Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre recommendations for front?

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    There is no need to match tyres provi ding you're not an idiot about it. An aggressive rear profile and a touring front is gonna feel funny, the other way round and you're gonna notice it too but differently.

There are bikes that benefit from that though.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    but hell bike tires are cheap as chips if i have to spend 700 bucks on a pair every 4000kms frankly its loose change to me.
    We all have our own priorities but I'm having trouble reconciling that sentence with the bike you ride. I'd be expecting something more like a BMW S1000RR.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    We all have our own priorities but I'm having trouble reconciling that sentence with the bike you ride. I'd be expecting something more like a BMW S1000RR.
    I have a habit of buying cheap ass old bikes, if i go drop 20k on a shiny new thou ill just end up babying it. i really dont care if i total a $800 bike.

The way i see it tyres are your life on a bike.

$700 bucks for decent tyres is worth my life to me. Hence i didn't go spend 3k on a tidy bike i would much rather buy a sad one and put the best tyres, pads etc on it.

Basically i have too many expensive hobbies, so if i go blow too much on a bike then putting expensive tyres on it isn't as viable.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    The C**t.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    There is no need to match tyres provi ding you're not an idiot about it. An aggressive rear profile and a touring front is gonna feel funny, the other way round and you're gonna notice it too but differently.

Going to look into what you've recommended as i know you're on the same bike and arn't a sunday stroller

Cheers for advice everybody will do some digging on tyres mentioned.
    To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead.

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Tuono Factory

With the Metzler M7RR they reckon the wet weather performance depends on the front clearing the water for the rear, maybe just marketing talk of course.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    With the Metzler M7RR they reckon the wet weather performance depends on the front clearing the water for the rear, maybe just marketing talk of course.
    How does that work when the front and rear track in a different place when leant over?

Front tyre tread doesn't do a whole lot till there's quite a bit of water. Contact patch is small enough and shaped in a way that naturally clears water. Watch bucket racers on slicks in the pissing rain. It's really impressive.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris View Post
    It's not necessarily marketing talk, that is how some pairs of tyres are designed to work.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    You have to consider the effects of different profiles if you mix and match. A Pilot Power 3 front and RoadSmart 2 rear were fine together as they both have rounded profiles. But replacing the front with a SportSmart didn't work well at all.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    You have to consider the effects of different profiles if you mix and match. A Pilot Power 3 front and RoadSmart 2 rear were fine together as they both have rounded profiles. But replacing the front with a SportSmart didn't work well at all.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
    like I said. Don't be a retard about it and it's all good. Do the same combo on a Hornet and you speed the steering up nicely.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    To much thinking. Slow down if you arn't comfortable sliding in the wet. Tyres feel planted until the let go. At some stage they will let go. Best not get to that stage.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    my little pony
    I measure the performance of my choice of tyres in rain or ice conditions. In the summer, same tyres, performance is a given. In the winter, the tyre temperature has to be kept up, so if you lose confidence and slow down, the tyres cool down and make it worse.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    I measure the performance of my choice of tyres in rain or ice conditions. In the summer, same tyres, performance is a given. In the winter, the tyre temperature has to be kept up, so if you lose confidence and slow down, the tyres cool down and make it worse.
    Yep, righto Rossi.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    It's only on the track that the S20s start to exhibit their limitations quickly. Think I was two seconds a lap slower on these than on Pilot Race hoops. But it was only a track day on the Bridgestones as opposed to proper racing on the Michies.

The rear would light up off the hairpin (which looks very cool but isn't fast), and the bike was hard to settle through the sweeper.
    Had them out in the wet Drew?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    The C**t.
    Ive never got a tyre up to temp in the wet in my life, on a cold road in winter covered in water id be very suprised if you can actually get enough heat into your tyres to make any difference.

Wet surface perhaps but in rain i doubt it.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Drew;1131003522] Do the same combo on a Hornet and you speed the steering up nicely.[/QUOTE

A few years back BIKE mag in one of their tyre tests interviewed a Michelin engineer. Their testing had indicated that the various Michelin tyres under test had different profiles. The answer was that yes, the profiles were indeed different. The sports tyres had a sharper profile than the sport touring tyres because the sports bike riders wanted quick steering. Funny thing was that the racing tyres are rounder profile because the racers want precision and consistency.

A less charitable soul than me might conclude that the sharper profile of the sport tyres should be filed under the heading of wank factor.

Thread Information