Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking NZ on a bike - Genius or a terrible idea?

Bike
    gsx250
    Camper mate is a pretty good app for traveling around new Zealand. I have used it a couple of times and haven't had issues.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Bandit 1200
    Quote Originally Posted by jafagsx250 View Post
    Camper mate is a pretty good app for traveling around new Zealand. I have used it a couple of times and haven't had issues.
    Yep - I've already got that loaded with the offline maps - pretty sweet! Problem seems to be finding free campsites - without a self contained van it's quite limited. I inquired about whether or not it's cheaper for me since I'm on a motorcycle, and the prices are the exact same when compared to a non self-contained van. It would be cool to have some offroad sites mapped out somehow - the ones you can only get to with a dual purpose, quad, etc...

Cheers

Bike
    KTM 640 Enduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Micheken View Post
    Yep - I've already got that loaded with the offline maps - pretty sweet! Problem seems to be finding free campsites - without a self contained van it's quite limited. I inquired about whether or not it's cheaper for me since I'm on a motorcycle, and the prices are the exact same when compared to a non self-contained van. It would be cool to have some offroad sites mapped out somehow - the ones you can only get to with a dual purpose, quad, etc...

Cheers
    On a lot of offroad routes through public land, especially in the South Island, you can pretty much camp where you want unless there's a sign telling you not to. Leave no trace, due to ongoing problems with freedom campers leaving rubbish & shit all over NZ there are more no camping signs going up all the time. The free campsites with tarmac road access & close to tourist areas are usually pretty crowded over the summer & best avoided anyway.

It looks like http://www.remotemoto.com is down for maintenance or something right now but check back in a few days & get signed up to that. Josh has virtually all the good South Is offroad routes, campsites, vehicle accessible huts, etc etc listed on there.

Cheers
    Clint

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Plenty of places to camp if all you need is a toilet and water supply, you can always stop in to a full facility campground every few days to clean yourself and your gear.

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...to-do/camping/

If you come up with a rough schedule of where you'll be and when, it should be no problem finding a bed and/or a garage.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Bandit 1200
    That's great news - I wasn't sure how much tourism had affected the south island so far. I really don't want to be a shitty tourist - only tracks left behind will be those of my DR650!

Cheers,
    Ryan

Bike
    72 Kawasaki A7, 05 Kawasaki W650
    Most tourists are decent and respectful. A noisy handful of locals make an awful lot of noise about a very small minority of disrepectful visitors.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner View Post
    Most tourists are decent and respectful. A noisy handful of locals make an awful lot of noise about a very small minority of disrepectful visitors.
    Having spent a lot of time with tourists, I would have to say the fuckwit quotient is equal between the two. People are people. Same for noisy minorities world wide.

I must admit that Canadians stand out as being very cool tourists. I have liked all those I have met. Keep up the good work!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2012 KTM 990 Adventure
    I'm kind of a map nut (past career), so for me there is an essential "don't leave home without it" app: Topo GPS NZ. It is the only app I have ever paid money for ($8, I think). It covers all of NZ 1:50,000 topographic maps, and it is very accurate and up to date. If you're not familiar with topo maps, I highly recommend learning how to take advantage of them. The best feature of the app is it allows offline maps - huge help when you're off the grid, which on a DR in NZ will happen often

If you're unfamiliar with topo, navigate over to topomap.co.nz and play around. Arguably the best feature for our types is that it is highly accurate showing gravel vs. tarmac, which is something you don't get out of Google maps.

I myself have been here about 1.5 yrs and put on about 6,000 km on the North Island and about 4,500 km on the South (I hold a full time job and here with a family, so my riding is limited) - there is no other place like NZ to ride, and everybody is super friendly as evidenced on KB.

Enjoy your time here!

Bike
    Bandit 1200
    Canadians have an issue when travelling - we're mistaken for Americans. Not that Americans are bad - but certain countries like France, Cuba, etc have beefs with Americans and sometimes take that out on tourists. That's why I sewed a Canadian flag onto my backpack. Apparently that's not a big deal over here, but elsewhere it is since we're immediately judged whether or not we are nice people. I once drove in to a small town in Cuba and made sure to be waving a Canadian flag. Everyone was waving and whistling, but otherwise it might have gone another way.

But yeah Canadians can be really friendly - especially outside of the big cities. I'm from Victoria (on an island west of Vancouver) and the people there are ridiculously nice. When I moved there and got lost wandering around, people could tell and they would stop and tell me to get in so they could give me a lift home. So far, I feel like that would (and probably will) happen here too!

Quote Originally Posted by RainMan303 View Post
    I'm kind of a map nut (past career), so for me there is an essential "don't leave home without it" app: Topo GPS NZ.
    That app looks great. I was already using the MAPS.ME app which uses OpenStreetMap maps as a source (http://maps.me/en/home). I believe Topo GPS NZ uses the same source maps as well. They're amazingly detailed and anyone can contribute to them. I'll probably but that app, though, since it looks even better than mine. Actually, I also brought a Garmin GPS (a cheapo one that I'll waterproof using this trick: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2UvIoL78Cg), but it's always nice to have options - especially when you're out of network range and need some directions!

I'll be in the Auckland area (or an hour or two outside of it) for the next month or so in case anyone wants to show me the ropes of offroad riding - this is my first dual purpose...

Cheers,
    Ryan

Bike
    Bandit 1200
    I'm all set. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    No you're not. Where's the sheepskin?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    The man's from west of the Rockies which explains why there are no snowshoes strapped to the bike...

Enjoy your riding and exploring...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    The man's from west of the Rockies which explains why there are no snowshoes strapped to the bike...

Enjoy your riding and exploring...
    Quite a steed for the task. Not sure why there is an old fashioned land line phone on the bars. Be hard to get your fingers in the little holes with gloves on.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2012 KTM 990 Adventure

Backpacking NZ on a bike - Genius or a terrible idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Micheken View Post
    Actually, I also brought a Garmin GPS (a cheapo one that I'll waterproof using this trick: [...] but it's always nice to have options - especially when you're out of network range and need some directions!
    I have a similar Garmin that I got as a gift. Must say while it does have some limited entertainment value (e.g., current GPS speed, speed camera warning, current posted speed limit), I stopped relying on it for navigation for various reasons when adventure touring (still works well for general travel with family). Once it even took me to a locked gate near Taupo after about 30-40 km on gravel and running on fumes. I could walk over to State Highway 5 on the other side, but was not able to get my KTM 990 to the other side - apparently I was on the _inside_ of a restricted area. It was pretty funny when I came across some security guards - lol.

Bike
    Do it.
    You will meet plenty of people who will lend you tools, beds, workshop space etc for maintenance when required mate. NZ is a pretty friendly place.

Thread Information