Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Squared-off tires, or is it tyres?

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    16,000km out of a rear tyre...

i get 1/4 of that.

Puttering around commuting i'm not really suprised you get those k's out of them with them pumped up that hard.

If i rode how i do on the twisties with that kind of pressure pushing down the power i'd be off the road doing cartwheels within minutes.
    that speaks volumes about you. The sticker on the swing arm of my loose change habit recommends s20 OE tyres at 250kpa front and 290kpa rear, guess what, that is 36 42psi, and Asians average IQ is higher than us whiteys and they design and manufacture the machines and quite a few tyres so where does that leave you?

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    that speaks volumes about you. The sticker on the swing arm of my loose change habit recommends s20 OE tyres at 250kpa front and 290kpa rear, guess what, that is 36 42psi, and Asians average IQ is higher than us whiteys and they design and manufacture the machines and quite a few tyres so where does that leave you?
    Bridgestone Battlax S20 Tire Pressures
    Racetrack
    Front (cold): 32 psi
    Front (hot—off the track): 34 psi
    Rear (cold): 30 psi
    Rear (hot—off the track): 34 psi
    Street
    Front (OEM recommendations)
    Rear (OEM recommendations)

^^^yes i'm not blind i do see the review says oem pressures for the street.... it's called idiot proofing and liability of the manufacturer.

Yes the track and street are different... the track is alot stickier in surface and the pressure change of the tyre will be alot more than you'll get on the street and to keep them from overheating you need a lower pressure....

Even then the front and rear hot on the track is at 34 psi front and rear and thats a fully hot temperature.

You are going above that cold on the street with a rougher surface and of course pushing the tyre nowhere remotely near as hard as the track.

even cold you are another 2psi in the front and another 8 psi in the rear above the hot track temps and you expect decent grip out of it?

The other point to note here is the higher the pressure the longer you have to warm up the tyres, it becomes a struggle to get any heat into them and they cool quickly.

For a commuter/ sunny sunday rider this will do the job sure.

That isn't how i ride a motorcycle hence my opinion differs.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    that speaks volumes about you.
    Yeah it says i know how to ride a motorcycle hard enough on your incorrect tyre pressures i'd slide off the road.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    MT-10
    Curious how fast you are riding on the street and taking corners.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    You don't need to ask, fast enough that for the sake of a few psi different in tyre pressures he'd be doing cartwheels through the bush. Now damn that's fast...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Business-Hero.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	325379  

Bike
    Kawasaki
    It looks like someone's ego is over-inflated by a few psi

Bike
    Yours eh, ka pai.

Try taking the bus..

Well, to be fair - he is doing it on a giant porker with brutal warp-factor power.. not a pissy wizzer 600/4..

Bike
    MT-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemi Makutu View Post
    Well, to be fair - he is doing it on a giant porker with brutal warp-factor power.. not a pissy wizzer 600/4..
    Well a lower tyre pressure is for corner grip. If someone is running 30psi for straightline sprints and pampering it around corners thats just fucking retarded and grinds my gears when those cunts say 42psi blahblahblah.

I can get my mates busa around corners at double speed quite comfortably eg 45 at 90 or 100 and he keeps tyres at manufacturer recommended of 42. No grip issues on his battleaxes. Im running pirellis but 42 was a bit high and was slipping a bit mid corner if i gassed it so keep it at 40 which is perfect. For the street of course.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Tyre pressures are an individual thing. The bike makers have no control on what brand or type of tyres we put on our bikes, how we ride or our weight. Pillions?, loaded packracks?, sunday hero?, winterless North or cool South? All factors. Dave Moss suggests inflating your new tyres to the makers highest recommended levels, having a run over a repeatable route, then decreasing by 2psi and repeating, until you are comfortable with what you feel.
    I am starting that journey with my Busa. Suzuki says 42/42. Does not compute in my brain, but felt good two up with a pillion. However I cant get my head around a 42 front so am slowly decreasing this.Suprising the diference a psi or 2 makes to the feel. Currently at 38f/ 40r. My DRZ400sm-not a light bike- is 25f/29r and my GSXR 600 is currently 34f/36r, depending on the temps of the day and intended use. So many factors it is worth experimenting.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    Currently at 38f/ 40r.
    That's where I set my ZX12R running Metzeler Z8's. I drop 2psi out of each if going for a fang in the wet on a cold day and maybe add 1psi if touring on highly patrolled highways

Bike
    Sold
    Tyre pressures are an individual thing. The bike makers have no control on what brand or type of tyres we put on our bikes, how we ride or our weight. Pillions?, loaded packracks?, sunday hero?, winterless North or cool South?
    Spot on

Your recommended 'busa pressures are the same as my old Blackbird. Because of the forward weight bias on the 'bird, coupled with conservative steering geometry, it started to feel wooden and vague if I dropped the front pressure below 42 psi. However, on both my Street Triple and GSX-S 1000, I have run lower pressures than in the manual and they both feel much better for it.

Just out of interest, I did a trackday on the GSX-S at Hampton Downs on a warm day last summer with PR4 sport touring tyres. The instructor recommended that I dropped my cold pressures to 30 psi front and rear. When I came in from one of the sessions, I checked the rear tyre pressure out of curiosity 2 or 3 minutes after stopping and it was 40psi. It would have been a fair bit higher immediately after coming in.

Bike
    MT-10
    Tyre pressures are an individual thing. The bike makers have no control on what brand or type of tyres we put on our bikes, how we ride or our weight. Pillions?, loaded packracks?, sunday hero?, winterless North or cool South? All factors. Dave Moss suggests inflating your new tyres to the makers highest recommended levels, having a run over a repeatable route, then decreasing by 2psi and repeating, until you are comfortable with what you feel.
    I am starting that journey with my Busa. Suzuki says 42/42. Does not compute in my brain, but felt good two up with a pillion. However I cant get my head around a 42 front so am slowly decreasing this.Suprising the diference a psi or 2 makes to the feel. Currently at 38f/ 40r. My DRZ400sm-not a light bike- is 25f/29r and my GSXR 600 is currently 34f/36r, depending on the temps of the day and intended use. So many factors it is worth experimenting.
    Agree with all that. I would add it depends on the "feel" you prefer. Myself i hate the squirmy feeling of a low pressure and feel the tyre flexing. For someone whos taking corners at 200 sure a low 30s pressure is warranted but on the street you wont last long anyway doing that.

Problem i hear is that guys who say their tyres are fucked after 2000ks of hard riding see that as proof they need low pressure otherwise they'll kill themselves running 40psi. Newflash you rossi wannabes your tyre is fucked and squared off because your pressure is too low not because your a badass rider.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Agree with all that. I would add it depends on the "feel" you prefer. Myself i hate the squirmy feeling of a low pressure and feel the tyre flexing. For someone whos taking corners at 200 sure a low 30s pressure is warranted but on the street you wont last long anyway doing that.

Problem i hear is that guys who say their tyres are fucked after 2000ks of hard riding see that as proof they need low pressure otherwise they'll kill themselves running 40psi. Newflash you rossi wannabes your tyre is fucked and squared off because your pressure is too low not because your a badass rider.
    Newsflash

If somebody is chewing out a rear tyre in 2000km on low pressure on back roads its typically not squared off in the middle, more that the sides are gone from cornering.

Bike
    the mighty fzr and gsxr
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Bridgestone Battlax S20 Tire Pressures
    Racetrack
    Front (cold): 32 psi
    Front (hot—off the track): 34 psi
    Rear (cold): 30 psi
    Rear (hot—off the track): 34 psi
    Street
    Front (OEM recommendations)
    Rear (OEM recommendations)

Yes the track and street are different... the track is alot stickier in surface and the pressure change of the tyre will be alot more than you'll get on the street and to keep them from overheating you need a lower pressure....

That isn't how i ride a motorcycle hence my opinion differs.
    Ummmm could you please explain this paragraph?.

I have always been told that the lower the pressures the quicker the heat build up in said tire and to keep tire from overheating you add pressure to reduce flex which is what causes the tire to heat.
    winding up stucky since ages ago

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi cowboy View Post
    Ummmm could you please explain this paragraph?.

I have always been told that the lower the pressures the quicker the heat build up in said tire and to keep tire from overheating you add pressure to reduce flex which is what causes the tire to heat.
    It goes both ways

very low pressure heats up fast and can overheat if too low,

when you get the right pressure it comes up to a good temp and holds it quite well...

going the other way you reach a point where the tyre simply cant get up to a good operating temp and even if it does its struggling to warm up so much that you start cruising a bit on a cold day and the tyre will cool off again pretty quickly....

I mean it isnt rocket science. too low... chew tyres .... too high... not using the tyres potential...

had a really good laugh at the attitude of a few psi difference in a tyre wont cause me to slide off the road and i must be riding like a street rossi to have issues... a few psi makes a massive difference and frankly if you ride your bike like that go buy a cruiser and stop posing on the 1000cc superbike

Thread Information