Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyre recommendations for front?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarko View Post
    Well gee wizz mr fancy pants and here i am with carbies and a twisting wrist while you ride an iBike...

doesn't it get boring with the assists?
    No, there's nothing boring about an SDR. They do what it says on the box, when they're turned on, which is mainly to save my arse if I overcook shit.

I don't think it's saved my arse yet. I often ride with the ABS off on the back only, but when that's not the case there's still been numerous times when the back has drifted out a bit, and it's possible that the TC intervened to a small degree on one or more of those occasions and it's possible that may have prevented a highside.

If maybe not leaping into the front of an oncoming truck is boring then you got me.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Yeah mate. Really good, lots of confidence.
    Good, good. I really liked the OE Dunlops but they didn't have them, so S20s it is.

Asked just because I've had the impression from some sportier tyres, (Diablos in particular) that they've sacrificed cold performance to get the ultimate performance at design temps.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Good, good. I really liked the OE Dunlops but they didn't have them, so S20s it is.

Asked just because I've had the impression from some sportier tyres, (Diablos in particular) that they've sacrificed cold performance to get the ultimate performance at design temps.
    Doablos were the last sports touring tyres I rode on before the S20. Was a bloody long time ago, but I thought they were fucken shite. Terrible grip dry or wet. Prolly better now, (Christ knows they can't be worse), I honestly expected the Bridgestones to be the same.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Doablos were the last sports touring tyres I rode on before the S20. Was a bloody long time ago, but I thought they were fucken shite. Terrible grip dry or wet. Prolly better now, (Christ knows they can't be worse), I honestly expected the Bridgestones to be the same.
    Tyre development over the last 10 years has been amazing. Probably longer. But there's not many products where you see such obvious improvements on such short development cycles. Off for a wee trip south in a couple of weeks, will see how the S20s manage those sharp roads.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries

I have noticed when I stop on a cold day expecting to have warm tyres they are a lot hotter than I was expecting. I was all about S20s and before that conti sport attacks but now I am hooked on the Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. Only down side is they cost a bit.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Tyre development over the last 10 years has been amazing. Probably longer. But there's not many products that where you see such obvious improvements on such short development cycles. Off for a wee trip south in a couple of weeks, will see how the S20s manage those sharp roads.
    That shit is hard on any hoops. OAB got less than half the k's out of his S20s than I've had, and mine are still mint.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I have noticed when I stop on a cold day expecting to have warm tyres they are a lot hotter than I was expecting. I was all about S20s and before that conti sport attacks but now I am hooked on the Pirelli Supercorsa SP V2. Only down side is they cost a bit.
    I check sometimes too. The only things that stood out for me was the Mich PPs seemed more consistent, temp wise. And a bit of rain cools anything down right quick.

How much are the Supercorsas? Not that I should be asking, I'm pinching pennys for a while, income's likely to be up and down a bit...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    That shit is hard on any hoops. OAB got less than half the k's out of his S20s than I've had, and mine are still mint.
    Tell me about it, I trashed a near new PR3 in record time a couple of Burts ago.

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher View Post
    I always go for ex race tyres or cheap deals so i have been through a fair few number of tyres and have had a chance to try out most new tyres.

The best sports tyres i have tried (in no particular order):
    Pirelli Rosso IIs - Now Rosso IIIs
    Dunlop Sportsmart2s
    Bridgestone S20 Evo - Now S21

All of those are good tyres and will out perform most sports riders, and they all have duel compounds so you can get reasonable milage out of the centers.

Typically every hypersport tyre i have tried i have liked but these will be in order:
    Michelin Power Cups
    Bridgestone RS10s
    Dunlop Q3s
    Pirelli Supercorsa SC# and Metzler Racetec RR K# are tied.
    I havent tried supercorsa SPs but they are the same as the SC# but with road focused compounds.
    Not sure I'd include Q3s with the hyper sport tyres - possibly somewhere in between? The last set lasted 8,000 km on the R1, although there wasn't much tread left on the rear.

I've just fitted a set of Metzler M7RR, and prefer them to the Q3 for road riding. Even better rear grip and more precise steering. I just hope they heat cycle OK in summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    S21 is out now. Apparently betterer than the S20 and S20 Evo. Apparently.

Are we not blessed for excellent rubber.

I half expected to see recommendations of Pilot Power 2 or 3's given NZ's love of Michelins and they tend to be priced well. Plus the P 2 or 3 rear has a fairly similar tread pattern to the Shinko the OP is running on the rear so may well be a good choice for the front?

Bike
    1999 Yamaha R1
    The Power 3 front is a good tyre. Hated the rear though - it scared me so much that I replaced it when it was half worn. Had more slides in 4,000 km than all the other tyres I've used in the last 5 years put together.

They get good reviews though. Poor QC perhaps?

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    S21 is out now. Apparently betterer than the S20 and S20 Evo. Apparently.

Are we not blessed for excellent rubber.

I half expected to see recommendations of Pilot Power 2 or 3's given NZ's love of Michelins and they tend to be priced well. Plus the P 2 or 3 rear has a fairly similar tread pattern to the Shinko the OP is running on the rear so may well be a good choice for the front?
    It is an S21 on the SDR now that you mention it.

I tried most of the Michelins, all good, liked the PP3 less, the soft carcase squirming around seemed to obscure actual road surface feedback some.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post
    The Power 3 front is a good tyre. Hated the rear though - it scared me so much that I replaced it when it was half worn. Had more slides in 4,000 km than all the other tyres I've used in the last 5 years put together.

PP3 front and rear, on the 2nd one for the rear and a third very soon, I love them. S21's would have to prove themselves for milage before I would consider them.

Bike
    89 GS500, 89 ZXR400, 93 RGV250, 14 MT07
    Quote Originally Posted by Moise View Post

Same. Horrible tyre, couldnt take it off quick enough. My mate had trouble with one on his 848 too, left black lines out of most corners.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I check sometimes too. The only things that stood out for me was the Mich PPs seemed more consistent, temp wise. And a bit of rain cools anything down right quick.

How much are the Supercorsas? Not that I should be asking, I'm pinching pennys for a while, income's likely to be up and down a bit...
    800 odd a set. I don't do huge amount of kms so its not as bad for me. I would likely be forced to change if I was doing 10k plus a year.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Thread Information