Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    The Port Levy Pigeon Bay Road is brilliant! But maybe not one to tackle in the middle of the TT2000.

Or is it? The time saved on such a shortcut could be huge...

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    The Port Levy Pigeon Bay Road is brilliant! But maybe not one to tackle in the middle of the TT2000.

Or is it? The time saved on such a shortcut could be huge...
    You're right that is a lovely road and well worth riding just for the experience if you've not ridden it before (and got a suitable bike, which in theory counts me out again...but...:-)). But you need to be very careful on some sections - quite a few blind bends with nowhere to go if something suddenly appears the other way. Fortunately locals tend to treat it with respect but the odd tourist less so.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnylaVeal View Post
    Yeah, I was going to do everything on Banks Peninsular but now thinking that I'll leave out Pigeon Bay unless I ride over gravel to Port Levy then Diamond Harbour/Governors Bay. I used to live in Chch and did a lot of riding around those roads, but having local knowledge post earthquakes is a real advantage over my knowledge.

To avoid afternoon traffic that suggests doing Godley Head first as someone suggested. I'll take that advice.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Local knowledge doesn't really help in Christchurch - it's like one of those kids sliding puzzles where every night someone mixes up all the pieces so the next day you never know which roads will be open, closed or at a standstill:-)

Bike
    he's back !!!
    mystery CP 2 has me buggered certainly looks familliar any hints etc is appreciated #1 & #3 I have #4 is not in my direction
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    mystery CP 2 has me buggered certainly looks familliar any hints etc is appreciated #1 & #3 I have #4 is not in my direction
    I think I found it - M.... Whi.. Brid.. o.. ..73 ??? anyone able to confirm???

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by insomnia01 View Post
    I think I found it - M.... Whi.. Brid.. o.. ..73 ??? anyone able to confirm???
    That's the bunny:-)

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    Affirmative
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    That's the bunny:-)
    Quote Originally Posted by NiggleC View Post
    Affirmative
    thanks guys

Bike
    2016 Suzuki GSX1300R

48hrs or 60?

Got a north and south route sorted; probably heading S as I like the Southland roads but I'll watch what the weather is doing closer to the date. This'll be my 7th and I'm sticking to tradition and working on doing my route choices in 48 hours because for me that's what the TT has been all about. The extra 12 hours makes it very easy to do, but for those who've never done one, it's the ideal opportunity to have a go at planning and executing the ride. 48 hours is going to be a challenge because the three clusters of points are so spread out. Oh well, roll on February.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I can confirm the Zumo 660 did not like a 24hr+ route at all... It crashed several times (reboot did the trick) and got happier once it got under 24 hrs.
    I split my tracks down to each day so had three tracks. My BMW NAV V (which is a Garmin in disguse) took them nicely

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    I split my tracks down to each day so had three tracks. My BMW NAV V (which is a Garmin in disguse) took them nicely
    That was a single ride... 25.5hrs and 1850km, Friday night to Saturday night
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2013 Multistrada

Might pay to re think

Those of you who have planned a route up the East coast from start to Picton, that will take forever to get repaired if Christchurch roads are anything to go by. But this should go without saying.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    I would imagine the majority of us would be heading west over Arthur's after picking off a few on the peninsula. We're heading south afterwards and then up the west to finish picton. Lucky choice I'd say.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    I had looked at going up the east coast anti-clockwise ending up in Dunedin or going clockwise and ending up in Picton. In the end I decided on clockwise which is just as well.

Strangely enough when I was riding back from Picton after the NI1600 last month I slowed right down along the Kaikoura stretch as I was just enjoying looking at the scenery, sea etc. Normally I'm more focused on the road. Even stopped for a bit just to take it in. Pleased I did now.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic View Post
    Those of you who have planned a route up the East coast from start to Picton, that will take forever to get repaired if Christchurch roads are anything to go by. But this should go without saying.
    My issue will be getting from Picton to Christchurch to start. I arrive at 6am and expected 5 hour ride to Christchurch for the start. May have to look at alternative now. The rest of my ride should be okay.

Thread Information