Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Any lady riders still on this site?

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by hokckeyholic View Post
    I'm new to riding, pretty keen to see if there's any groups around? Obviously NASS has been suggested which I'll have a look at, but any other suggestionsuggestions?

Honestly, for a beginner, I wouldn't recommend NASS. They ride unnecessarily aggressively and don't focus of safe riding technique.

That being said, if that's the sort of thing you are into, then by all means, head along, but be warned, there is quite a lot of testosterone and "showmanship" flying around at the meet ups for NASS .

I would be keen to ride with a few learners who want a slow pace, no pressure ride.

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pound View Post
    Honestly, for a beginner, I wouldn't recommend NASS. They ride unnecessarily aggressively and don't focus of safe riding technique.

That being said, if that's the sort of thing you are into, then by all means, head along, but be warned, there is quite a lot of testosterone and "showmanship" flying around at the meet ups for NASS .

I would be keen to ride with a few learners who want a slow pace, no pressure ride.
    Yup honestly doesn't sound like something I'd be too keen on, hearing that...

And yeah I would too

Bike
    Its a Boat

I tagged onto one ride years ago and surprised at the lack of 'street skill' shown. There was no structure what so ever on the ride, it was just like the several previous group rides I had been on...''here is where will are going/see ya there''. For a learner based ride, that is unacceptable. That is one reason why a few of us started learner friendly rides once a month. I my opinion, new riders get a lot more out of riding with experienced riders in a safe/structured environment rather than ride around markers in a car park for an hour then fuck off for a drink and a burger somewhere afterwards.

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maha View Post
    I tagged onto one ride years ago and surprised at the lack of 'street skill' shown. There was no structure what so ever on the ride, it was just like the several previous group rides I had been on...''here is where will are going/see ya there''. For a learner based ride, that is unacceptable. That is one reason why a few of us started learner friendly rides once a month. I my opinion, new riders get a lot more out of riding with experienced riders in a safe/structured environment rather than ride around markers in a car park for an hour then fuck off for a drink and a burger somewhere afterwards.
    Couldn't agree more Maha.

I too went along to one of these 2 months back, and it's just as you say.

The whole "Lets go to the pub afterwards" made absolutely no sense to me.......

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    Are those learner rides still going?
    And yeah, obviously that would be a lot better. It seems to me that a lot of people who get into riding tend to do it because of a friend who already ride, but unfortunately that wasn't really the case for me.

On another note, anyone know anything about the mentoring programme and if it's still running?

Bike
    W650 sidecar & HD Fat Bob
    Good post Maha.
    I think riding with not only experienced riders, but those who can leave their egos at home would be beneficial for many of us.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Couldn't agree more Maha.

I too went along to one of these 2 months back, and it's just as you say.

The whole "Lets go to the pub afterwards" made absolutely no sense to me.......
    Some can't help themselves when it comes to ''Look how good I think I am at this riding lark''...leaving the new riders a tad bemused.
    And yeah, obviously that would be a lot better. It seems to me that a lot of people who get into riding tend to do it because of a friend who already ride, but unfortunately that wasn't really the case for me.

On another note, anyone know anything about the mentoring programme and if it's still running?
    Unfortunately no the rides no longer happen. But a number of NASS/SASS attendees use to turn up...then we progressed into some over night and three day rides, which also no longer happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by old slider View Post
    Good post Maha.
    I think riding with not only experienced riders, but those who can leave their egos at home would be beneficial for many of us.

Yip our ride policy was 'No Hero's No ego's... We Just Don't Care'.

Bike
    Baby Gixxer
    Blog Entries

South Auckland Street Skills is great. I haven't been on a ride with them for ages; kinda gotten really really busy, but they were very helpful. Would meet up do some riding technique exercises e.g. practicing emergency stops etc. in a quiet car park, then go for a pootle together, end up at the pub (although not all of us drank grog!) Learner friendly. But it is out souf.
    NOT to be confused with South Auckland Thursday Night Ride.
    I lahk to moove eet moove eet...

Katman to steveb64
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I'd hate to ever have to admit that my arse had been owned by a Princess.

Bike
    2007 kawasaki gpx250
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    South Auckland Street Skills is great. I haven't been on a ride with them for ages; kinda gotten really really busy, but they were very helpful. Would meet up do some riding technique exercises e.g. practicing emergency stops etc. in a quiet car park, then go for a pootle together, end up at the pub (although not all of us drank grog!) Learner friendly. But it is out souf.
    NOT to be confused with South Auckland Thursday Night Ride.
    I love out southish haha so that's fine. When are they?

Bike
    Its a Boat
    I love out southish haha so that's fine. When are they?
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...-Street-Skills

Bike
    Honda CBR 600, Harley 1200 Custom
    Hi

I attend SASS every Tuesday (unless it is raining). We have some regulars like PrincessBandit and Caseye turning up occasionally. Always great to catch up.

The aim with SASS is to improve your skills. So no matter how long you have been riding, you need to keep practising. Rossi and all the riders of MotoGP or Superbike keep riding the same circuits but each day they are out there practising. Now I have no plan on being Rossi but I want to ride and enjoy my mototrbike as long as possible so I need to keep on top of the game. My not-so-secret aim to to be riding my motorbike on my 90th birthday. At this stage, that is acheivable

SASS is just like PrincessBandit said - we do slow exercises in a car park (MItre 10 at Southgate at the moment). Something different each night. Example - doing circles and then going for a pootle . The corners become so much easier as you work out it is all in your head. We travel at about 80 k on the back country roads so that we can learn and have fun. My philosophy is you wont learn much if you aren't having fun and you can't learn anything if you are too busy trying to keep up or worried about getting lost. So we try to remove some of the threats.
    We have a RIC (leader) who has to think of what he/she is dragging the rest of the group into. Hence why at some intersections we will wait till there is a good gap so we can all make the turn. Then we have a TEC (Tail end charlie) who has to be slightly aggressive when we get vehicles wanting to travel faster than what we are doing. We will also pull over in safe places to let traffic pass. This keeps the pressure off those in between who can then concentrate on their skills. And for those of us who are slighlty more skilled I recommend playing with the corners by over exaggerating the turn (safely of course). We also operate with respect for all road users.
    This might seem like a nana group but there is a lot of skill hiding amongst the group to keep everyone safe.
    We do end up at a pub - BRONCOS. They do food and beverages. We have one rider who has a handle of flat white - triple shot. I tend to have a hot chocolate but we are not judgemental about what you may drink or eat. And we talk. I mean we talk and talk and talk about bikes. How the ride went. What happened to us during the week. Tyres and pressures. How to do mods. Where the best after-market parts are. etc etc etc.
    We gather at the Takanini Z Station on the corner of Taka St and Great South Road just south of the Takanini Off Ramps. We leave at 7 pm. I get there earlier to have a healthy dinner of either a pie from Z or burger from Burger King.
    All egos are left behind and can be collected from their homes after the evening has finished.
    I hope this gives the reader an idea of what SASS is. The thread is so old that I cannot update the front page anymore. I dont want to start a new one as there is history.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sis View Post
    Hi

I attend SASS every Tuesday (unless it is raining). .................................................s there is history.
    That is clever. A post so long men wont read it. There is likely a hidden girl message in there somewhere.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    None yet

Female rider

I hope to be soon ! Starting reaserch to buy my first bike will be looking to join a group in the West Auckland /Central area .

Bike
    2009 CBR1000RR
    Just don't go to "NASS" (North Auckland Street Skills) whatever you do.

It's just one big sausage fest with overconfident and cocky riders.

Instead, try to meet up with some of the older, more experienced riders on here (ADV, touring, dual sport riders, commuters etc).

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Just don't go to "NASS" (North Auckland Street Skills) whatever you do.

It's just one big sausage fest with overconfident and cocky riders.

Instead, try to meet up with some of the older, more experienced riders on here (ADV, touring, dual sport riders, commuters etc).
    Thats a shame, it used to be a good thing. I know SASS is not like that even though I dont attend these days as too busy. Sis runs a tight ship in that regard. She doesnt put up with that.

Plenty of good rides about but you just have to look. If you are looking for learning then IAM is a great place. Also heaps of good ones on FB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Thread Information