Thread: Half year work and travel on a bike! Need some help

Bike
    yamaha xs 400 caferacer, ktm exc 200

Smile Half year work and travel on a bike! Need some help

Hello guys,
    Iam Till, 19 years old, from Germany and planing to visit your beautiful country from december 2016 to june 2017.
    In Germany iam usualy a Motocross or Enduro rider, I ride some races and really like to bild caferacers and stuff like that.
    Thats the reason why I want to spend my half year in new Zealand on a Bike, traveling around and live in a tent.
    I searched already for a nice bike on trademe and iam a bit shocked about the very small new zealand motorcycle Market (compared to germany).

So my question to you guys : who is going to sell a road legal, four stroke enduro bike from 250ccm for max. 2000 NZD this december?
    I mean bikes like, Honda XR, Yamaha XT TT, Kawasaki klx, Suzuki DR /Z, or similar.
    It need to be able to go offroad, because I want to go "enduro-hiking" (so its called in germany) But it have to be "big" enough to ride longer distances on the road.

Iam searching also for other kind Motorcycle rider to go for a ride together, to meet each other, to camp in their Garden or even work for room and board Iam a good motorcycle mechanic and could fix your bike, or make small custom builds for example
    It would be great to hear from you in a private message!

best regards from Germany
    Till

here you find some pictures of me, my bikes and have fun with them
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-IMG_2607.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	342.1 KB 
ID:	324794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-IMG_1419.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	324795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-IMG_1005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	324796   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-IMG_0178.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	324797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-IMG_0130.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	315.9 KB 
ID:	324798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k-fmx über finn.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	220.3 KB 
ID:	324799  

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    nzd$ 2000 is not going to get you very much at all

a dr 650 would suit you well, but they go for at least twice that figure - even in tired condition
    =mjc=

Bike
    Yo momma
    www.trademe.co.nz is the NZ ebay.
    Don't show up and expect to get around the country for free like the French do...

Bike
    Hello jim.cox and jasonu,
    I know that problem, but when I sell my caferacer here in Germany I have around 2000 or probably 2300 NZD.
    But i dont need a perfekt bike, it just have to work well and it can be old too. (from mid 80īs to late 90īs)
    maybe I have some luck and find a good bike.
    I dont expect to "get around the country for free", the problem is just that i dont have more money for a bike.
    Or do you mean something else?
    Thank you but i know trademe and searched there already.

best regards
    Till

Bike
    2012 Suzuki Boulevard M50
    Welcome to the site Till, and an early welcome to New Zealand even though you haven't arrived yet,

You will find New Zealand a lot different to Germany, mainly because of population. While NZ is about the size of England/Scotland/Wales it's population is only 4 1/2 million people. Major towns (20,000 people) are about 50 to 80 km apart, and the road speed is very regulated (100 km/hr max on the open road). You might average 80 km/hr on road trips, there's more corners and more to look at. I ride a cruiser and find that 400 km is a good day's ride - mind I'm 68 so maybe a young Buck like yourself can go further.

However, as far as our motorbike market is concerned we have less choice and prices are likely to be higher. Spare parts are expensive too, unless you can wait to bring something in from overseas.

Late December to early February is our main school holiday season and holiday places are packed (Mt Maunganui, Whitianga, Wangamata, Taupo). Best riding season is December to May, Autumn is May to July and by June, peopl;e ride all year round but add layers under their gear in the colder months. Further south can get cold, and generally wet and windy. June, maybe just naybe you could strike snow in the South Island, maybe best to get down south (Invercargill) and work your way north so you end up in Auckland in June. However fantastic roads everywhere, lots of great rides.

Get a copy of "Twisting Throttle - New Zealand", the late Mike Hyde wrote about 50 great New Zealand rides on sealed roads and off. His other two books are great reads too, "Twisted Throttle - Australia" and "Twisted Throttle - USA", but for his New Zealand book he changed the format and described his favourite rides. Stay on KiwiBiker and you'll get heaps of help.

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by Till View Post
    I dont expect to "get around the country for free", the problem is just that i dont have more money for a bike.
    Or do you mean something else

best regards
    Till
    It was a dig at this prick.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11713188

While NZ is a very nice place to visit you will find it very expensive. Day to day stuff will drain your cash quick.

Bike
    gsx250
    There's a group on Facebook called adventure riding new Zealand. They have a pretty good map of different trails you can ride on legally and people who should be able to help you.

http://www.adventureridingnz.co.nz/gps-tracks-rides/

There's also a couple of motorcycle buy and sell pages on Facebook which are nz specific. It's a bit hit and miss with a fair amount of lemons and dreamers but since you know your way around bikes you should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Hello,
    Thanks for the great tipps !
    I already loggend in to the groups on Facebook.
    The Adventure nz site will also help me, Thanks for that.

It will be possible to find a bike in that price range like you found on trademe and you also found a tenere that i had forgot to search for.
    But its easyer when i could arrange a bike before Iam in New Zealand, therefore my questions here in the forum.

So if someone have a idea wich other bike would suit well, or even have a bike, just let me know.

I heared nothing before about the frenchman, but I know about the mass of backpacker in newzealand and can understand that someone had bad ecperience, or just dont like them.
    But I assure you, I wont be a bourbon for anyone!

And i dont plan to demage road signs

Thanks for your help!
    Best regards Till

Thread Information