Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Squared-off tires, or is it tyres?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    The issue is that as tyres wear we as riders simply adapt to them over the life of the tyre. When we get new tyres the difference is normally stark.

I'm always reluctant to get rid of a set of tyres until the last of the life is out of them. It's a money thing.

This morning I'll be scrubbing in my Metzler Z8s. When I rode the bike home from the shop the tip in had me grinning from ear to ear.

The bike is a R1200RT. It's 300 kg ish. I run 36 front and 42 rear. It's the manufacturers recommendation. I don't know better than him, so I'm okay with that.

Tyre pressures always make for good debate. Track experiences cause people to raise or lower their road tyres for normal use. Despite the fact that on the road tyres are expected to be a jack of all trades, dealing with lots of different surfaces and conditions.

I look forward to new tyres when the time comes.
    Normally that would be the 2 up setting. But for 300kg's you might be better off with 50 psi.

I tear the sides off the fronts before anything else. 6000ks on my PR3s and the fronts starting to get average.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Normally that would be the 2 up setting. But for 300kg's you might be better off with 50 psi.

I tear the sides off the fronts before anything else. 6000ks on my PR3s and the fronts starting to get average.
    cbr600 and zx9r I had tore the sides out of front tyres at 6ks as you mentioned, cbr1000rr wears them well rounded with twice the k's, original s20 front did 11ks, replaced with pp3 , bike at 24ks now and at least another 4ks left.Running 36psi in front, run 40 42psi in the rear to decrease sidewall flex for max milage. I put front tyre wear pattern down to the specific bikes handling.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Most people don't notice the extent that squared tyres hinder performance, because it's a gradual transition as they stack up k's. When they replace tyres they all make the same revelation you just have.
    Finally swapping out the crumbly center worn pile of crud thats on front of mine tomorrow

MMMmmmm super corsa.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    cbr600 and zx9r I had tore the sides out of front tyres at 6ks as you mentioned, cbr1000rr wears them well rounded with twice the k's, original s20 front did 11ks, replaced with pp3 , bike at 24ks now and at least another 4ks left.Running 36psi in front, run 40 42psi in the rear to decrease sidewall flex for max milage. I put front tyre wear pattern down to the specific bikes handling.
    Agreed. All my Bandits have gone through fronts.

Bike
    The C**t.
    36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear for max mileage you lot got a death wish or something?

come down at least 4psi on both if you want to actually stay on the road.... tyres are cheaper than mirrors bars fairings exhausts etc.

Why run high pressure for mileage, i mean really its chicken shit to spend for the benefits of safety/ the risk isn't worth the money saved.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear for max mileage you lot got a death wish or something?

come down at least 4psi on both if you want to actually stay on the road.... tyres are cheaper than mirrors bars fairings exhausts etc.

Why run high pressure for mileage, i mean really its chicken shit to spend for the benefits of safety/ the risk isn't worth the money saved.
    Oh dear.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Oh dear.
    Great response there with a detailed opinion back.

Bike
    The C**t.
    https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...chnical-advice

You see anything remotely near a 36/40 pressure.

Yes various tyres are different but not by that much...

No wonder you guys are constantly sliding down the road on your arses. you're riding on a bloodey basketball.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-ww/...chnical-advice

You see anything remotely near a 36/40 pressure.

Yes various tyres are different but not by that much...

No wonder you guys are constantly sliding down the road on your arses. you're riding on a bloodey basketball.
    I will remember to chuck my warmers on before I go to work on Monday. Then again I dont ride on track tyres.

Slow down Rossi.

Bike
    The C**t.
    I will remember to chuck my warmers on before I go to work on Monday. Then again I dont ride on track tyres.

Slow down Rossi.
    Doesnt matter if you're going like rossi or not... even cumuting there are tight corners and a need for heavy braking due to idiots etc. never skimp on pads or tyres.... friction is your friend.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Doesnt matter if you're going like rossi or not... even cumuting there are tight corners and a need for heavy braking due to idiots etc. never skimp on pads or tyres.... friction is your friend.
    Commuting.

I do it a bit. I dont seem to hit things. Maybe Im doing it ok.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Commuting.

I do it a bit. I dont seem to hit things. Maybe Im doing it ok.
    Yes commuting well done.

Sorry was in full riding gear walking out door because i actually ride my bike not just sit on the internet.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Any yet you wonder why Mark?

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Any yet you wonder why Mark?
    haha

wonder why everybody dislikes me.

i sit here wondering why anybody thinks i could give one single fuck what anybody thinks of me, my opinion is my opinion take it as you wish.

Bike
    TF125
    my opinion is my opinion take it as you wish.
    Maybe just try keeping it to yourself a little more often?

Thread Information