Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Great run for me . Did a few extra mms due to GPS issues but never mind, the gravel was nice...

Who else can't wait for next year's ride?

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Great run for me . Did a few extra mms due to GPS issues but never mind, the gravel was nice...

Who else can't wait for next year's ride?
    Working on the 2019 event while I wait for the last 2018 rider to come in....

Bike
    2016 Honda ST1300,86/87 XJ900F,
    Ready and waiting ☺☺☺

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Tapatalk

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Working on the 2019 event while I wait for the last 2018 rider to come in....
    That's dedication. Thanks for all your hard work, very much appreciated.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Yes. Excellent rally. We reached all our cp's, should have paid more attention at the briefing and researched the bridge closure. Made an already tight deadline even closer. Thought the detour would be at the bridge.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Out of interest, how many points did you have to get in the 48 hour period?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Out of interest, how many points did you have to get in the 48 hour period?

50,000. Different values points on offer depending on how tricky they are to get. I plan for more in case I miss one or choose to slip one.

Aimed for 59,000 this year and got 59,000

Bike
    Thanks for that. The Tt2000 looks really interesting. I might actually give it a go next time.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    You should. Solo or with buddies. Preferably of similar riding style and stamina.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    You should. Solo or with buddies. Preferably of similar riding style and stamina.
    I'd definitely be looking to do it solo. Partly, because I don't know any other motorcyclists who'd be likely to want to join me on this type of ride, but mainly so I could plan my own route and go at my own pace, which I think is essential - even if I didn't end up completing it on my first go, at least I'd have a basemark to beat in the future. That said, there are definitely plus points from learning off of an experienced participant.

Having never participated, obviously, I don't know what I don't yet know regarding the mental and physical toughness of the event. That said, I think that the toughest part for me, wouldn't so much be the distance itself - I've done a fair few post-1000 km rides before (although, admittedly, not two of them back-to-back). I think that my biggest challenge would actually be trying to get a good night's sleep the night before the event due to the excitement. I'm sure that it's a whole lot tougher if you're already tired before you start!

It's definitely something that I should add to my bucket list though.

Bike
    I do have one other basic question - are the start and end location always at the same location or do they change each year?

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Start points have changed over the years. Dunedin, Blenheim and Nelson. Finish points have been Picton, but usually Christchurch.
    Nth Island TT2000 option is not always run.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I'd definitely be looking to do it solo. Partly, because I don't know any other motorcyclists who'd be likely to want to join me on this type of ride, but mainly so I could plan my own route and go at my own pace, which I think is essential - even if I didn't end up completing it on my first go, at least I'd have a basemark to beat in the future. That said, there are definitely plus points from learning off of an experienced participant.

Having never participated, obviously, I don't know what I don't yet know regarding the mental and physical toughness of the event. That said, I think that the toughest part for me, wouldn't so much be the distance itself - I've done a fair few post-1000 km rides before (although, admittedly, not two of them back-to-back). I think that my biggest challenge would actually be trying to get a good night's sleep the night before the event due to the excitement. I'm sure that it's a whole lot tougher if you're already tired before you start!

It's definitely something that I should add to my bucket list though.

The start time is midday on a Friday, finishing midday on Sunday. Because of this you've only really got one full-on day of riding on Saturday and means you get two decent rests between rides rather than having to do two 1000km days back to back.

You've hit the nail on the head when you mention about planning your own route and choosing your own pace. That's what's so great about the TT2000. But you can be in the remotest spot, having not seen another rider for hours, yet at the checkpoint you nearly always meet someone. There's a shared experience and comradeship, even if its just a big wave as you pass.

The other side is that it will get you to bits of NZ you've never seen before, twisty fun roads you've never traveled, and views that are fresh.

See you at the start;-)

Bike
    2017 Honda Africa Twin
    Think I may have to give this ago this year. Haven't done one since 2013 and need to put some is on my bike lol

Thread Information