Thread: W650-W800 mods

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob

W650-W800 mods

I really like seeing the W650 left unmolested being only made from 1999 until about 2006 maybe 07 then superseded by the W800.

But sometimes I see mods that really appeal, like these scrambler type bikes that look like there from a long past era.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14232635_1509013592445396_3310238994180981694_n[1].jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	324174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14202738_1509013615778727_6845532137426837702_n[2].jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	324175

Bike
    CB1300
    I somewhat agree with the unmolested bit... but then I see some that have been done to properly and I see them moor as a platform than a bike.

I rode an unmolested one a few times and a mildly molested once.
    They could have done with:
    Rims that were round and true instead of slightly oval and with a slight wander. This is true for both I have ridden.
    Flatter bars, a taste and a handling thing.
    Better suspenders. Classic look is no excuse for shoddy shocks.

That said I'd take an unmolested one for a ride any day I'm not a hurry.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I somewhat agree with the unmolested bit... but then I see some that have been done to properly and I see them moor as a platform than a bike.

I rode an unmolested one a few times and a mildly molested once.
    They could have done with:
    Rims that were round and true instead of slightly oval and with a slight wander. This is true for both I have ridden.
    Flatter bars, a taste and a handling thing.
    Better suspenders. Classic look is no excuse for shoddy shocks.

That said I'd take an unmolested one for a ride any day I'm not a hurry.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

I had not heard about the rim issue Big Dog, I might ask about it on the W650 site, I havnt experienced it myself, agree on the suspension, but it is ok for us dottery old buggers that plod along, I think the original ribbed front tyre leaves a lot to be desired on our many uneven road surfaces.

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    I had not heard about the rim issue Big Dog, I might ask about it on the W650 site, I havnt experienced it myself, agree on the suspension, but it is ok for us dottery old buggers that plod along, I think the original ribbed front tyre leaves a lot to be desired on our many uneven road surfaces.
    As a 150kg rider it is the small refinements.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'm a modder - every bike I have owned has been modified in some manner to suit me, be it bars, grips, pipes or more extreme elements. It's a personal thing - the manufacturer is offering me a canvas to personalize. Having said that shit the bed I've also seen some god-awful modifications done to bikes!

Anyway - W650/800 - fantastic base to personalise - I like that scrambler. There are loads of modded W's out there, some beautiful work and desirable rides.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    I'm a modder - every bike I have owned has been modified in some manner to suit me, be it bars, grips, pipes or more extreme elements. It's a personal thing - the manufacturer is offering me a canvas to personalize. Having said that shit the bed I've also seen some god-awful modifications done to bikes!

Anyway - W650/800 - fantastic base to personalise - I like that scrambler. There are loads of modded W's out there, some beautiful work and desirable rides.

I envy you guys with the skills and fortitude to modify and often improve a motorcycle, sadly some of us have no idea on how to improve what we ride or if we try we usually fuck it.

Much of what I see, "in my opinion" comes down to the years of experience spent racing/riding bikes/sidecars etc, so you have developed alot of knowledge on how a bike/hack should actually handle or behave.

Bike
    VT1100C 1993 /DRZ400E
    I do like to keep bikes looking original .... ish butt the first thing I always do is up spec the suspension, its nice to know if you hit rough ground you have the suspension to soak it up

But bikes have a purpose and some mods are for practical reasons and I try to make those look good but still in the style of the bike.

I do like the looks of the scramblers and flat track racer styles and they are still very practical

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I do like to keep bikes looking original .... ish butt the first thing I always do is up spec the suspension, its nice to know if you hit rough ground you have the suspension to soak it up

But bikes have a purpose and some mods are for practical reasons and I try to make those look good but still in the style of the bike.

I do like the looks of the scramblers and flat track racer styles and they are still very practical

Yes, I have seen your improvements and think you are one clever lad, sadly some of us struggle to bang in a nail, never mind touching something with a weird sounding name like torque wrench.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    4 first minor things that need to be up to specs immediately

Loud horn
    Heated grips
    handlebar that "fits"
    Comfy seat.
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post
    4 first minor things that need to be up to specs immediately

Loud horn
    Heated grips
    handlebar that "fits"
    Comfy seat.
    bright lights

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    R1150 minor mods.
    Wee givi screen....bent up to reflect wind better and painted black.
    Heed crashbars.
    Footpeg extensions to create more legroom.
    Full lugagage and topbox
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161021_154815.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	916.8 KB 
ID:	325233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161021_154838.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	873.9 KB 
ID:	325234  
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information