Thread: XVS 1100 Yammy thoughts?

Bike
    06 Honda 919-79 T140E Triumph 96 Guzzi

XVS 1100 Yammy thoughts?

As i'm the shortest motorcyclist in New Zealand have been eyeing one of these up for everyday open road commute to touring use.

Anyone got one and got good revelations good or bad that may decide me against or convince to getting one? Have one to test ride here to see for myself but you can't beat caviat emptor from owners.

Queries...
    They look low, do they grind on corners?
    Expected gas milage?
    Weight/balance at stand still?

TIA for any assistance

Kinda helpful ... theoldbloke.homestead.com/yamaha-xvs1100.html
    "If you ever need anything please don’t hesitate to ask someone else first.”

Anyhoo don't forget to add to calendar 19th May, 27th July, and 31 August.
    World whisky day, International whisky day, and Scotch whisky day.

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    Very easy to ride with all the weight low down but yes, they do grind on corners which is a real pain in the arse. I bought one new but traded it after 3 months because of this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Yeah some owners comments via web sites, seat is bad replace it, fit a floorboard re-location kit to stop cornering grinds, oil filter re-location kit, gas cap issue (easy fix), carb vent issue (easy fix), lacks a 6th gear, and for more power many options out there (pod kit and 2-1 zorst). Reliability looks good.

Bike
    Roadstar 1600 & Royal Star Venture
    I'd also seriously consider the original VX1100 Virago, IF you can stand the 'karate chopped in the middle' look of the bike.

They come up on tardme often, and with reasonable mileages. The Virago 1100 was my first ever V twin in the late/mid 1980's. Going from a 1000cc Kwaka it took time ti get used to the 'moped power'... Once after a few months I got into the groove of torque surfing, rather than revving the nuts off it.. It was actually a pretty competent bike over distances. There were many tests pitting cruisers against each other, and the 'tarts boudoir' Virago constantly cleaned out the competition for performance and handling, apart from the Guzzi California's {hardly surprising as the Cali 1100 was voted 'best Harley' by a couple of US 'heavy duty" bike mags}.

quote:
    The Yamaha XVS1100's big V-twin is softly tuned offering just 62bhp. Torque is a more respectable 63ftlb. There’s enough low down poke to keep the Yamaha XVS1100 nippy around town but if you want to go quick it needs revving – and can vibrate. While the engine produced the same power when in the 1100 Virago, weight is up 40kg which dulls the performance somewhat.

Then, Yamaha's venerable Virago easily seduces me with its narrow, close-coupled feel, and class-crushing horsepower. In this company, it is far and away the sportiest, fastest, most responsive player. That may not rate high on everyone's priority list. But I'm not prepared to give up the inherent benefits of speed and maneuverability a motorcycle offers in traffic, nor the unbridled delight of swinging through corners with some enthusiasm, just to make a styling statement. (But one look at the gaudy, overdone splashing of chrome geegaws all over the Virago would tell you that.) The high but narrow handlebar gives fine control into and out of corners, throttle response is lively, and the Yamaha does pretty much whatever you ask of it -- just like a modern motorcycle should. That's what catches my eye.

this one looks to be well set up and low K's

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1168223080.htm
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    Mate had a 750 XV ( not a Virago but same-same) and apart from the starter noise it went around the clock 3 times without a hitch. He sold it and got an XV 1100 and hated it and now rides a XJR 12 ( which I like apart from the seat height).

May well stick to my Hornet yet as it is a great all rounder with a bigger front sprocket it still has plenty of get up and go. The seat height is the main issue, I have already carved 40mm out of it's throne, may look at a lowering kit.

Maybe I need one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-25-most-unimaginable-medieval-torture-devices-329791.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	324723, the torture machine would be good too.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by granstar View Post
    Mate had a 750 XV ( not a Virago but same-same) and apart from the starter noise it went around the clock 3 times without a hitch. He sold it and got an XV 1100 and hated it and now rides a XJR 12 ( which I like apart from the seat height).

May well stick to my Hornet yet as it is a great all rounder with a bigger front sprocket it still has plenty of get up and go. The seat height is the main issue, I have already carved 40mm out of it's throne, may look at a lowering kit.

Maybe I need one of these Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the-25-most-unimaginable-medieval-torture-devices-329791.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	324723, the torture machine would be good too.
    I think they did a 900/1000cc version of the original XV with the monoshock rear end.... motor is the same though apart from CC in the 750/900/1000/1100 versions.

What did your mate 'hate' about the 1100? I found it a reasonable machine, and certainly far better than the Evo Sportsters HD started producing back then.
    If the road to hell is paved with good intentions; and a man is judged by his deeds and his actions, why say it's the thought that counts? -GrayWolf

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    The Yamaha XVS1100's big V-twin is softly tuned offering just 62bhp. Torque is a more respectable 63ftlb.

that's just sad from a big twin

A stock 1200 HD sporty will punch out ten more ftlb. Add a exhaust/inlet kit .......

They did say softly tuned .....

Probably last forever though

Bike
    HD Roadster is looking attractive, dare I say that.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    I always liked a ride on these beasts ...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/moto...1160566900.htm
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    The Yamaha XVS1100's big V-twin is softly tuned offering just 62bhp. Torque is a more respectable 63ftlb.

that's just sad from a big twin

A stock 1200 HD sporty will punch out ten more ftlb. Add a exhaust/inlet kit .......

They did say softly tuned .....

Probably last forever though
    You've got to wind the clock back 30yrs, the Virago 1100 was quicker than the Evo 1100 sporty I can assure you of that fact. It's useless comparing an engine designed that long ago with the modern HD motor.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayWolf View Post
    You've got to wind the clock back 30yrs, the Virago 1100 was quicker than the Evo 1100 sporty I can assure you of that fact. It's useless comparing an engine designed that long ago with the modern HD motor.
    Very True - I did not count that in. High Tech Harley ....

Still - the V1100 must be ripe for a turbo or supercharger adaption.....

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...I put some Keihins that were T500 standard carbs onto my XV750 and chopped some straight pipe to the required length , straight off the standard header. I figured the length of both pipes with a piece of string. After both pipes were relative to the length of string, I cut the pipes to these lengths. I then proceeded to test the XV750 motorcycle to see if it would work. It did work, exceedingly well in fact, but very slow on the clutch...cut an inch off both pipes...clutch, gas, not enough...an inch more off both pipes...getting big forward shift off clutch...one inch more, wheel 4 to 6 inches off ground...gas weld a half inch back onto both pipes...go racing...toughest V2 engine you could try and destroy... (disclaimer)...that is only my experience...the XV750 had a 16 inch back wheel but the 18inch rear from the similar year (a something else Yamaha 400) with the shaft drive, bolted straight in, so I had a couple of gearing options...I would have far preferred a HD for what I wanted but the XV was as good a ring in, and probably tougher...

Bike
    Yeah was spoilt a bit with owning a couple of shafties, an 81 and an 82 XJ 750 Yammy, great bikes but need a bit more ooph. To go HD track is belt drive, something new, have helped a mate change one, what a real PIA.

Bike
    2010 YAMAHA XVS 1100
    Got a XVS1100.

Is low and will grind on corners quite easy.
    Have to remove the exhaust to do an oil filter change.
    Hi reving engine and sometimes searching for another gear.
    Very basic bike with no extra's which keeps them easy on the bank balance.
    I get around 250 kms out of 12 liters of gas. That's about when I hit reserve.
    Nicely balanced and easy to manoeuvre through the motorway traffic.
    Have put 35000 kms on mine with no problems.

Bike
    If any help read somehwere there is a mod kit so you don't have to remove exhaust good site... ..here...https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...-modifications

Was another mod to tie up carb vent hose as it is affected by wind (too much cauliflower me thinks).

Thread Information