Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tt2000 2017

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries

Tt2000 2017

Well the checkpoints have been announced.

Formats changed a bit this year so one start point (Christchurch) and two finish points (Dunedin or Picton). Looks like the checkpoints are in 4 clusters this year in a kind of compass points layout.

Finish times been opened up so there is not the midday deadline on the Sunday. Kind of a shame that one as I had been planning this year on my personal challenge to be a minimum 3,200km's within the 48 hour deadline. However I'm sure I'll find it challenging enough:-)

There's the usual four mystery checkouts this year and they look as fiendish as last year. Recognise one (Mystery 2) and another looks familiar but two others have got me stumped at the moment. Too early to start swapping hints yet though:-)

http://www.tt2000.org/

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Well the checkpoints have been announced.

Formats changed a bit this year so one start point (Christchurch) and two finish points (Dunedin or Picton). Looks like the checkpoints are in 4 clusters this year in a kind of compass points layout.

Finish times been opened up so there is not the midday deadline on the Sunday. Kind of a shame that one as I had been planning this year on my personal challenge to be a minimum 3,200km's within the 48 hour deadline. However I'm sure I'll find it challenging enough:-)

There's the usual four mystery checkouts this year and they look as fiendish as last year. Recognise one (Mystery 2) and another looks familiar but two others have got me stumped at the moment. Too early to start swapping hints yet though:-)

http://www.tt2000.org/
    You will need at least 1 mystery location to get enough points if doing the upper 3 clusters. If not you will be 3,000 short. I found #4 pretty easy but it was way down south so no good to me. The pier looks very familiar though I bet it will be down south as well when I find it.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by veldthui View Post
    You will need at least 1 mystery location to get enough points if doing the upper 3 clusters. If not you will be 3,000 short. I found #4 pretty easy but it was way down south so no good to me. The pier looks very familiar though I bet it will be down south as well when I find it.
    We're not THAT mean!

The Mystery Checkpoints are evenly spread around the island. That's all I'm saying.

The idea is to make this ride fun - not impossible. And it is fun. I know, because I've just done most of it!

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpoll View Post
    We're not THAT mean!

The Mystery Checkpoints are evenly spread around the island. That's all I'm saying.

The idea is to make this ride fun - not impossible. And it is fun. I know, because I've just done most of it!
    You're making it harder for me this year though - after the 2015 TT when I put a stone though my belt which cost me $750 to replace I decided no more gravel roads. This year for 11 of the check points involve riding at least a bit of gravel.

So if I avoid all the gravel ones I've worked out I'll do about 4000km and only getting 53,500 points!

Better find some more of the mystery check points, of course the only one I recognize....has got gravel.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

Pleasing all of the people...

After the 2016 TT event, a few riders commented the event was too easy. An equal number commented it was too hard. Some wanted more mystery checkpoints, some wanted less. A few riders wanted to avoid gravel but some looked for routes that provided more gravel sections.

So in the tried and true tradition of event organisers the world over, we have tried to give everyone a little of what they wanted and in the end we'll probably end up pleasing no one.

I think Mike was pretty good at getting the balance right. I've certainly spent a good long while trying to match the planning skills of the master throttle twister but at the end of the day, I'm just glad we have kept the event alive.

On the checkpoints with only short gravel sections to the actual photo site, near enough is going to be good enough...

And I never imagined a Spyder would attempt One One!

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Don't worry I've given up my "no gravel plan" and will just try and be careful, part of the fun is having a different challenge each year.

Perhaps I need to make up a fully enclosed belt guard similar to the guards Honda C90's used to have:-)

Must admit I'm quite envious of the adventure bikes this time because they'll have a lot of nice little routes to take.

....funny enough One One is on my possible list but beginning to think that may be a bad idea:-)

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Well I will be buggered. Found #3 (the pier) along my path so have a 1,000 points to spare now with hitting everything in the upper 3 clusters. Saturday will be a long day. Thought the pier looked familiar but it was not where I thought it was and took many hours searching with google maps.

Pretty sure I have #2 as well now. Was rather easy to find given most rail lines are shut down in the South Island. Just #1 left to find but guessing that is in the Southern half.

Bike
    1988 xrv650
    So the pier would be in the Northern group. It does look familiar, will have to ask my Marlborough Sounds riding buddy to have a look see. The one that's teasing me is Number 4.

Bike
    BMW R1200RT 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whatastoner View Post
    So the pier would be in the Northern group. It does look familiar, will have to ask my Marlborough Sounds riding buddy to have a look see. The one that's teasing me is Number 4.
    Yes there does not appear to be any google images of it but I missed it 12 times at work before I got it.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Yes there does not appear to be any google images of it but I missed it 12 times at work before I got it.
    It IS there, 250 meters north Heading towards Picton from Tanglewoods bed and breakfast. First corner even ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Ok, as we seem to already at the giving hints stage...I'll start off being slightly obscure.

Mystery 2:
    - It's not in the east cluster, but equally not in the west.
    - The colour of the bridge is important
    - You can't see it on Google street view but it is in one of those Google 'photo spheres'.

Bike
    2008 Yamaha FZ1
    I love this event - last year was our first. We did the minimum, and photographed all our checkpoints in daylight.
    This year is ... a bit different. I can see how much planning has gone in though - well done.

I've got all four Mysteries sorted now, and can use of three of them.
    Made a quick plan, heading west and south, and it looks do-able, just. A long 2nd day though (aren't they always).
    The gravel sections add another dimension, especially with a pillion, but they're mostly short sections.
    Actually the Sunday is going to be quite full on for us as well, with the checkpoints well spread.
    Still deciding which bike to use ...

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    What's doing the TT2000 like?
    whats involved in getting prepared?

thinking about rider related answers

going to see if I can figure out the course even if I am unable to do it (time)
    looks like fun.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    What's doing the TT2000 like?
    whats involved in getting prepared?

thinking about rider related answers

going to see if I can figure out the course even if I am unable to do it (time)
    looks like fun.
    What's doing TT2000 like?
    The TT2000 is the most fun you can have on a bike (or trike) in a weekend.
    Its for people who have a motorbike to ride it and are happiest in that perfect state of oneness with bike, road and landscape.
    It's spending, surprisingly enjoyable, hours of planning and tweaking the route, stops etc (not to mention tracking down the mystery checkpoints).
    The formats loose enough that, though there's the set checkpoints and targets, you can also have your own.
    You often ride solo but at many of the checkpoints you meet other riders and chat, or wave as you see others riding the other way. An unusual fraternity.

What's involved in getting prepared?
    Route planning is the obvious one, including stops - for me petrol stops are a big issue because my tank is stupidly small for this sort of work.
    Doing practice rides with checkpoints is a must. Make sure some of these are with unfamiliar roads.
    It's surprising how much time you loose at checkpoints if your not careful and it really adds up, think formula 1 pit team:-)
    Also the practice rides give you a chance to find out what works and what doesn't e.g. I modified my tank bag to make changing notes much easier.
    Obviously your bike needs to be in good working order.

My only warning is - once you've done one you'll be addicted.

Bike
    2011, Can-am Spyder RS
    Blog Entries
    Ok...

All 4 mystery checkpoints worked out. The one I struggled with turned out to be somewhere I'd ridden past numerous times.

I've even go a very rough route worked out.

My personal challenges for this year will be...
    • Get a higher score than last year
    • Do more km's than last year
    • Visit all 4 mystery checkpoints
    • Do One One (this challenge is your fault Wayne:-))

Thread Information