Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    Or you can do an anti clockwise run around the Sth Island Jim.
    Yeah Nah I'll stay North

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    2008 Honda ST 1300
    Blog Entries
    Euro2018
    I see you are based in Hamilton. Why don't you join me for a coffee on Saturday morning to discuss routes. I am basically leaving all the 2000 pointers alone unless they are right on my route. I will only be collecting 2 of those possibly 3.

4 Wheels move the body. 2 Wheels move the soul

Bike
    Niken, Hypermotard, ST1100, F650, Evoke
    Quote Originally Posted by STJim View Post
    Euro2018
    I see you are based in Hamilton. Why don't you join me for a coffee on Saturday morning to discuss routes. I am basically leaving all the 2000 pointers alone unless they are right on my route. I will only be collecting 2 of those possibly 3.
    Sent you a PM.

Is there anyone else here from Hamilton entering either the 1KC or TT2000 who wants to meet up ?

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    To get some training and meet like minded riders, consider the NI1600 or 800km in October.
    Distanceriders.org

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Distanceriders.org.nz

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    For the Sth island, the decision is clockwise or anti clockwise.
    Well I was automatically thinking clockwise but saw your post, had a look, and anti-clockwise actually works better for the sleep stops.

That way also gives me a bit more flexibility to skip checkpoints to make up time if SH1 past Kaikoura is slow. It's supposed to reopen end of 2017 but I'm guessing there will still be a lot of road works in Feb.

Decided to stick to 3 wheels this time just because I've had my seat reupholstered on the Spyder. The foam gave up the ghost on the last TT and never recovered. Had it redone complete with a gel insert so I'll not need to stand on the pegs so much this time:-)

Now I wonder if it's possible to get a Spyder to one of the ADV checkpoints....;-)

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    Jos. Borland Road 10000 point will not be a problem.

Bike
    he's back !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Euro2018 View Post
    Sent you a PM.

Is there anyone else here from Hamilton entering either the 1KC or TT2000 who wants to meet up ?
    I'm in for the 1KC but the TT i'll be at a conference so no go
    I Used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Jos. Borland Road 10000 point will not be a problem.
    I was even thinking of all three South Island ADV ones. After all my trike has belt drive, bottoms out on speedbumps, has racing tires and the back wheel spins on any loose surface. How hard could it be?;-)

I was thinking of trying out Rainbow one weekend just out of curiosity as it's just up the road - not too far get it back when I break something.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

2018 ADV checkpoints...

I'm SO glad I know you are joking, Jos. It's enough to give a rallymaster sleepless nights...!!!

Just for the record (and it's all my own opinion, of course)...

North Island ADV:

Chapter 10: Lake Waikaremoana. This one isn’t too bad, more like Taumutu than One One but it’s a good distance from the seal; 13km of gravel from the south end or 44km of gravel from the north end. Then you have to go back, so double those distances. Or ride right through and travel a total of 57kms on gravel. This is about the same as an earlier TT checkpoint, Mt Aspiring (at Raspberry Flat). Rideable on a street bike with care.

South Island ADV:

Chapter 29: Rainbow Road. Another mild ride although it can be tricky if recently gravelled. 8km via Jacks Pass (rougher) or 13kms via Jollies Pass (longer). Rideable on a street bike with care.

Chapter 42: Skippers Canyon. Only 2.4km of gravel but OH BOY! It’s a steep drop off and very narrow. Can be rutted and has a few blind corners. Street bike not recommended!!

Chapter 48: Von Mavora. 34kms or 36kms (depending on where you leave the seal) of well-groomed gravel, although the last couple of kms can be a bit muddy if wet. Rideable on a street bike with care.

Chapter 49: Borland Road. This one is 28km in and of course then 28km back out - so 56km. This is a true ADV ride. A street bike in here would be a serious mistake….

You have been warned. Or challenged...

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Just as well you mentioned Skippers Canyon as I hadn't noticed the ADV on that one and had it on my route. Definitely off my list now.

Funny enough One One wasn't really a problem for me as it was flat. With Taumutu the gravel was too deep one way but fine the other so I just went in the same way in as I went out. I even managed the dirt road shortcut to Pigeon Bay. The one where I struggled was Papatotara. There was a steep slope with bands across it at one point and my Spyder really struggled there. The back wheel keep spinning and moving sideways, Only way I managed to get up was by sliding back onto the pillion seat to put more weight over the back wheel. Just as well I have long arms.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs up Updated 2018 Score Sheet

Thanks to veldthui the 2018 TT2000 Score Sheet is now automated - tick the checkpoints you want to visit and it'll add up the points for you.

Brilliant. Get the updated score sheet here...

http://www.tt2000.org/rally-resources.html

Bike
    Royal Enfield Himalayan
    I've signed up, but not sure yet whether I want to stick to the North Island or catch the ferry partway through. I do love taking my vehicle on a vehicle, so the boat is always a fun time.

I'm pretty tempted to head up to 90 mile beach too. I love the roads in Northland, and don't get up there often enough, so any excuse.

Is anyone else from Wellington doing the ride? I'm doing it with 2 others, and I'd be keen for a beer/planning session, even if we don't ride together.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Thumbs down Molesworth closed by washout...

Just an FYI for anyone considering the full length of the Molesworth.. it's closed by a washout - until?

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...worth-station/

*edit* DOC now say road may be fixed by mid-December.....

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    Just an FYI for anyone considering the full length of the Molesworth.. it's closed by a washout - until?

http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...worth-station/

*edit* DOC now say road may be fixed by mid-December.....
    Good to see that Acheron Road is open (until it closes for the season on April 8th).

And take note - if you haven't yet registered for the 2018 TT2000 event and are planning to do so, you have less than 10 days left! Get off that fence and get on over to http://www.tt2000.org

Thread Information