Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guy Martin shatters landspeed record

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I take my hat off to Guy Martin, a big name in TT, more by personality than prizes but I don't doubt his ability or underpant size, a movie main man, a documentary regular, truck mechanic, TV personality and multi-discipline record breaker. Reads great but that is absolute dedication to life, he's busy.

The thought of a Turbo Rocket III celebration bike has me pondering. What a laugh!

The dude loves speed and is very good at it. GM had a crack at the worlds fastest sledge record if irrc.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ---2000 Triumph SprintT
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    Yeah was def a good start. 400 will be incredibly hard to do.
    No harder than cornering on a harley or making one that looks newer than 1952...

Bike
    Exercycle
    The hard bit about LSR work has moved from simply getting enough HP to putting it down on the salt.
    Like so much in motorsport now it's all about the electronics - wheelspeed sensors stopping wheelspin, more electronics stopping overrevs when it does spin.
    All the pilot can do now is pin it and rely on his electronic engineers...
    Sound familiar ?

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Trade_nancy View Post
    No harder than cornering on a harley or making one that looks newer than 1952...
    Well they still haven't made 4.6l of twin turbo engine go as fast as a twin engined Harley yet...so stranger things have happened I guess...they may get there.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    The hard bit about LSR work has moved from simply getting enough HP to putting it down on the salt.
    Like so much in motorsport now it's all about the electronics - wheelspeed sensors stopping wheelspin, more electronics stopping overrevs when it does spin.
    Sound familiar ?
    Harley engines were so good for it because of their power delivery. Great for traction. Way less HP than they're getting to use now. But no electronics involved...

Bike
    Exercycle
    Harley engines were so good for it because of their power delivery. Great for traction. Way less HP than they're getting to use now. But no electronics involved...
    Is George Smith still alive ? wasn't it his carbs and nitro tuning knowledge that got the HD up there ?

Bike
    Various things
    Is George Smith still alive ? wasn't it his carbs and nitro tuning knowledge that got the HD up there ?
    Not sure mate. Think it was a rig with two shovel engines both with turbos. Not sure what they were drinking.

Bike
    suzuki
    Well they still haven't made 4.6l of twin turbo engine go as fast as a twin engined Harley yet...so stranger things have happened I guess...they may get there.
    it's only practice time, slowly slowly catch a monkey Pete

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it's only practice time, slowly slowly catch a monkey Pete
    Appreciate that mate. Just giving them a wind up...

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    Sound familiar ?
    Indeed. Photos from MCN.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5Q9052_V1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	323832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castrol_013.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	323833  

Bike
    R1200GS Adventure
    They haven't made Guy's Triumph 4.6 litres, either. Sorry about the foreign lingo, but I can't find the English version.

From Motociclismo:

Juntos han puesto sobre la pista una moto con chasis monocasco de carbono con un motor de 2970cc (dos Rocket III juntos) capaz de superar la barrera de los 1.000 cv y un par de 677 Nm.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    They shrunk the motors to get to revs I would guess.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Some old bloke with an Indian found the same thing back in the 1960's riding on chocolate thin tyres with a brandy cork for a fuel cap or something like that.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post
    They haven't made Guy's Triumph 4.6 litres, either. Sorry about the foreign lingo, but I can't find the English version.

From Motociclismo:

Juntos han puesto sobre la pista una moto con chasis monocasco de carbono con un motor de 2970cc (dos Rocket III juntos) capaz de superar la barrera de los 1.000 cv y un par de 677 Nm.
    Google translate reads that as:
    Together they have put on the track, a bike with carbon monocoque chassis with an 2970cc engine (two Rocket III together) able to overcome the barrier of 1,000 hp and 677 Nm a few.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Racing Dave View Post

From Motociclismo:

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Google translate reads that as:
    Together they have put on the track, a bike with carbon monocoque chassis with an 2970cc engine (two Rocket III together) able to overcome the barrier of 1,000 hp and 677 Nm a few.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    That makes sense! Still a good effort first time out. And best of luck to them.

Thread Information