Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Do One One (this challenge is your fault Wayne:-))
    Guilty as charged, your honour...

Gotta warn you that One One is pretty rough (when I was there in May - it might change by Feb. 2017), with a short section about 1km from the end that had rocks about the size of baseballs all over it - like a sort of rough river bed. What I would call a "technical section".

It's perfect negotiable on any road bike (it wouldn't be on the list if it wasn't) but add another 5-10mins to your schedule!

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    BTW, any veterans of the 2015 event will think that the 2017 gravel sections are mild compared to 2015s Aspiring, Mt. Algidus and Klondyke checkpoints.

Boy, was I cursing the rally master late on Saturday night, in the dusk, from the middle of a farmer's paddock where the road to Klondyke (or so I thought) had just faded out existance. By the time I got accosted by the cocky's wife and explained my way off the property, found the correct road and stumbled my way up Klondyke Terrace (without falling in the canal - just) and found the gate, it was full dark. And then I had to turn around and do it again, in reverse.

I made up some new names for rally masters that night.. not nice ones either!

I was about an hour behind on my schedule after that and stopped one CP early that night. Good thing too, as I had barely gotten my tent up at the Mt. Somers campground and the heavens opened... The TT gods were smiling on me, although I didn't feel it was so at the time. I was so dejected at being behind (and the fact that it was raining) that I considered ditching Mt. Algidus the next morning and just heading for the finish. But I did it and I'm so glad, as the Mt. Algidus CP was the highlight of the day.

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Have been sitting here very carefully looking at a proposed route. I am lucky I had the assistance of Jantar who is here with us at present. Finally got number 4 this afternoon. It's no use to me but it is to him. The other 3 weren't to difficult.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Malcolm's gonna join us this time? Been running through some potential routes for the eastern section to avoid city traffic times and shortest distance obviously.

North Island 1600km October 8th. Great event with like minded riders. Give it a go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post

And I never imagined a Spyder would attempt One One!

HEY !! After doing the 1000 miler on an MT-01, there's something to be said about taking 'weird/different' on trips... And have done 5 weeks touring down south in the last 2yrs {by spyder}.. be warned, there is an 'urge' building to do the 1000 on a spyder.....

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    ... be warned, there is an 'urge' building to do the 1000 on a spyder.....
    Has it got a good gas range?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Has it got a good gas range?
    yes it does, just over 300k to a tankful ridden 'steady',,, you just HAD to bring that up huh?
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    I think he may be suggesting there is is a long stretch between fuel stops on this year's NI1600.
    Or he likes winding you up...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    I think he may be suggesting there is is a long stretch between fuel stops on this year's NI1600.

lol no, it was the 'joke' of that 1000miler, I was the rider with the 'tiny one' they had to make an 'adjustment for'.... 15ltrs on a 1700cc V twin {stage 2}, was lucky to get 200km before 'fuel light' if ridden like a 'nana'.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    I remember now.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    yes it does, just over 300k to a tankful ridden 'steady',,, you just HAD to bring that up huh?
    How is that possible on an RS?? I'm looking for a petrol station at 220 and in a panic at 240:-) Mind you I've never really learnt this 'steady' thing you speak of:-)

Your right that is a bit of an issue this year in places. However having learnt my lesson last year in Greymouth when the only 24 hour petrol station was out of action - I'll have two 5litre petrol cans in each pannier and another 10 litre one in the frunk (front storage on a Spyder). Basically I'll be a 3 wheeled fuel bouser:-)

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Malcolm's gonna join us this time? Been running through some potential routes for the eastern section to avoid city traffic times and shortest distance obviously.
    I'm planning on skipping Godley Head just because I can't face riding through Christchurch, do enough of that as it is and it would just wind me up at the start. Particularly as I don't have the option of lane splitting.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Yeah the Godley Head one is a pain especially due to the road closures.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Yeah the Godley Head one is a pain especially due to the road closures.

Just to warn out of towners who may not know what we're referring to:

Sumner Road between Lyttleton and Godley Head Park has been closed since the shakes - a lot of GPS systems don't know this so will try and send you that way (including Basecamp). According to Highways the road will not be open until 31 March 2018. Main Road out to Sumner also tends to have a lot of roadworks/contra flows on it. So there's a good reason why that one is a 4000 pointer:-)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Your right that is a bit of an issue this year in places. However having learnt my lesson last year in Greymouth when the only 24 hour petrol station was out of action - I'll have two 5litre petrol cans in each pannier and another 10 litre one in the frunk (front storage on a Spyder). Basically I'll be a 3 wheeled fuel bouser:-)
    And to think I got hassled for having a 18L auxiliary tank on the back seat. Everyone said they'd see the cloud if I went off the road.

Night time availability of gas is always one of the biggest tests when trying to ride big distance, be it 24hr 1000 miles, or doing night work for TT (especially with the distances in the South Island at night, with no gas - especially when your European bike doesn't want the cheap stuff).

I eliminated the problem by having the GSA with 36-38L. I budget 600km when moving at pace (has a bit spare), but being economical I can go beyond 700km (variance also increases with increased range). One TT (whatastoner will remember that), leaving Chch I rode through the night, taking in Danseys and Hakataramea, fueling in Ranfurly (a pump was available 24hrs) in the early hours, and that carried me through to Invercargill in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Thread Information