Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Cape Reinga Ride

Bike
    Its a Boat

2017 Cape Reinga Ride

Just an Idea at this very early stage. If there is enough interest on here and FB I will make it happen.

Some basic points on how the ride goes for those who have not been on any of the three prior rides.

: Learner friendly ride, group three primarily is for learner/newer but comfortable at 100 kph is a requirement.
    : Looking to do the ride Feb/March 2017.
    : 24 people maximum.
    : It’s over three days Friday/Saturday/Sunday
    : Friday ride up, Saturday ride to the Cape and back, Sunday ride home.
    : Three separate riding groups consisting of eight bikes in each group.
    : Learner friendly ride, group three primarily is for learners but comfortable at 100 kph is a requirement.
    : Group one will usually peel off at different stages to do other roads. Paparoa/Oakliegh. Matauri bay Loop and some will do a bit of Ninety Mile beach on the Saturday. As long as they know the Lunch stop times it's all good.
    : Stay at Coopers Beach (Motel) Eight rooms so there is sharing to consider.
    : Room one sleeps six so normally for the single boys.
    : Another room sleeps 4-5 so is good for the single girls.
    : There is room for tents if that’s your thing.
    : An all-inclusive per person price will be settled on (*Food included)

*Food.
    In the past the hosts have put on two cooked breakfasts and two hot evening meals, which was included in the per person price. Lunches you pay for separately, Lunch stops are arranged prior to the ride date. Normally Paihia on Friday and Pukenui on Saturday on the way back from the Cape and either Waipu or Mangawhai on the way back.
    Not sure about the breakfasts/tea this time, I have not been in contact with the Motel as yet about it. One other ride we did, we got $10 off everyone and that feed 23 people Pizza for tea and enough food for a decent fry up the next morning (Two Meals) If we have to fend for ourselves this time, the option is to and get Fish and Chips and whatever else they may have in Coopers Beach/Cable Bay for the second night. Breakfasts will be at Pukenui on the Saturday and Kerikeri on the Sunday.

Ball Park Costs.
    We will endeavor to keep the cost per person under $200.

18 Probables so far.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Count me in if I can join at Paihia and leave at Waipu/Mangawhai,being local and all that

Bike
    Its a Boat
    All good with that, we always get one or two day riders from up that way but if you're going to stay even better.
    There are 14 interested on FB so far, all ex KBers including one expat who will be here at that time and one returning German fulla who was on the last trip.
    Looking like a March ride, several of the interested are date dependent. February proving to be a busy month for some including us.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    All good with that, we always get one or two day riders from up that way but if you're going to stay even better.
    There are 12 interested on FB so far, all ex KBers including one expat who will be here at that time and one returning German fulla who was on the last trip.
    Looking like a March ride, several of the interested are date dependent. February proving to be a busy month for some including us.
    I would be pretty disappointed if we could not catch up with you both. What FB page are you talking about?
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I would be pretty disappointed if we could not catch up with you both. What FB page are you talking about?
    Thirty/30 is our place of choice in Paihia for lunch on the Friday, they did and amazing job last time with getting the food out pretty much all together. That's because they were aware of the numbers turning up and what time. They had all the food prep done, burger buns at the ready...

Facebook page is our personal one, I will add you if you PM me your last name. I know where you live/your first name and birth date..

Bike
    2011 BMW F650GS
    And to confirm that I still lurk around the fringes of this place from time to time - if I'm around when you all come up then I'll be along to ride/assist/whatever. Don't do facebook at all so you'll have to use something else to keep me up to date.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Whats this "catch up" Mark-A couple of nights at Coopers would be good fun,show these guys some Northern hospitality.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
    Whats this "catch up" Mark-A couple of nights at Coopers would be good fun,show these guys some Northern hospitality.
    One year there was a guitar/enough alcohol to help you sing songs you don't know and a fire on the beach... It's the stories and the people that make the weekend.
    Introverts need not apply

On the road though, we always ride in separate groups for safety reasons and the respect shown for everyone and by everyone is enormous.
    Mark Waters from up that way always puts in an appearance starting at Whangarie on the Friday.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    And to confirm that I still lurk around the fringes of this place from time to time - if I'm around when you all come up then I'll be along to ride/assist/whatever. Don't do facebook at all so you'll have to use something else to keep me up to date.
    We could enter into correspondence. Pretty sure I still have a couple of stamps in me wallet.

BK, I have previously been a party to one of these gang runs but I'm not deterred to meet up again.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    Once I have everything (well most) things set in place Mark I will start a new thread with the ride details in the first post as per the other rides.
    Should actually make Te Kao a compulsory stop for one of those world famous Ice creams.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Mark me down for group one.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Mark me down for group one.
    NO.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I'd be interested (I like icecream), probably look at camping rather than a room.

Under $200 is fine, I just spent $1045 to register both my bikes so less than two hundy seems like not much money in comparison.

Just need to know the date once that is decided and I can check to make sure I can have the Friday off work.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    I'd be interested (I like icecream), probably look at camping rather than a room.

Under $200 is fine, I just spent $1045 to register both my bikes so less than two hundy seems like not much money in comparison.

Just need to know the date once that is decided and I can check to make sure I can have the Friday off work.
    If you fancy some time on 90 Mile beach the DR may seem the bike of choice

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Also, don't forget to bring a hat, it can get quite sunny up there .
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Thread Information