Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    2013 BMW R1200GSA
    Okay - thanks will do

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Slightly unrelated to the TT2000 but as you're all knowledgeable about finding your way to checkpoints...

Doing my first NI 1600 in 3 weeks. I know my way around the SI very well - lost my day 2 notes at last years TT and still found all the checkpoints:-). However I've only ridden in the NI twice, so I've now finally got myself a GPS system which I've been trying to master. It's a Garmin unit and I use Basecamp for the route planning and worked out how to do multiple checkpoint routes.

I have found it's not great at alerting me on the screen that I'm at a check point and soon just starts directing me to the next one. Seems it would be very easy to miss a checkpoint just by riding past it.

Anyone know how to get it to make more of a fuss at checkpoints? Or is it just easier to just plan each checkpoint run as a separate trip?

Just to mention that I'm also a bit deaf, so often don't hear it, hence why I rely on the screen.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I remember in the past that many GPS units were limited in memory and capacity, so setting a route to each checkpoint was the only option. This is certainly an option and also means you don't have the whole route in one hit if you have issues with it.

You can also set each checkpoint as a Waypoint, but if you've missed that sort of prompt in the past, then yeah, reaching the end of the route might be better

When plotting the route, start with start and finish, then insert a point half way, on the correct road (say an intersection), to "nudge" the route where you want it. Keep inserting extra points until the GPS has no option but to use the roads required. For the most part, the distance is calculated on using the most efficient route, so you're mostly unlikely to do better (sometimes there are gravel shortcuts, but you'll pay in time instead). This is quicker than scrolling through the whole route dropping points on the map.

Also, based on previous riders, if you're on an actual gravel road for any extended period, you're probably not in the right place ... aiming this slightly at a GS that did Waikaremoana (around 100km of gravel) because they missed a turn on one NI1600
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 BMW R1200GSA
    I think one of the best reasons to have individual start to point A then point A to point B etc singularly is a couple of times in the NI roads ares closed , detours in marketed and the unit does not seem to get confused in these instances.
    I use a Garmin Map62 I think it is , no sound just visual in front of me , perhaps it's time for an upgrade but between the Garmin units , the open source ability re maps and Basecamp it all works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    I never put routes into my Garmin - only waypoints. I let the Garmin auto-route on the day. I've found the routing in BaseCamp and the routing in the GPS differs enough to make it problematic, even when using the same map set in each environment.

For the TT event, I figure out my route and which checkpoints I'm going to visit, then I duplicate it all in BaseCamp. I then rename each checkpoint based on the order I'm going to travel to them - 001 for the first checkpoint, 002 for the next and so on.

One the day, at the start of the TT, I call up waypoint (checkpoint) 001 and hit GoTo. At that checkpoint, after I've taken the photo, I select 002 and hit GoTo. Rinse and repeat...

The advantage of this is you only ever see the time/distance to the next checkpoint - it's easier to ride 2,000kms in small chunks and you never see "1731kms to go" on your GPS!!

Also, you can take detours on the way to any checkpoint and the GPS won't have a meltdown (as it would if it was following a set route) - it'll just re-route to the next checkpoint from wherever you happen to be.

I've found this method works well on a simple GPS like mine (a Garmin 60CSx with NZ opengps maps).

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    The advantage of this is you only ever see the time/distance to the next checkpoint - it's easier to ride 2,000kms in small chunks and you never see "1731kms to go" on your GPS!!
    I can confirm the Zumo 660 did not like a 24hr+ route at all... It crashed several times (reboot did the trick) and got happier once it got under 24 hrs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feed back on the GPS stuff.

You've confirmed my suspicions about the multi-checkpoint routes and that I'm best sticking with routes to single checkpoints rather than trying to do the whole thing.

Good idea about adding a number to the front of the points to force the order. Makes a lot of sense, particularly when trying to remember the order of unfamiliar places at 4am.

I've been playing with basecamp and the GPS quite a bit over the last few weeks and you're right wpoll out of the box when you copy a route from Basecamp to the GPS it often changes it. I found the only way to get it to stick to a route was to:
    • Use Gremlin's approach of adding extra waypoints to force the route - I found you can set them to no alert in basecamp which means when they are copied to the Garmin they don't show up but they continue to force the route.
    • The map version needs to be exactly the same on both (this really messed me up for a while)
    • In basecamp settings untick 'Strip shaping points from routes on transfer to device'
    • Fiddle with the average speed settings to even them out more for the three highway settings

Of course I've been testing this on roads I know, the real test will be in the NI - but as someone said in a previous TT thread, if you hit the coast you know it's time to turn around:-)

Bike
    2004 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Ok...

All 4 mystery checkpoints worked out. The one I struggled with turned out to be somewhere I'd ridden past numerous times.

I've even go a very rough route worked out.

My personal challenges for this year will be...
    • Get a higher score than last year
    • Do more km's than last year
    • Visit all 4 mystery checkpoints
    • Do One One (this challenge is your fault Wayne:-))
    I have the same challenges. I was in the top 10 last year, want to improve on that. Seems if you do most of Banks Peninsular you're going to chew up a lot of time. For those with small tanks I've compiled this list of 24 hour petrol stations: http://www.thinman.co.nz/24-hour-petrol-stations/

Might help you all with the planning.

See you next year!
    Skinny

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnylaVeal View Post
    I have the same challenges. I was in the top 10 last year, want to improve on that. Seems if you do most of Banks Peninsular you're going to chew up a lot of time. For those with small tanks I've compiled this list of 24 hour petrol stations: http://www.thinman.co.nz/24-hour-petrol-stations/

Might help you all with the planning.

See you next year!
    Skinny
    Thanks for the link to your petrol stations map I'll be making use of that for my planning. Though as you can see from the attachment I will have a greater range this year:-)

Don't mind Banks as there's some nice twisties to ride to get into the swing of things. It's Godley Head that's my bugbear, I keep adding it in and removing it again. Just hate the idea of starting the TT2000 riding through ruddy Christchurch roadworks. I suspect I'll not make my mind up until 5 minutes before we set off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Petrol.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	324634  

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    Godley (on and off my list) should be slow but steady going as long as you are out of there before the Sumner area school pickup - 2.30ish. I keep thinking that there is a gate that shuts the place up for the night but its 7-8 years since i've been up there so will investigate further.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    ok i tried the Yaldhurst Hotel to Godley Head thing yesterday. 46 minutes to cover the 36k's. It'll be worse during the week. There is a gate locked at 8pm but it's right at the checkpoint.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    That sounds about right. You could spend four or five hours scooping up CP's around Christchurch and still have thousands of kms to go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    That sounds about right. You could spend four or five hours scooping up CP's around Christchurch and still have thousands of kms to go.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Tell me about it....

Bike
    2004 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Night time availability of gas is always one of the biggest tests when trying to ride big distance, be it 24hr 1000 miles, or doing night work for TT (especially with the distances in the South Island at night, with no gas - especially when your European bike doesn't want the cheap stuff).
    Problem solved for gas availability - I put together a Google Map of all 24 hour petrol stations in NZ: http://www.thinman.co.nz/24-hour-petrol-stations/

Bike
    2004 BMW R1200GS
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Thanks for the link to your petrol stations map I'll be making use of that for my planning. Though as you can see from the attachment I will have a greater range this year:-)

Don't mind Banks as there's some nice twisties to ride to get into the swing of things. It's Godley Head that's my bugbear, I keep adding it in and removing it again. Just hate the idea of starting the TT2000 riding through ruddy Christchurch roadworks. I suspect I'll not make my mind up until 5 minutes before we set off.
    Yeah, I was going to do everything on Banks Peninsular but now thinking that I'll leave out Pigeon Bay unless I ride over gravel to Port Levy then Diamond Harbour/Governors Bay. I used to live in Chch and did a lot of riding around those roads, but having local knowledge post earthquakes is a real advantage over my knowledge.

To avoid afternoon traffic that suggests doing Godley Head first as someone suggested. I'll take that advice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thread Information