Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Lets face it. SH1 south of Kaikoura is going to be shut for months. The road to Blenheim will be open so perhaps go inland Renwick to St Arnaud and down through Lewis. You may have to take an earlier ferry or hoof it. Racing down to the start is not the best way to begin the event though.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    Lets face it. SH1 south of Kaikoura is going to be shut for months. The road to Blenheim will be open so perhaps go inland Renwick to St Arnaud and down through Lewis. You may have to take an earlier ferry or hoof it. Racing down to the start is not the best way to begin the event though.
    Yeah. I just looked via google maps and it says it is the option. 457km so about 5.5 hour ride. Dont really want the early ferry as I booked the sleeper on the Bluebridge. I only have about a 6 hour ride for Friday at the start of the TT so the distance itself does not bother me having just completed the NI1600 and the 1KC. Just need to ensure I get there in time for the start.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    I'm sure the starting time window could be extended. Say 12 to 2pm.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    In fact I always thought the start window was quite long. Need to look up previous TT's

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    I'm sure the starting time window could be extended. Say 12 to 2pm.

True that...

You can start anytime you like, within reason (or until we finish our pie'n'pint at the Yaldy and bugger off!) and clock your journey time from that start time.

No penalty!

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    There you are. Straight from the horses mouth.

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Diamond Harbour to Pigeon Bay via Port Levy Road? Yes, there's gravel but 40km difference - will it save me time or is the gravel fairly slow in there?

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Diamond Harbour to Pigeon Bay via Port Levy Road? Yes, there's gravel but 40km difference - will it save me time or is the gravel fairly slow in there?
    I want to know the answer to this as well

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    I rode this road last May and it was pretty good. But I was on a Dakar, not a Bandit. There's a lot of sections that are bare clay and it would be a 'mare in the wet. In the dry you should be OK but it'll be slow, and there are many blind corners, so you need to keep a sharp eye on the road ahead.

So? What to do? :-)

Bike
    2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    I rode this road last May and it was pretty good. But I was on a Dakar, not a Bandit. There's a lot of sections that are bare clay and it would be a 'mare in the wet. In the dry you should be OK but it'll be slow, and there are many blind corners, so you need to keep a sharp eye on the road ahead.

Cheers for that

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Exactly...the gravel doesn't worry me - I'm after a time saving...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    Yeah. I just looked via google maps and it says it is the option. 457km so about 5.5 hour ride. Dont really want the early ferry as I booked the sleeper on the Bluebridge. I only have about a 6 hour ride for Friday at the start of the TT so the distance itself does not bother me having just completed the NI1600 and the 1KC. Just need to ensure I get there in time for the start.
    Word out at the moment is the road to Kaikoura from the north will be open in a week to ten days.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    I was over the pigeon bay road today. The gravel on the port levy end is a little slippy for a few k's then gets much easier. Single track so be cautious of locals and tourists. Met one car on a blind corner. Thank god for ABS. The next stretch of gravel I encountered today was at the Taumutu CP. Recently graded so was thick as. Hideous.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    I've ridden that road a couple of times on my Spyder and it was fine despite it not being its natural habitat. I'll be going that way this time if its dry - as wpoll suggested its a different story in the wet, particularly the steep downhill bit with the clay. As whatastoner and wpoll said take it careful with the blind corners, locals tend to be relatively careful but tourists less so.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    I was over the pigeon bay road today. The gravel on the port levy end is a little slippy for a few k's then gets much easier. Single track so be cautious of locals and tourists. Met one car on a blind corner. Thank god for ABS. The next stretch of gravel I encountered today was at the Taumutu CP. Recently graded so was thick as. Hideous.

Thanks for the tip on the Taumutu, will be careful on that one. Not been able to do any rides to checkout CPs and routes this time like I normally would so just hoping I'm not going to have too many surprises. Haven't even had a chance to practice riding while drinking a milkshake:-)

Thread Information