Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sensible Twin

Bike
    Exercycle

Stolen Moments

Contrary to popular belief, neither this project nor I are totally stagnant. Managed a little progress.

The 250 chassis (ex Beast V1.0) had sat for too long so it's been part restoration, part fabrication.
    Engine in, radiator mounted (stock 250). Brakes unseized, calipers cleaned up. Front disc which had been very skilfully reduced to 3.0mm thickness has been replaced with a good stocker (thanks Wallace) - but still 320 OD. I didn't like the thin disc for use on full circuit ruapuna or Timaru - even with a skinny kid on board.

Still to do a replacement subframe. Want a 'glass tank copy as a cover for a small in-frame tank. Still to mount carbs/coils etc....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR150 roller.JPG 
Views:	123 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	328278   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR150 roller 2.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	138.2 KB 
ID:	328279  

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Standard subframe on those is made of cheese. 5/8 pipe, 1mm wall and you can knock up something stronger and lighter for about $60

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Standard subframe on those is made of cheese. 5/8 pipe, 1mm wall and you can knock up something stronger and lighter for about $60
    Have a stack of 3/4in 1.6mm wall MS - and gas in the bottles....already machined the ends to bolt through to the frame.
    And replacing the big FZR seat with the cliche'd TZ G/H seat...
    I've done several subframes in 3/4in - and the big virtue is that they're crashable.
    Actually, thinking back, around 17 - 18 subframes. Shit, i've been doing it a while...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Progress is slowly being achieved. Carbs are ready to go on and have a cable made up. I suppose having found room for the battery and coils I'll have to wire it too...
    I looked at all that room down the left of the cylinder block and thought I'd better put something heavy in there. Battery and TCI box on the outside,coils on the inside. Hung on urethane as are the front engine hangers carrying the std radiator. There's not a lot of mounting points for this stuff in this frame...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR150 electrical 2.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	332354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FZR150 electrical 1.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	168.3 KB 
ID:	332355  

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Looking good, very interesting engine.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by TZ350 View Post
    Looking good, very interesting engine.
    Only if it runs as well as hoped, LOL.

Rob do you remember what the deal is with the LH footrest assembly ? No pivot point for the rearset gear lever on the one fitted. Did you put two RH ones on it ? Probably didn't need the OE gearshift setup...

Bike
    RG50 and 76 Suzuki GP125 Buckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Rob do you remember what the deal is with the LH footrest assembly ? No pivot point for the rearset gear lever on the one fitted. Did you put two RH ones on it ? Probably didn't need the OE gearshift setup...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gear Leaver.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	242.1 KB 
ID:	332356

It was a while ago so not sure exactly what I did or why but looks like I used a reverse lever setup. Post a close up of the hanger and foot rest and Monday I will see if there is one at work.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Only if it runs as well as hoped, LOL.

FZR has a bolt that the lever pivots on.

Bike
    Exercycle

It was a while ago so not sure exactly what I did or why but looks like I used a reverse lever setup. Post a close up of the hanger and foot rest and Monday I will see if there is one at work.
    Thanks - it looks a bit different now, eh. I ditched the tape on the front guard and had it plastic welded. Must make up a new mount/fork brace tomorrow.

it's hard to pick just what should be there for a lever mount, from the parts books.

Bike
    GPR150
    looking good , i can't wait to hear it run ! should go real well
    i'm over buckets

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    So using the two slugs from one side, it runs cross plane Yeah? Or have you made a crank?

Bike
    Exercycle
    So using the two slugs from one side, it runs cross plane Yeah? Or have you made a crank?
    Go back to the first pic - normal 4 cyl crank cut in the middle so it's one up and one down. Given the loads involved I could probably cut and weld to get a twisted twin - say 90 deg phasing. But is it worth it in this small size ?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Go back to the first pic - normal 4 cyl crank cut in the middle so it's one up and one down. Given the loads involved I could probably cut and weld to get a twisted twin - say 90 deg phasing. But is it worth it in this small size ?
    Yeah, cross plane then. Will fire at 180 degrees then be dead for 540.

I doubt it will make any difference at that sort of capacity. My experience with the crossplane R1 is that they're snatchy and fucking horrible.

Bike
    Exercycle

Sorted thanks Rob - You'd shortened the LH footrest which the pedal pivots on. Obviously you didn't need the extra length.
    A stepped spacer machined up with a longer retaining bolt gives me somewhere to put the pedal.

Bike
    husaberg
    Yeah, cross plane then. Will fire at 180 degrees then be dead for 540.

I doubt it will make any difference at that sort of capacity. My experience with the crossplane R1 is that they're snatchy and fucking horrible.
    Flat plane Drew, if the crank was 90 degree it would be crossplane.
    http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/08/18...at-plane-crank
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information