Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life span of a sports bike

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    It's often a team effort.
    yes and your pet bike the Katana is named after a sword, when they came out people said those who lived by the sword also died by the sword.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Aprilia only tested their bikes to 50,000ks because they figured that was all most owners would do. They wondered how the opposition was performing so they hooked a Fireblade engine up to their test bed, that engine just would not die.
    (I can't use quote marks because I read that years ago.)

Big Jap bikes these days could run forever. I suspect most expire from sudden contact with solid objects rather than engine wear.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    how long does a sportsbike last?
    shit, how long is a peice of string. theres a 2000 CBR600 F4i in the USA thats had its entire life documented online. currently sits a little over 300k miles, so just under 500,000km and still going strong.

Ive seen bikes with 20k on them, and theyre half fucked.

If youre looking at a 250, worth remembering that high redlines means the engines done more work than a bigger capacity motor for the same kms. and 250's are more likely to have had a list of noob owners that dont understand the importance of, or process of, performing basic, regular maintenance.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Interesting.

Oil oil oil oil - frequent changes are the secret to engine life.

If you think about normal use on public roads you really have to be a mad bastard to be constantly thrashing a engine due to the truly nutty speeds obtained at the top end - speed limit anyone - well that's first gear ......

I had 115,000 kms on a 1982 Kawasaki 750 twin - basic stuff engine wise, did the cam-chain and associated parts at 100 just for security's sake and popped in a fresh pair of rings just because. Then sold it shortly after

Appears that the big bore Honda's, Suzukis and Kawasakis if given fresh oil frequently live a long life.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    Appears that the big bore Honda's, Suzukis and Kawasakis if given fresh oil frequently live a long life.
    Quite a few owners on the UK Honda Blackbird forum have done over 200,000 Miles with nothing more than changing oil regularly and replacing the cam chain tensioner at 40,000 mile intervals

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've got two first generation GSXR thous, 01 and 02 models, 100,000+km and 72,000km respectively, and both still going strong.

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kiwithor View Post
    Just wondering what kind of life span you can get from a sports bike (or any bike for that matter). Looking at getting an older bike to work on as a project and have seen some high ish km ones for sale, just interested to know how long they can go for.
    well sure if you change the oil and filter spark plugs i brought a 1990 vfr 750 and it done 50,000 miles and thought ohh shit.

runs swwet as engine is strong as a bull revs and smooth as . from what ive read its not un common

bikes in 80,s seemed need engine work by then nake them last long time know , things like cam chains can stretch .

And of course your tires and chains are going wear out , cant stop tires wearing but good maintence on oring chains last along time also

it used be said the short stroke under sqaure engines high revving whould wear quicker , but with new materials doesint seem be case

these days . some sports bike s are nearly over sqaure bore stroke some gsx 100oors i belive

Am guesing the power these bikes can produce and at highish gearing you be hard pressed to trash them on nz roads

and keep your licence or not have you wall paper lined with tickets . ;-)

Mind you even small capicity 250cc sportsbikes have 20 year plus runs these days use good motro oil look after your bike

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    My 08 Busa is about to hit 70,000 Km and is purring along like a Kitten.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    00 Gixxer 750 and ZX10 tricycle
    I got my 2000 750 at 37k on the clock. That was in 2005, 11 and a bit years later it has nearly cracked the 100k mark... Had a compression test done last year and they were all fine. I can't speak for the last owner but I have thrashed the piss out of this bike and its still going strong(as soon as I replace the fuel rail o-rings which have gonna bit square due to me putting farm fuel in it and having to pull out injectors a couple of times to clean them out).
    Built for speed, not for comfort

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Bikes nowadays seem to have pretty good life spans as long as they are looked after. Touch wood, but the only bike engine I've managed to destroy was a KR150, which was my first bike and had basically no maintenance and got red lined pretty much every gear change - I still got 60,000 Km out of it though.

My other high Kilometer bikes that I can remember offhand were a VT250 (80k), SV1000 (120k) and the GS500 (140k).

Funnily enough, the bike I had the most issues with was a low km GT650. It only had 7000km on the clock when I bought it, but all sorts of things went wrong in the 2 years (and 30000km) that I owned it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    '08 Wee
    By the sounds of it engines are usually not a thing to worry about, if the oil has been changed regularly etc.

The other thing to consider is how it has been stored, if the bike is a little older. I got the news the other day, when getting the fork seals done, that my forks weren't looking flash hot. I put the pitting down to how the bike was stored two owners ago (who didn't ride it much at all).

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries
    My GSXR1000 K4 is an ex Andrew stroud championship winning bike. It now has 80,000 km on the clock and still goes like a missile. Don't be too stressed about the mileage if the bike looks like it's been well looked after and the owner is happy to start it from stone cold. If you go to look at one and the headers are warm... even slightly... it shows the owner is nervous about it starting from cold.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R1madness View Post
    My GSXR1000 K4 is an ex Andrew stroud championship winning bike. It now has 80,000 km on the clock and still goes like a missile. Don't be too stressed about the mileage if the bike looks like it's been well looked after and the owner is happy to start it from stone cold. If you go to look at one and the headers are warm... even slightly... it shows the owner is nervous about it starting from cold.
    Or they ride it daily to work and got home 2 hrs before you turn up to look at it.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Exercycle
    For what it's worth, I've turned quite a few bikes into racebikes now.
    Pre 63 - replace everything. Take nothing on trust as it'll be cracked or worn out.
    Pre72 - in most cases (japanese) the main bits will be reusable. Probably needs bearings, pistons and seals.
    Pre82 - again most bits probably reusable. Kawa and Suzuki roller cranks will usually be good. Better pistons and camchain needed, possibly valves too.
    Pre 89 - maybe shells but I've found quite a few still good. Rings and seals needed. Forged pistons needed.

Everything later that i've opened up has been surprisingly good - even sidecar motors which usually need the gearbox looking at.

Progress has been made.

Thread Information