Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crap fuel

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Use it in your Norton, not much difference in technology between that and a lawnmower
    More chance of the lawnmower starting

So bought that MHR yet?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Bike
    A
    Quote Originally Posted by Intruder VS View Post
    I've read a few times on forums ethanol is really bad for 2 strokes and to stay away from it, can't remember why tho.
    Meh, been using the Gull Force10 in my two smoke weed whacker for two years at least.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire View Post
    So bought that MHR yet?
    Can't afford it or I would have
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    It is not just in one bike guys,its in all three that I start up and ride every couple of months,two are twin carbed and one is single,go figure.E10 sorry I would not touch it.Thought about Stabil or similar,but these are just Band Aids to fix a fuel quality problem.Guess I,like other classic bike owners (except A10's),will just have to live with it but I still might give the AA fuel guy a rev.

Bike
    Exercycle
    It'll keep ok if it's in a sealed container. Your classics have shall we say, very well vented fuel systems - so will collect any moisture and lose the light end components easily. Particularly when there's a hot engine radiating just below the tank...
    The other point is location - Russell ain't Rangiora. That's both climate and the fuel available.

For something used only occasionally in a warm climate, total draining of the tank and carbs is probably best. Just like a racebike...

I used to put a bit of race fuel in my tank, always started up well after a couple of months then.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    It is not just in one bike guys,its in all three that I start up and ride every couple of months,two are twin carbed and one is single,go figure.E10 sorry I would not touch it.Thought about Stabil or similar,but these are just Band Aids to fix a fuel quality problem.Guess I,like other classic bike owners (except A10's),will just have to live with it but I still might give the AA fuel guy a rev.
    That is just crap then.

Which makes me wonder - there are a shit load of very high performance cars on the road that get infrequent use - do they have issues?

Spring the $16 and throw in some stabiliser and see if it makes a difference - you'll at least be a lot closer to confirming it is the fuel.

Race fuel - now we are talking!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Sounds like a wabbit is off somewhere BK.

The four carby bikes I have in the shed start fine after sitting in the cold and damp for weeks, sometimes months. Admittedly they are not quite vintage age yet, 90's.
    I always get my fuel in Kawakawa which has a high turnover. Do you use the new station, or the old one in town? I've heard unhappy mutterings about the quality of fuel at the old station, it has been blamed in the past for quite a few spluttery outboards.

Oh, how did the green slime campaign go? I've noticed no difference.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    TT500 F9 Kawasaki EFI
    I run the Gull E85 in my 1973 Kawasaki, good for air cooled engines. Yes don't let the fuel sit, use it or drain it. The Kawasaki won't be going back on straight petrol any time soon, the ethanol in that good for performance!

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Sounds like a wabbit is off somewhere BK.

The four carby bikes I have in the shed start fine after sitting in the cold and damp for weeks, sometimes months. Admittedly they are not quite vintage age yet, 90's.
    I always get my fuel in Kawakawa which has a high turnover. Do you use the new station, or the old one in town? I've heard unhappy mutterings about the quality of fuel at the old station, it has been blamed in the past for quite a few spluttery outboards.

Oh, how did the green slime campaign go? I've noticed no difference.
    I get my fuel from all over Mark co's I get around a bit,mainly at Z in Kamo co's its cheap(ish).The station in town closed when the new one opened over a year ago,you really should get out more-Re the green ice-I saw a spray truck on the Back Road twice,the stuff went a bit brown,but now spring is near its not too bad.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    OK-will drain tank(s) as suggested by Grumph but this does not really answer the problem which is the fact that they will not start with stale fuel in carbs but the moment I drain the carbs and open the petcock to refill with existing "fresh fuel" from the tank,the bikes start up straight away.If the fuel in the tank was suspect I should be having similar problems.As previously stated,I am not the only one who is experiencing these problems.If a tank drain and the addition of a stabiliser does not improve things I will revert to draining the carbs each time
    and get on with life.

Bike
    Exercycle
    When i said you had well ventilated fuel systems I should have qualified it a bit. From mid 70's on most bikes went to tank and carb vents which didn't usually go to atmosphere - but initially to a collector/filter setup. Later ones have got even tighter on what goes to evaporation so the problem of losing the volatile ends of the fuel has got less.
    The big problem as I see it is that as you lose the light ends,the specific gravity of the fuel changes. Given that we're asking for the fuel to be drawn through small holes by a pretty low vacuum, any change toward a "heavier" fuel is going to show up.
    Cars and late model injected stuff won't show this problem. Cars because they have a much higher manifold vacuum, injected because they don't rely on gravity feed or manifold vacuum.

Some years back I did a lot of TQ carbs. Gradually the guys using carbs went to Hilborn injection - not because they went better or made more power - often they made less - but because the pump system would push meth with a lot of water in it through the nozzles and the motor would run.
    If you didn't do the maintenance on a carb system, it simply wouldn't run...
    A simple case of going to injection because they were lazy....

You used to be able to get water testing kits from the fuel companies. When i was doing a lot of carb work on meth burners i always carried a kit. Still got some test sticks in the toolbox. Worth seeing if you can find a kit if you have worries about the local garage...
    Once i was experienced at it, I used to surprise people by simply tasting their meth - when it's salty it has water in it. Wouldn't do that now....

Bike
    As many as I can get away with
    Oh Greg...that last couple of sentences explains a lot about you

Not sure if it's coincidence but I've found that any of my old bikes with mags are worse at starting with stale fuel than any of them with points, but I'd put that down to fixed/manual advance with a magneto as against a rudimentary advance setup with the points ones. Electronic injection sure has a huge benefit to starting on evap fuel. My injected quad starts first push of the button EVERY time, whether it's been going 9 months ago or yesterday.
    Suck it up ladies...it's part of owning classic bikes

Bike
    Exercycle
    Never more than a drop on the tongue, Nev...and an educated palate, LOL.

Trouble was, I'd get approached at nationals by guys groping in the dark when running meth - often sidecar guys...
    You'd ask, when did you mix this or open the tin ? Much thought and they'd answer, Wanganui, or maybe Pukekohe...So i'd ask what i already knew, was it raining there ? Then, did you drain the tank after the meeting...Knowing full well what the answers would be.
    At times I was genuinely surprised any sidecars ever got to the grids.

Bike
    1972 Norton Commando
    [QUOTE=swarfie;1130994841]Oh Greg...that last couple of sentences explains a lot about you

Not sure if it's coincidence but I've found that any of my old bikes with mags are worse at starting with stale fuel than any of them with points, but I'd put that down to fixed/manual advance with a magneto as against a rudimentary advance setup with the points ones. Electronic injection sure has a huge benefit to starting on evap fuel. My injected quad starts first push of the button EVERY time, whether it's been going 9 months ago or yesterday.
    Suck it up ladies...it's part of owning classic bikes[/QUOTE

Electric Start Quad???, is that for getting around the estate on?
    DeMyer's Laws - an argument that consists primarily of rambling quotes isn't worth bothering with.

Thread Information