.
    One pressure doesn't fit all, there's nothing wrong with changing them to suit yourself
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    A streetbike named Desire
    Blog Entries
    One pressure doesn't fit all, there's nothing wrong with changing them to suit yourself
    Suit yourself. Running lower tire pressure will reduce fuel economy and tire life (as I said before) and you're compromising on braking, cornering and stability. But whatever you know best.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I found it important to keep an eye on tyre pressure and condition. A few psi either side of a sweet spot for tyre/bike combo really makes a difference for me.
    its good to remember tyre condition changes with use, I learnt to check my tyres regularily, which is important for newbies to learn to do.
    As is noticing squaring off of tyres and slow leaks when a tube starts to fail. All things a beginner needs to learn to keep an eye out for, so often forgotten by more experienced riders.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    BSA A10
    Suit yourself. Running lower tire pressure will reduce fuel economy and tire life (as I said before) and you're compromising on braking, cornering and stability. But whatever you know best.
    So the same tyre pressure regardless of whether you're two up, carting gear, weigh 140kg or 80kg?

There's too many variables to have one pressure and say "this is it" and if reducing or increasing the pressure makes the bike feel better for the rider then it is making it safer
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    A rule of thumb I had mentioned to me re pressures makes sense. Check your pressure cold, go for a typical ride and check pressure again. If it is 2-3 psi higher your in the ball park. A bigger rise implies it's to soft, no rise, to hard.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    MT-10
    So the same tyre pressure regardless of whether you're two up, carting gear, weigh 140kg or 80kg?

There's too many variables to have one pressure and say "this is it" and if reducing or increasing the pressure makes the bike feel better for the rider then it is making it safer
    You can adjust it to suit but the starting point should be manufacturers recommended setting. I played around with pressures and found 40-42 is best in the rear. I tried mid 30s and found handling, fuel economy and feel was worse. The "feel" is subjective some may prefer the soft squishy feeling i personally didnt. To top it off my rear was squared off as well but that was because my tire was almost gone and i lowered the pressure to warm quicker and grip a bit better for the last 1000kms i was able to squeeze out of them.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I respectfully disagree that advising people to adjust tire pressure to suit themselves is "fine" (especially if they don't check tire pressure often). There are very good safety reasons why you should have the correct tire pressure and low pressure reduces fuel economy and tire life.
    One size does not fit all.

Read my post again - factory 42 rear was shit for my body weight, harsh ride, and a rear that was not filling me with confidence. A drop to 38 cured it and the tyres stuck like glue and wore very well thanks. Someone with another 15-20kg of body weight may have preferred the extra psi.

A different tyre will have different characteristics too - some brands have softer sidewalls than others - playing with a couple of psi can make a huge difference in the bikes and tyres performance.

The manufacture offer a recommended starting point. If it works for you, excellent, if not experiment in small increments. A couple psi can make a difference.

Me - I check my tyre pressures at least every second week.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Here is one I've been thinking of for a while and experimented with recently. Seasonal pressure.

Say you run 36/36 all summer long and are happy with it. Riding temperatures in the low to high 20's and warm roads.

Do you adjust pressures in winter when you may be riding on cold roads with air temps struggling to hit a double digit?

I remember a new Aprilia being binned a few years back by a KB rider (was not his bike either!) he commented on the tyre pressure being 'high' for the cold conditions.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Here is one I've been thinking of for a while and experimented with recently. Seasonal pressure.

Say you run 36/36 all summer long and are happy with it. Riding temperatures in the low to high 20's and warm roads.

Do you adjust pressures in winter when you may be riding on cold roads with air temps struggling to hit a double digit?

I remember a new Aprilia being binned a few years back by a KB rider (was not his bike either!) he commented on the tyre pressure being 'high' for the cold conditions.

It's not the race track, shouldn't make fuck all difference on the road.

Sounds to me like the guy was a fucken squid making excuses for fucking it up.

By all means, play with tyre pressures. But not till you know what it is you hope to achieve, and the effects of the changes other than the desired one. Don't do it just for wank value of telling people "I set my bike up like this for maximum grip at 60° lean".

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    It's not the race track, shouldn't make fuck all difference on the road.

Sounds to me like the guy was a fucken squid making excuses for fucking it up.

By all means, play with tyre pressures. But not till you know what it is you hope to achieve, and the effects of the changes other than the desired one. Don't do it just for wank value of telling people "I set my bike up like this for maximum grip at 60° lean".

Hahahah there were lots of excuses for sure! One of those offs with a 'WTF' why did that happen situation.

Now - look you'll have everyone wanting advice on tyre pressures to hit that 60 degree lean now .......... is that how you get rid of the chicken strip - it's all about the tyre pressure.

Thread Information