Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sensible Twin

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    A little while back I was sorting stuff out in John Connor's shed. He has the GSXR ignition that I made an adaptor for to get my FZR going initially. It was just sitting in an ice cream container on the bench. He had more or less cleared out the rest of his garage. He might be worth getting in contact with if you are still looking for an ignition. I know it worked and it has everything to make it fit.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    A little while back I was sorting stuff out in John Connor's shed. He has the GSXR ignition that I made an adaptor for to get my FZR going initially. It was just sitting in an ice cream container on the bench. He had more or less cleared out the rest of his garage. He might be worth getting in contact with if you are still looking for an ignition. I know it worked and it has everything to make it fit.
    Don't know him - but yes, shit yes, I'm interested. None of the ignition boxes I have here work and Wallace was kind enough to play with a couple for no reward. He's been pushing a very good deal indeed on an ignitech - which is still out of my price range.
    How do I contact John Connor ? And thanks very hard indeed.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    bump.............
    Bastard...you have too much time to remember dead threads. See previous post, if a working ignition can be found things could move quickly.
    Well, relatively...

I've still got this idea in my mind of how I want the pipes - and I still haven't found suitable tight 1 1/8in OD bends for the first part...

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    Bastard...you have too much time to remember dead threads. See previous post, if a working ignition can be found things could move quickly.
    Well, relatively...
    All i have at the moment id time suely there must must be enough dyna or similar triggers tucked away.
    Personally in the name of expediency i remember highwayman or Mike Moore doing something on a lil 175 or 200 honda with two pitbike inner rotors mounted back to back
    I would be happy to sponsor one if it didn't work i could find a use for it.
    they are on trademe use std honda taper and come complete with coils cdi etc. (Edit it might need a Coil)
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/mot...1819377957.htm

Bike
    Exercycle
    All the stand-alone magnetic triggers - Dyna etc - and self generating mags like chainsaws and pitbikes, run into a wall at about 15000 RPM.
    Ironic as coils since the 60's have been capable of 18000 sparks/min.
    I've got magnetic triggers here - not Dyna but similar to Pertronic - which I picked up in a stock clearout on trademe.
    I've looked long and hard at running them at half engine speed - but a compact drive which is reliable is a problem.
    Neil's 4T twin project has run into the same problem - I understand he's currently thinking about it.

Ideally, I'd re-engineer the camchain tunnel and run a spare cam sprocket up against the chain for a half-speed drive.

Bike
    husaberg
    All the stand-alone magnetic triggers - Dyna etc - and self generating mags like chainsaws and pitbikes, run into a wall at about 15000 RPM.
    Ironic as coils since the 60's have been capable of 18000 sparks/min.
    I've got magnetic triggers here - not Dyna but similar to Pertronic - which I picked up in a stock clearout on trademe.
    I've looked long and hard at running them at half engine speed - but a compact drive which is reliable is a problem.
    Neil's 4T twin project has run into the same problem - I understand he's currently thinking about it.

Ideally, I'd re-engineer the camchain tunnel and run a spare cam sprocket up against the chain for a half-speed drive.
    Id agree i thought the senisable twin was only aiming for arround 15k
    I set up a H100 to run a std CDi from a XR200 to try a flat curve ignition std everything else
    As you know the 125+cc Hondas run the trigger off the cam as STD
    With the MB set up firing at Crankshaft speed it wouldn't rev over about 10K
    There was a mini set up they used to use on KT's and similar that came from an accessory Chainsaw set up that used to be sold as a generic set up that used to run 17K plus.
    I think from how Mike did his twin set up you could cam trigger.
    What ever the set up was on a VT250 they were triggered i think from the crank with mags and revved very high.
    Ibwould have thought you would have access to FZR400 and NC30 stuff?

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    You already have a half-speed drive, it runs the cams. Just remember that the original ignition ran at crank speed and worked. Push comes to shove it isn't going to be a problem

Bike
    Exercycle
    You already have a half-speed drive, it runs the cams. Just remember that the original ignition ran at crank speed and worked. Push comes to shove it isn't going to be a problem
    True. Non exup ignition box ordered off alibaba...
    I'm spending money like a drunkem sailor, fuel pump purchased, clutch cable found still to be paid for.
    As there's a gap in the traffic here, I've started to make the in-frame tank. Goes away for welding of the main box seams tomorrow.
    Once that's done, I'll make up the fittings. Got a cap - Ford Fiesta oil filler and alloy surround. $19 from pick-a-part. The alloy surround was disguised as a rocker cover...

Decided that if I can't make the pipes the way I want, I'll do them how I can. Wanted them side exit in front of the motor, they'll be under the motor now.
    Uses bends I can get rather than ones I can't...

Bike
    husaberg
    True. Non exup ignition box ordered off alibaba...
    I'm spending money like a drunkem sailor, fuel pump purchased, clutch cable found still to be paid for.
    As there's a gap in the traffic here, I've started to make the in-frame tank. Goes away for welding of the main box seams tomorrow.
    Once that's done, I'll make up the fittings. Got a cap - Ford Fiesta oil filler and alloy surround. $19 from pick-a-part. The alloy surround was disguised as a rocker cover...

Decided that if I can't make the pipes the way I want, I'll do them how I can. Wanted them side exit in front of the motor, they'll be under the motor now.
    Uses bends I can get rather than ones I can't...
    I have a rather nice pic of a factory Yamaha superbike pipe rather interesting con fig used on Edwards bike think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yzf750 Superbike 97 ish.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	340937
    Or RC115
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	047bcfe07090c703510a2c498a1ad505.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	340934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rc1153.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	340935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rc16right.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	340936
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Exercycle
    All the fours are using 4:2:1 setups now. Problem is you need a sophisticated computer program to work them out.

Over the years I've tried probably every joined up layout for 180 deg twins you can think of. All generally give a wide spread of power if done right.
    All generally lose out right at the top end. As I've built mainly for Ruapuna and Levels - and biggish bikes - I've gone for spread over top end.
    This thing is going to have to be biased for top end power as it will have to run on full track Ruapuna.

So it's individual pipes, stepped and tapered. And short....

Bike
    husaberg
    All the fours are using 4:2:1 setups now. Problem is you need a sophisticated computer program to work them out.

Over the years I've tried probably every joined up layout for 180 deg twins you can think of. All generally give a wide spread of power if done right.
    All generally lose out right at the top end. As I've built mainly for Ruapuna and Levels - and biggish bikes - I've gone for spread over top end.
    This thing is going to have to be biased for top end power as it will have to run on full track Ruapuna.

So it's individual pipes, stepped and tapered. And short....
    Have a look at the double joints the twin balance pipes i cant figure it out, although i have seen similar on an Avaponic for some bike.
    i like the RC115 though just for nostalgia
    I reminder distinctly .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    There's always the 1/2 gear lever.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    Have a look at the double joints the twin balance pipes i cant figure it out, although i have seen similar on an Avaponic for some bike.
    i like the RC115 though just for nostalgia
    The top junction pipes are as you'd expect. The lower ones look to me like "I've got the time and the argon, what the hell, it'll baffle the opposition"

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    There's always the 1/2 gear lever.
    Too cryptic for me Dave.

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Some call it the clutch. I figure the FZR will take a bit of abuse if required.

Bike
    husaberg
    Some call it the clutch. I figure the FZR will take a bit of abuse if required.
    One of the ones here looks like it may have imploded.
    but its a 45-60hp clutch by the looks of it.

The top junction pipes are as you'd expect. The lower ones look to me like "I've got the time and the argon, what the hell, it'll baffle the opposition"
    Too cryptic for me Dave.
    Id would agree by that was the fastest year for it, oldest bike and still won a race that year. modern mx bikes often have resonator tubes to broaden HP curves i wonder if thats what the lower half of them are. they act if the pipes longer at longer revs. plus drop a few DB's.
    I reminder distinctly .

Thread Information