Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scooter not running properly

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Sounds like your back at getting someone to look at your carb.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    which i ticked off in post #4, again in #10

Bike
    CB1300
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    which i ticked off in post #4, again in #10
    Never said you didn't. But there are some basics to check of before pulling the carb... especially as you damn near need to dismantle the scooter to get the carb on most of them... and carbs is something I pay for these days.
    It usually works out cheaper than me attempting anything that small with hands this big.

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    Never said you didn't. But there are some basics to check of before pulling the carb
    pretty sure our OP is as basic as they come...

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    My daughter had one for a postie bike and it had similar problems.

As already mentioned, check the exhaust for coking up. That did happen to hers. Holes were drilled and I forget how but someone in an effort to fix it caused flame about two metres long to shoot out of the pipe and singed his face. You don't want to do that.

Also, and probably likely, is water in the tank. That was an ongoing issue because of something the way the tank was designed or positioned. They did fix it eventually somehow and off the top of my head I think isopropyl alcohol was involved.

Good wee bike though. Handled everything Queenstown could throw at it for the two or three years she used it on the run.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    White smoke means a new Pope has been elected .... are you Catholic ..???

... But there are some basics to check of before pulling the carb...

Sent from Tapatalk. DYAC
    Yep ... like replace the spark plug. Even if it "looks" fine. 2 strokes kill and maim plugs for little rhyme or reason (and can it in a very short time of running)

Check the fuel/oil ratio mixture is correct (and auto mix is still working) Too much or too little oil is not good.

As previously stated ... check there is no water/crap in the tank (possible cause of white smoke). Flush all lines and start with fresh.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    My daughter had one for a postie bike and it had similar problems.

As already mentioned, check the exhaust for coking up. That did happen to hers. Holes were drilled and I forget how but someone in an effort to fix it caused flame about two metres long to shoot out of the pipe and singed his face. You don't want to do that.

Also, and probably likely, is water in the tank. That was an ongoing issue because of something the way the tank was designed or positioned. They did fix it eventually somehow and off the top of my head I think isopropyl alcohol was involved.

Good wee bike though. Handled everything Queenstown could throw at it for the two or three years she used it on the run.
    sounds good.

always go down to basics first:

Put in a brandnew sparkplug,

use new fuel.

good chance that your problems will be gone...
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    White smoke means a new Pope has been elected .... are you Catholic ..???

Yep ... like replace the spark plug. Even if it "looks" fine. 2 strokes kill and maim plugs for little rhyme or reason (and can it in a very short time of running)

Check the fuel/oil ratio mixture is correct (and auto mix is still working) Too much or too little oil is not good.

As previously stated ... check there is no water/crap in the tank (possible cause of white smoke). Flush all lines and start with fresh.
    Yeap rf900 wouldn't start after 3 years sitting. stale fuel... flushed full fuel system cleaned carb and was backfiring and wouldn't run... so it had fuel and had spark.. (hence the backfire) ... pulled the plugs and all looked fine but were wet... bad fuel fowled them... go spend 30 bucks on plugs and it fired right up.

I'd certainly be spending $7 on a plug before trying to de-pepsi an exhaust.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    +1 on the plug.

Took a couple of years and hundreds of servicing dollars to get my bike running perfectly and the very last significant improvement was replacing the 'awesome' iridium plugs with bog standard ones. Hell of a difference.
    Grow older but never grow up

Thread Information