Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Chinese TaoTao scooter WARNING

  1. #1
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347

    Chinese TaoTao scooter WARNING

    Just thought id put a quick not in here warning anyone thinking about purchasing a TaoTao scooter from "Offthenet" in Blenhiem to stop thinking about it and get a known jap brand instead

    Purchased a "Zumico" for my partner 6 months ago and it's just been a nightmare of issues with ZERO hope of the shop backing up any kind of warantee (multiple emails sent, detailing issues and the danger of them)

    To list the issues;

    Shoddy front brakes can be turned by hand with the lever pulled hard in
    tires have manufacturing faults that cause gyroscopic instability at anything over 30kms!
    the battery is inadequate size to start the scooter consistently and now doesn't even charge.
    The kick starter sheared 3 teeth off the pinion gear because it actually had to be used because of the crap battery!
    locks are shit, already ruined 1 key because they jam.
    The headlight shat it's self the day after we got it
    to put the icing on the cake tonight it shredded a drive belt that then jammed itself in and locked the rear wheel solid, thankgod noone got hurt but i have a shivering scared senseless gf here who will probably never use it again! (days like these i'm so glad i got her a decent alpinestars jacket..)

    Ill be taking to the shop to court to get a refund. If anyone else has had these same issues let me know!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    6th May 2012 - 10:41
    Bike
    invisibike
    Location
    pulling a sick mono
    Posts
    6,057
    Blog Entries
    4
    this one time, i bought cheap chinese shit, and the quality wasn't good.



    ...i was not surprised. are you?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    6th June 2008 - 17:24
    Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Location
    Behind keybd in The Tron
    Posts
    6,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    this one time, i bought cheap chinese shit, and the quality wasn't good.



    ...i was not surprised. are you?

    Not in the least...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Just thought id put a quick not in here warning anyone thinking about purchasing a TaoTao scooter from "Offthenet" in Blenhiem to stop thinking about it and get a known jap brand instead

    Purchased a "Zumico" for my partner 6 months ago and it's just been a nightmare of issues with ZERO hope of the shop backing up any kind of warantee (multiple emails sent, detailing issues and the danger of them)

    To list the issues;

    Shoddy front brakes can be turned by hand with the lever pulled hard in
    tires have manufacturing faults that cause gyroscopic instability at anything over 30kms!
    the battery is inadequate size to start the scooter consistently and now doesn't even charge.
    The kick starter sheared 3 teeth off the pinion gear because it actually had to be used because of the crap battery!
    locks are shit, already ruined 1 key because they jam.
    The headlight shat it's self the day after we got it
    to put the icing on the cake tonight it shredded a drive belt that then jammed itself in and locked the rear wheel solid, thankgod noone got hurt but i have a shivering scared senseless gf here who will probably never use it again! (days like these i'm so glad i got her a decent alpinestars jacket..)

    Ill be taking to the shop to court to get a refund. If anyone else has had these same issues let me know!
    Let the LTNZ know, they may do something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    3rd March 2008 - 11:55
    Bike
    0094473185
    Location
    Riding the evil flatlands
    Posts
    2,132
    Cheap chinese shit is cheap chinese shit.

    Who'd have thought
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

    Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

  6. #6
    Join Date
    25th June 2007 - 21:21
    Bike
    S1000RR
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    6,991
    Like I always say, anyone who buys a cheap Chinese junk deserves all the mechanical faults they'll get.

    But then, people who tries to make money off selling these death traps are equal or worse than drug dealers. I say they should be shot in the head


    If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by EJK View Post
    Like I always say, anyone who buys a cheap Chinese junk deserves all the mechanical faults they'll get.

    But then, people who tries to make money off selling these death traps are equal or worse than drug dealers. I say they should be shot in the head

    i didn't expect major quality, but I did expect it to be up to the standard required by law in areas where it matters; tires and brakes mainly.

    Am i surprised that the battery and lights crapped out? or that the mirrors are loose? not atall, am i surprised that the brakes don't stop atall after it's supposedly been through a vtnz inspection for being registered? Yes. I'm pissed off that ANYONE is allowed to sell anything that is this life threatening, and don't even care after multiple emails.

    apparently "brakes are brakes" and there are no nz standards, according to the seller anyway.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    6th January 2009 - 12:17
    Bike
    Dont have one now
    Location
    New Plymouth
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Just thought id put a quick not in here warning anyone thinking about purchasing a TaoTao scooter from "Offthenet" in Blenhiem to stop thinking about it and get a known jap brand instead

    Purchased a "Zumico" for my partner 6 months ago and it's just been a nightmare of issues with ZERO hope of the shop backing up any kind of warantee (multiple emails sent, detailing issues and the danger of them)

    To list the issues;

    Shoddy front brakes can be turned by hand with the lever pulled hard in
    tires have manufacturing faults that cause gyroscopic instability at anything over 30kms!
    the battery is inadequate size to start the scooter consistently and now doesn't even charge.
    The kick starter sheared 3 teeth off the pinion gear because it actually had to be used because of the crap battery!
    locks are shit, already ruined 1 key because they jam.
    The headlight shat it's self the day after we got it
    to put the icing on the cake tonight it shredded a drive belt that then jammed itself in and locked the rear wheel solid, thankgod noone got hurt but i have a shivering scared senseless gf here who will probably never use it again! (days like these i'm so glad i got her a decent alpinestars jacket..)

    Ill be taking to the shop to court to get a refund. If anyone else has had these same issues let me know!
    Seriously? You fucken numpty

  9. #9
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by skippa1 View Post
    Seriously? You fucken numpty
    Yes seriously, the importer doesn't give a shit about the potential for causing harm and is continuing to sell them and will do so until someone makes him accountable.
    I know they're dangerous and so now have a responsibly to ensure they are removed from NewZealand roads.

    My partner has nearly had a head-on with an oncoming vehicle due to these manufacturing defects, not something i find funny or take lightly.

    Everyone complains about high acc levies, but noone does anything to get the dangerous shit that causes many of the accidents off the streets.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    20th June 2011 - 20:27
    Bike
    BMW XChallenge, GSXR1250fa, Tuono 1100
    Location
    Glen Eden
    Posts
    9,696
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    Yes seriously, the importer doesn't give a shit about the potential for causing harm and is continuing to sell them and will do so until someone makes him accountable.
    I know they're dangerous and so now have a responsibly to ensure they are removed from NewZealand roads.

    My partner has nearly had a head-on with an oncoming vehicle due to these manufacturing defects, not something i find funny or take lightly.

    Everyone complains about high acc levies, but noone does anything to get the dangerous shit that causes many of the accidents off the streets.
    Thinking about it, give the commerce commission a call tomorrow. They will act.

    But dont buy cheap crap.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    5th December 2009 - 16:29
    Bike
    2016 Yam Tracer, 2007 ST1300,2008 XT250,
    Location
    Kapiti
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post

    apparently "brakes are brakes" and there are no nz standards, according to the seller anyway.
    All new moped do need to meet a brake standard should be on a statement of compliance supplied by the manufacturer , not sure about the credability of some Chinese vendors though

    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....and-park-brake

  12. #12
    Join Date
    23rd October 2013 - 18:30
    Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    1,262
    Despite the usual dick heads in here, you're doing the right thing taking them to court Seraph. Importers and retailers need to stand behind their products - they're legally obliged to, but the moral imperative should be enough. If it isn't, they shouldn't be trading in this country. Best of luck, not that you'll need luck to win this one, it's a pretty obvious case.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by biggo View Post
    All new moped do need to meet a brake standard should be on a statement of compliance supplied by the manufacturer , not sure about the credability of some Chinese vendors though

    https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....and-park-brake


    I never saw a statement of compliance as the registration was taken care of by the importer at an extra cost of $200, as far as i can see the brake shoes have no manufacturer markings atall and have a truly shocking stopping distance.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    Thinking about it, give the commerce commission a call tomorrow. They will act.

    But dont buy cheap crap.....

    I'd totally forgotten about them i will do!

    the options at the time were limited by both funds and situation (partner needed immediate independent transport for starting a new job and has no car, and is on her learners) the tossup between an unknown history second hand brand name scooter or a new Chinese one with supposed warantee cover was hard, in the end the shiny new one won and now 7 months later here we are.
    This is the first experience I've had with a really terribly produced Chinese product, We also have a pair of chang pitbikes that have been thrashed with not so much as an oil change and still soldier on without missing a beat (far better brakes too..)

    seems abit hit or fall of a cliff....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    6th May 2006 - 19:03
    Bike
    2013 Harley custom
    Location
    timaru
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Despite the usual dick heads in here, you're doing the right thing taking them to court Seraph. Importers and retailers need to stand behind their products - they're legally obliged to, but the moral imperative should be enough. If it isn't, they shouldn't be trading in this country. Best of luck, not that you'll need luck to win this one, it's a pretty obvious case.
    thankyou for the words of support! I really feel for everyone else who has been suckered into buying one of these shit boxes, but has no previous experience to draw the conclusion from that they're not anywhere near upto standard for road use. I hate the fact that instead of maning up and admitting his fault the importer just ignores emails and pleas to seriously review the faults, I think the devil must have eaten his sole.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •