Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Squared-off tires, or is it tyres?

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Yes commuting well done.

Sorry was in full riding gear walking out door because i actually ride my bike not just sit on the internet.
    What a hero guy.

Ever thought others may know a bit as well?

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Others may know a bit as well?
    I am blissfully ignorant of everything.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Mine
    36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear for max mileage you lot got a death wish or something?
    Sometimes. But that's another story and nothing to do with riding.

Ever since I've been using PR4s I run 36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear. I commute 600km a week, rural and motorway, and haven't even come close to losing grip. Even on tar bleed in torrential rain.

Oh, and these are the first tyres that I've ever run right to the edge.

FYI: The PR4s last about 29k front and 16k rear.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Sometimes. But that's another story and nothing to do with riding.

Ever since I've been using PR4s I run 36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear. I commute 600km a week, rural and motorway, and haven't even come close to losing grip. Even on tar bleed in torrential rain.

Oh, and these are the first tyres that I've ever run right to the edge.

FYI: The PR4s last about 29k front and 16k rear.
    16,000km out of a rear tyre...

i get 1/4 of that.

Puttering around commuting i'm not really suprised you get those k's out of them with them pumped up that hard.

If i rode how i do on the twisties with that kind of pressure pushing down the power i'd be off the road doing cartwheels within minutes.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    my little pony
    36 pound in the front and 40 in the rear for max mileage you lot got a death wish or something?

come down at least 4psi on both if you want to actually stay on the road.... tyres are cheaper than mirrors bars fairings exhausts etc.

Why run high pressure for mileage, i mean really its chicken shit to spend for the benefits of safety/ the risk isn't worth the money saved.
    you are full of shit so your unintelligence doesn't matter. I have been riding bikes 10 years before you shit your first SKIDMARKS in set of nappies and I'm still alive. How come it has taken so long to get that front tyre fitted, should take 15 mins tops in your mummies garage, don't forget to use rim savers, although with your age of bike I wouldn't waste $15 on them unless you had some loose change left.

Ps, is your condom over filled in your own front tyre thread?

Bike
    Mine
    16,000km out of a rear tyre...

i get 1/4 of that.
    What tyre? I get half again what I used to out of any other tyre I've used.

Puttering around commuting
    Mate, you need to see me in traffic. No puttering involved. My commute also involves some rural roads.

i'm not really suprised you get those k's out of them with them pumped up that hard.
    When I last got hte front changed at Cycletreads they didn't bat an eyelid at those pressures. It was them that recommended 36 front.

If i rode how i do on the twisties with that kind of pressure pushing down the power i'd be off the road doing cartwheels within minutes.
    You really need to stop thinking you know everything. Anything less than 38 rear and the tyre feels spongy. For me, my bike and these tyres these pressures work.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    Exxon Valdez

come down at least 4psi on both if you want to actually stay on the road.... tyres are cheaper than mirrors bars fairings exhausts etc.

Why run high pressure for mileage, i mean really its chicken shit to spend for the benefits of safety/ the risk isn't worth the money saved.
    That's just not how it works with road tyres. They have a soft carcass and harder rubber. S20s on the RF, 36 up front and 34 at the rear. Trust me, I messed around with it quite a bit for the purposes of testing them when they were released.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I haven't even come close to losing grip. Even on tar bleed in torrential rain.
    Genuine question - how do you tell?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    When I started racing it was on an old VFR400 I didn't replace the tyres for the first few rounds.
    Thing was fucking horrible it wouldn't turn and then suddenly drop off a cliff, Hairpins were the worst.
    I replaced the tyres with the same type (sport demons) and took a photo of the two tyres side by side (I will look for it tonight and post it for a laugh). The difference in profile was immense, the previous rider would have to had run the tyres at low pressure and nanna'd it around most corners to get it to wear like that.

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass View Post
    Genuine question - how do you tell?
    Admittedly it's a bit subjective but:
    1. I know when a tyre lets go. Even a little.
    2. I know what other tyres have done to me in similar conditions.
    3. I can feel when a tyre is about to slide. I've had to ease off with other tyres to stop it happening. Not with the PR4s.

Some Rossi wannabe will probably find the limit of the PR4s. I don't see me ever pushing them that far.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Tyre pressure should always be subjective to variables of rider weight and load. A magic number may not work for everyone.
    Also a lot of NZ recommneded pressures via internet 'experts'are prob from their mate that arces or does track days. And what works for a stripped lighter bike for a five to ten lap session on billard smooth race track might not work in real world.
    One of the biggest things for tyre life is to not brake through corners and not always accelerating with maximum power.
    Then theres suspension settings and actually having suspension serviced......
    And if you've been to a track day and cooked the tyre few times with high speed runs....

On a side note most trucks run about 90psi on average. Over in Uk was surprised to see most gear running 125 psi but with high axle loadings allowed. Tarmac generally higher quality so ahrd to evaluate grip difference but horses for courses and all.

An old pitlane myth/truth i hard was that pressure should only vary by about 2 psi cold to hot if you have setup right?????
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    The C**t.
    I love how as per usual somebody sits their with their opposing opinion to mine...

"you dont know everything! heres why you are wrong and i am right"

So are you not acting in the EXACT same manner as i am with my opinion, but because you disagree with me, i think i know everything and the sun shines out my arse?

I'm not a moron i understand different tyres take different pressures, different bike weights, different rider weights, different manufacturer recommendations...

However 38 pound in any rear tyre i've encountered is absurd. thats my opinion, hell i might be wrong i'm not saying because its my opinion its the be all end all answer i'm right and you are wrong...

Apparently i have to sugar coat it and be all nice about it? i cant call people morons without being basically called the young fella who knows nothing and i don't know everything? Never claimed to, never have never will.

What i do know is if you sugar coat an opinion and make it all nice and fluffy people don't listen to you, ever.

It seems when you use words like idiotic, dangerous, moronic... it generally makes them go hey maybe i should look into this...

Ahhh well, thats how i see the world thats how i am, if ya don't like it i don't give a fuck its your life.

FYI my pirelli supercorsa is lovely in the pissing rain and it isnt even properly scrubbed in yet. I do love me some decent rubber
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Mine
    I love how as per usual somebody sits their with their opposing opinion to mine...

You have a lot to learn about human nature.

You don't have to sugar coat the message. Just don't belittle people in the process.

You've found one thing, others have found something different. That's all well and good but if you start calling people idiotic, moronic etc then you're definitely giving the impression that you think you know better and no discussion will be entered into.

I do love me some decent rubber
    Definitely with you on this.

Bike
    my little pony
    If I wanted to be reminded of tyres that let go I can take my trusty c1 zx9r for a blast to the past, it has single compound pilot roads like the old macadam tread. If i ran 34 psi in my pr3 on the blade it would barely get me to the burt. My cbr600 my first road bike mid 90s I had bt56ss tyres and a brass monkey return cleaned them out. When much of my riding is on the super coarse chipped roads of the West coast of the South Island the tyres chop out real fast and there is nowhere to buy them, and my tyres are always warm and sticky, plus maximum milage for soft tyres means I'm doing it right. A dude I know on a 97 blade runs pr3s and I get more k's than he does.

Bike
    my little pony
    I'm hearing the s21s are lasting no longer than the s20evo or s20, so Mr Bridgestone I'll never be a customer of yours again.

Thread Information