Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone recommend a decent Auckland lawyer

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa

Can anyone recommend a decent Auckland lawyer

I'm trying to find a decent lawyer for advice. Not to "get me off" - I did it. I just want to pay one for a consult. I'll probably defend myself.

I'm in court for exceeding 100. I'm not being charged with anything else. I was doing 164 on a motorway.

Apart from 0800 GET ME OUT and 0800 OK2DRIVE - Yeah, you guys sound legit - anyone know anyone reputable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike
    a red heap
    If that's all you are being charged with, and you aren't trying to get off, don't bother getting a lawyer, it won't change the outcome.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    If that's all you are being charged with, and you aren't trying to get off, don't bother getting a lawyer, it won't change the outcome.
    Ditto, take it and smile.....

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...decent lawyer...oxymoron for sure...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The court system is a big money go round designed to keep the various players in the manner to which they have become accustomed. By hiring a lawyer you indicate to the judge that you are prepared to play the game.

Waaaay back I had a ticket for "Careless use", I checked the paper to see what the going rate for that was and was concerned to see that people were losing their licence. I didn't want to lose mine - lawyer time. The day I went up I kept my licence, the others lost theirs.

Your circumstances are different, how lucky do you feel?

How you find out who the effective lawyers in your area are? I don't know. Asking here should be a start.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    TF125
    Gerry Skinner. Old school, doesn't fuck about and doesn't want to rape your wallet -> http://www.thodeutting.com/who-we-are

Bike
    bandit
    164 ks and you are not walking?

The only time I used a lawyer was when I was charged with reckless driving (after doing a runner one night) - I was looking at 12 months suspension - the lawyer got me six months. Money well spent.

It's hard to say in this case as the upper limit for speeding fines is 50ks over and you were 64 ks over ... a hard nosed judge may pull your licence ... or maybe just fine you ...

Did the popo say why he only gave you "exceeding 100kph? It can also be a bit of a holding one ... while they decide if they want to change it ...

I'd at least talk to a lawyer ..
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyk5614 View Post
    I'm trying to find a decent lawyer for advice. Not to "get me off"

Usually for good representation that process works the opposite way around.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Get a lawyer any lawyer but preferably one that does traffic stuff often. Think of them as more a translator, legalese is a separate language to English.
    Ive seen it myself (a prosecutor reading out evidence instead of having the witness who is there say it) and heard from colleagues whove come from rougher backgrounds that police often make procedural errors in court, you might get lucky if you have a savvy lawyer to notice these things.
    And a lawyer will now what a reasonable penalty is too.
    A mate of mine had over 300 driving (logbbok and speed) infringements relating to several charges thrown out as hearsay due to way evidence presented. He did have a pretty damn good expensive lawyer tho.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Predator
    Have you:

1. sold the bike yet?
    2. requested and reviewed the Police's evidence against you?

I guess you want to talk to a lawyer so they can:

• tell you what punishment you're likely up for?
    • distill all of their knowledge and experience into what you might be able to say in the few minutes you have when representing yourself?

If your answers to Q1 & Q2 are no, I'd do those things or get busy practicing your remorseful face.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    Agreed. I used a lawyer for a dangerous speed ticket. He got up and repeated my exact words to the judge, charged me $450 while the judge borrowed my license for 9 months and took $500 from my wallet.

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r

how often do you get pulled over to show your licence?

ever?

so what's the problem?
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post

ever?

so what's the problem?
    Waaaaay more than I would like to

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by awayatc View Post

ever?

so what's the problem?
    Well, a cop turned up on my doorstep last week to ask why my bike had been seen around Auckland. My response: "Because my mate has it, hence my being here and the bike not being here."

But yes, I'm not going to ride .... The cop pointed out that they'd take my liquor license if they caught me riding. I don't doubt it....

Bike
    2015 GSX1300R Hayabusa
    Quote Originally Posted by local View Post
    Have you:

1. sold the bike yet?
    2. requested and reviewed the Police's evidence against you?

I guess you want to talk to a lawyer so they can:

• tell you what punishment you're likely up for?
    • distill all of their knowledge and experience into what you might be able to say in the few minutes you have when representing yourself?

If your answers to Q1 & Q2 are no, I'd do those things or get busy practicing your remorseful face.
    Yup - the bike will be sold by the time I'm in court.

I just want a decent lawyer for a consult. I will probably defend myself but I'd like them to say yay or nay to what I'm gonna say. Unless of course, they go "there isn't a thread of evidence - you're nuts to plead guilty".

Thread Information